Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Wow Aly! So much exciting stuff going on, and geeze what a wonderful group of friends!!

So I guess the timing has changed on moving the house? I thought you said next month but it seems like things are just moving along.

I don't recall reading where or how you met this group of friends but I can tell that they are very good for you and E! What a terrific group :)

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I spent the entire month of July saying we're going to try to move the house in August...today is August 1 - LOL - so yes, we're hoping to move it this month!

I met B at the local livestock Auction. We bought our little black heifer calf from him. Kind of built on the friendship from there.

We just met his brother N a couple weeks ago - but they're both so friendly and mild mannered and easy going! It's not hard to be friends with people like that.

justusnak, I wanted to answer your question from earlier - we're not tearing down the trailer we're in now until the other one is here and we're moved into it. :D

I see the rest of my summer being super busy right on into fall and winter!

OH, and tomorrow is mine and E's anniversary!! It's 14 years to the day of our first date, and 12 years of marriage! (yes, we married on the anniversary of our first date lol)

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
wow!!! happy anniversary and wow and double wow on all the good helping!!!

arent you SO excited!

:)

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
WOW!!! Truly wonderful to have such awsome neighbors helping you out! The closest Amish community to me is about 20 miles away. I think its great that you have such a close relationship with them :)

This is all so exciting, and glad you made it through your slump! ;) I'm excited for you! :hugs

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow, Aly so much has been done. The Amish friends you have made sound wonderful. I can't wait to see what happens next. It's nice to hear your doing better as well. :hugs

gina

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
:celebrate to Aly and E!!

Ya just gotta love the Amish and Mennonite communities! They are some of the sweetest folks you could ever ask for. I thank God every day that we live close enough to enjoy their company and their work ethic.

emilosevich

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
So glad everything is getting done quickly for you. Aren't the Amish the best when they get to working. lol. So nice to have such helpful friends that are willing to barter.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Cool beans! I don't have as much computer time as I used to, but I always catch up on your journal. I'm so happy for you! Loved the photos!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Today is our Anniversary!!! :celebrate We're going to the livestock auction this afternoon to "celebrate" lolol

I want to thank ALL of you for sharing in our excitement and wishing us well and congratulating us on the new place. :) It's wonderful to have friends who are genuinely happy for us and with us! :ya :ya

Yesterday our neighbor had a baby shower for her daughter. I took my camera up and they were thrilled that I had because none of them had theirs with them. So I took lots of pics for them and plan to get them printed and put on cd for them as part of our baby gift for them. The mom-to-be was 10 years old at our wedding 12 years ago :th

Then last night, my mom watched our kids for several hours so we could "go out" for our anniversary. We didn't go on a "date" but went to my brother's MIL's house, because my brother JUST got in from Germany last week :weee We spent a good 2 hours visiting with my brother and his wife - which was wonderful.

We called mom to let her know we were on our way home, and to expect us by 11 pm. Well, it was an hour later than that when we got home because we almost killed 5 dairy cows with our van! :ep

We were cruising down the main road - which is an extremely busy and 55 MPH road - and came right smack into a herd of dairy! E slammed on the brakes - and we weren't getting stopped!! He had the brakes smashed too the floor and all we heard was "screeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeech" and then bam! (and several cows pooped!)

We hit - well, actually bumped into - because by then we were almost but not quite stopped - one of them. It actually gave us a look like, 'do you mind? i'm walking here!' :rolleyes:

The worst part was, another car was coming from the other direction - and once all of the cows moved into our lane, the other car didn't slow down at all!!

So we stopped at a little house on our right - and they directed us to the farm that we had just passed. Went down to that farm, and the farmer comes out with a light and he and E walked the road with E showing him where we saw the cows.

They never found the cows. But, E walked to the man's barn with him to see if his cows were in there and then they walked to the pasture to see if his cows (he said he only has 9 head) were back there. I in the meantime am sitting in the drivers side of the van, keys in the ignition, windows up and doors locked, watching to see if that man came back a lone - you know, because of all those scary movies E watches where when the people trying to do a good deed get whacked off by the person they're trying to help?

I'm not kidding, I was praying while E was out of sight and said, 'Lord, if that farmer comes back and E is NOT with him, I'm going to run him down with the van and go for help - so please forgive me!"

Yes, I realize that wasn't rational - but it was past 11 pm at night and PITCH DARK and he WAS a stranger!

But, they both came back and the guy was a super nice and they said his cows were still in the back pasture.

As we were leaving he said, "If ya'll need firewood, I've got a bunch back there free for the taking if you come cut it up and clean it up." :th We might take him up on that!

On the way home, E told me that while they were in the pasture and the farmer (who was 74 years old, but he only looked 50!!!!) was shining his light around and they saw a little kitten. The farmer said, "Oh look, a little stray kitty out here." E said he looked closer and said, 'That's not a cat! it's a baby skunk!" so they both took off through the gate :gig

So it was a good night - with an OK ending - and today it's back to work with the Amish logging - lol

And this afternoon, we're going to Auction!! WHOOT!!!!