Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
We're Ok, I'm just stressed, feeling nauseous, and had posted what happened today here, and realized suddenly that I've been talking about stuff here and - it's all public!! Nothing is privatized, so it's not like only SS members are reading our journals....anyone can read our journals, member or not.

So, I panicked.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey Aly, glad to hear your learning new stuff. I thought you pretty much had the chicken department covered. I guess that goes to show we all can learn new things.

I made stock a while back. After thanksgiving I actually used several chickens and one turkey carcase. I was really surprised at how golden and flavorful it was. I pressured caned about 17 pints off one pot.

Good luck with it.

gina

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Next week, it's supposed to be right back up to the 90's.
We hit 92 today - hot and humid. It appears the rest of the week is going to be the same. Makes me really appreciate last week's 70s! :lol: We have been warmer than ds's place in Austin, TX!

Hope all is well with you. When you get a chance, can you email address info for the SS get together location so I can goggle it. Thanks!

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
We've been having a little bit of a busy week here, and trying to keep our minds off some other things.

Monday of course was Auction Day. But, because it was a Holiday Weekend, it was MUCH busier than normal.

And my neon sucker sign was flashing away.

When they got to the small animal part, the auctioneer sure was trying to get me to bid on things I didn't want. Like the 5 black bantam chicks I got for 25 cents each. :barnie They're going to Mt. Hope, not keeping them.

I also brought home 3 lop kits - black and white in color and super long ears! 1 boy 2 girls. I only paid $1.50 a bunny! I had to take all 3 because they were in a cage together, and when you bid you're taking it by the piece and everything in the cage. I plan to keep one of the girls and the other two will be sold at Mt. Hope with the baby Dukes.

The deal of the day was Becca's - she managed to get an adorable brand new chicken coop at Auction! We had to have E come up with the truck to get it home for her.

The auctioneer had said they'd load it for us with a skid loader - but when we were ready to load it, we couldn't find anyone. So, the guy who built it, E, Becca, and I were struggling to shove this little coop from the flat bed truck to E's truck.

At one point it got hung up on the wheel well inside the truck bed. Thank God for plastic bed liners, though, other wise it would NOT have just slid so easy.

Two other guys came by and saw that we were trying to get it moved over. I'm IN the truck, between the coop and cab, trying to pull while Becca, the builder, and E pushed. These two guys came over and gave a hand - but no one warned me they were all pushing!

Coop comes FLYING at me, my life flashes before my eyes, and I'm screaming, "Let me out first!!"

The men all bust up laughing, and they don't give me enough time to get out of the truck before they're shoving again!!!!!!! I'm on the side edge of the truck bed trying to get a good jump out - and I'm in open toed heeled sandals!!!

I hear Becca say, 'Is she out?" someone replies NO!!! and they're STILL SHOVING!!!

E comes running around the truck just as I jump down - spitting and sputtering and ready to plaster someone.

We had a laugh about it, but I wasn't too thrilled with almost being crushed to death -

Death By Coop. Can ya imagine??? I should have known chickens would be the death of me.

So we get it to Becca's, unloaded, and I helped her paint it white before we left. Still need to get her trim painted blue to match everything else.

It's super cute, though, and had 4 nest boxes and roost, 2 windows (one doesn't open), a big door for people access and a small pop door for a chicken yard.

I told her it would make a great Jaerhorn coop! :p :lol:

E suggested she put linoleum down on the floor before putting in birds to make clean up a little easier.

The only other interesting thing is yesterday I inquired after a job to a new feed store opening up in the town we go to get our water in. It would be close to home, and possibly a full time position. My resume has already been submitted and I have to go down and fill out an application tomorrow.

They are hoping to be opened by the end of July, and I'm hoping to be their first employee!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, that job is right up your alley!! Ha no pun intended. Good luck with it.

That little coop Becca got sounds cute. She better post some pics.

Have a great day!!

g

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yeah, someone that could actually answer a question about an animal's needs!!!

:fl for ya!

Death by coop.....hmmm, wonder what the obituary in the paper would read like.... :gig

Quail_Antwerp

Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
Death by COOP! :lol: What a way for you to go!! :lol: :lol:
Yea, I know, right?

Lori, I see the right up in the paper looking like this:

'Death by Coop"
A local woman was crushed to death today while assisting in loading a coop for her friend.
'It happened so fast," her husband lamented. 'None of us thought to tell her to jump.'
The woman was in the back of the pick up as four large farm boys shoved the 6x4 coop into the bed, crushing her between the coop and truck cap.
Funeral arrangements are in the works.
She leaves behind a lot of farm chores.
Donations to help keep her poultry cared for can be sent to "Poultry Fund 555 Bank Road Crushed, Ohio".

:gig

Today is going to be another busy day. I've got to start snapping green beans this morning for canning (we picked a full bushel) and have two more rows of beans to pick tonight.

This afternoon we have an appointment so mom is coming to sit with the kids. We over slept, so right now I'm trying to get coffee, woke up, and find my good side.