Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
keljonma said:
BTW - are you still on for the July 4 SS gathering at your place??
We are having a July 4th cookout, but that's not the SS gathering, that's our annual cookout for our family and friends. You're more than welcome to come! It's Sunday the 4th at 3 pm.

The SS cookout is July 23-24 at the Harrison State Forest. :)
TR has to work half a day on the 4th, so I don't think we'll be able to make it - but thank you for the offer! :D

I think we will be at my sister L's house on the 4th ..... they are having the family gathering this year. As well as the great picnic we will have there, they are painting the wood trim on their house. So I expect there will be a "painting party" as well as cook-out. TR and I have been helping with the painting the past week, and there is still a LOT of painting to do.

We will check our schedules and see if we can make it to the SS cookout on the 23-24. Sounds like fun! :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
It seems like the days are flying by - and not enough time in the day to get done everything we need to get done.

My second brooder in the barn is all framed in, just need to finish attaching the wire to it. I had hoped to get it done today, but we had too much other stuff to do.

Thought I'd work on it tomorrow morning, but I'm going to be at Becca's helping her mom cut up the meaties.

We're also trying to expand the pasture and get our yard cleaned up for our Fourth of July cookout on Sunday.

Seems things never end! :barnie

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I know the feeling! I want to go and helpd DD fix her yard up for her birthday party, but I can't even get out of here til about 11am on any given day. And then I need to make sure I get back by 5 pm latest to start evening chores. But heck, I rather be in my predicament, than working 8-5 in some stupid little cubicle with stupid little people ;)

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
I've been feeling the same way for a couple of weeks. Other than watering, my poor garden hasn't gotten much attention. Hopefully this weekend, we can get everything back into ship shape again. I have to keep reminding myself that I dreamed of this all winter... :lol:

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Whew! this day has been busy, too, and it's almost over and I'm not sure if I've managed to get enough done. :/

This morning went to Becca's and her mom taught me how to quarter up a chicken. I even cut the breast off the bone so I have boneless chicken breasts! It was much easier than I expected it to be, and I'm so darn excited over these new abilities that I'm learning that I'm a little sad that there's not more chickens ready to butcher and quarter up. :lol:

Dinner tonight is going to be old fashioned fried chicken - with fresh chicken!!

I picked up some quart size canning jars today and I checked to be sure I have everything here to make it, so after dinner I'm going to be working on making my first ever batch of homemade chicken stock. :celebrate

I have two bags of back, neck, and rib pieces from the chickens to make into stock. Becca's mom gave me a recipe to follow to make the stock, and I'm excited to get started!!

I plan to put the stock into quart jars, leave enough head room, and put the jars of stock in the freezer. The recipe says to freeze up to 6 months.

I think I am going to need to get another freezer - and order up some more meaties!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:ya

Next adventure - I think I'll try Becca's hatchet on some muscovy duck.....................

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
There is nothing at all like homemade stock! You will be so glad to have that treasure hidden away in the freezer. Isn't it amazing how many things we put off learning simply because we imagine they must be more difficult or involved than they really are? Congratulations on your new skill. ;)

All I did today was play with the bees and weed the garden. Are you guys getting the 40 nights and heavy morning fog? While I don't mind high temps in the mid to high 70s, I am not enjoying our 42 at night! :D

Have a terrific holiday!!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
We're not waking up to fog, but we're getting the chilly nights! Even our days have been a bit on the cooler side, especially towards evening.

Next week, it's supposed to be right back up to the 90's.