questions on several how to's

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
Since we're picking brains here, is there a way to use animal fat in oil lamps? Or does someone have a recipe or idea on making your own oil for these lamps?

pioneergirl

Wannabe Pioneer
Reaction score
THANX!!!! Thats what I was looking for....that will give the DH more to look for on the net, heehee

again, thank you!! :hugs

FarmerDenise

Out to pasture
Reaction score
I made my own ACV this year. I simply put the apples including skins through the blender to chop them up, I needed to add some water to make it work, then put the whole mess into a 5 gallon food grade pail for a few days, covered with a t shirt to keep bugs and dust out. then I strained it through a muslin cloth and put it in glass jars, covered with fabric to keep the dust and bugs out. I left it for about 3 months. First it turned to hard cider and then into vinegar. I stirred it up every day or so with a long stick that fit into the opening of the bottles. I forgot to stir it a few times, but it turned out well. Then I poured it into smaller bottles that I had caps for.
I think it was worth the effort to get my own organic unpasteurized ACV. I didn't have to pay any money for any of it, I just had to work for it all. And that was ok with me.

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The last I looked at the euro, which was admittedly about 2 months ago, 100 euro was in the range of 150 US dollars. I would think it is still around that.

krzybo

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
FarmerDenise said:
I made my own ACV this year. I simply put the apples including skins through the blender to chop them up, I needed to add some water to make it work, then put the whole mess into a 5 gallon food grade pail for a few days, covered with a t shirt to keep bugs and dust out. then I strained it through a muslin cloth and put it in glass jars, covered with fabric to keep the dust and bugs out. I left it for about 3 months. First it turned to hard cider and then into vinegar. I stirred it up every day or so with a long stick that fit into the opening of the bottles. I forgot to stir it a few times, but it turned out well. Then I poured it into smaller bottles that I had caps for.
I think it was worth the effort to get my own organic unpasteurized ACV. I didn't have to pay any money for any of it, I just had to work for it all. And that was ok with me.
This sounds great. I am going to try this when our apples come in. Do you add just enough water to blend the apples in the blender?
Thanks for the post.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Morgaine said:
Old Fashioned, You might be really interested in this blog, she is using a hand cranked expeller machine to make her own oil.

http://uncledutchfarms.blogspot.com/2010/01/making-sunflower-oil-and-pumpkin-seed.html
That is awesome and thanks for the link. If I'm reading the euro price right and Orchick's info is about right, that means approx $150 US? That may be a bit of a $tretch for us right now, but yes definately on the wish list....oh why can't I find one of THOSE at a thrift shop??? ;)
It only mentions doing seeds for oil, but I wonder if it would work for corn, olive and/or canola?

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
There's one on ebay for $125 plus $6 shipping.