Rathbone: Eggs for Hatching, Eggs for Eating, Eggs, Eggs, Eggs

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
In addition to actual "eggy" things, bake stuff--whatever baking recipes you have that take eggs, and freeze them. Muffins, waffles, loaf cakes, brownies, cookies--whatever you have the other ingredients for. :)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
wel i found out theres a book called 101 things to do with eggs...

but off the top of my head...
lemon meringue (whites for the meringe, the yolks go into the lemon curd filling)
obviously quiche
ooo scotch eggs...nommy!
custard
ice cream
fried rice
frittata
egg noodles

eggs make a nice natural face mask/anti wrinkle tratment too.
http://www.natural-homeremedies-for-life.com/egg-face-mask.html

and you can always feed them back to the chickens...
and crush up the shells to use them around the garden!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Now I want lemon meringue pie.

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Maybe we can get Cheerio to make us some. Oh, Cheerio... :hide

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
When I have extra eggs I like to spend an afternoon making pasta. The results can be dried or frozen (though I haven't yet figured out how to keep the long, thin types from shattering when they are dried, so I freeze them; lasagna noodles dry and store nicely). Ravioli or tortellini I freeze, because of the filling. I also like to make eggy breads, brioche or challah (There was a recipe on BYC for a lovely bread that took something like a dozen eggs!). Lemon curd is good for using yolks, if you also have lemons (or orange curd, with some of your extra oranges ;)) Meringues will use up whites, but I don't particularly like them so I would rather make macaroons or amaretti. Or, as mentioned, they freeze well. In my experience the yolks don't freeze as well, but that could be because I am stingy with the salt or sugar, so it is probably my fault. And, not for keeping but for eating today, I love caramel custard. And, as they are mini-eggs, pickling is nice. You can make interesting deviled eggs from pickled eggs, and the mini size makes them extra attractive. (Replace some of the mayo with yogurt, if you feel the need to cut back)

pinkfox

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i use greek yorgurt inplace of mayo ALOT...
I also cant help but wonder how deviled eggs made with avacado in place of mayo would taste...i replace mayo alot as i dont raly like and gree yohurt and avacado are my mayo replacments of choice.

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Soooo many good ideas. Scotch eggs I am going to look up - I have no idea what those are. Caramel custard? Is that anything like flan? And pasta, I am definitely making pasta. I happen to be in possession of some avocados. I think I am going to test PinkFox's idea of using the avocado in place of the mayo. Sounds very gourmet (and way healthy too).
What I actually did with the eggs was probably quite boring compared to your ideas but... I made pickled eggs. I did hot spicy eggs, sweet pickled eggs, eggs in pickled beet juice, curried eggs...etc., you get the idea. The jars look gorgeous lining the back of the top shelf of my fridge. We have to wait a couple of weeks to start sampling but I am really excited about these. Funny thing was that I had taken the jars to different friends houses and just this minute I got a call from a lady over at the Culture Dept. "Hey, I just saw your man over on the west side of the Rez with something in jars...what you make?" In the end I promised to make some eggs and drop them by Culture later this week.

Currently I am working on asparagus. I have about 20 lb. to work through. I have been eating asparagus frittata, and cream of asparagus soup. I haven't tried it yet, but grilling them looked good. And I have looked at the pickled asparagus recipe in the Ball Blue Book and I will definitely be trying that.
Any other ideas???

This weekend I am getting cases of pears and apples - hoping to do apple and pear butter. Bountiful Baskets was offering hard red wheat also - but I have nothing to grind it with! MEH! My list of things I think I need to do the things I want ALWAYS but always exceeds my income.

In other news, my eggs in my incubator hatched. Or perhaps I should point out that ONE EGG hatched. The lady who gave them to me had warned me that fertility was low but...I still had my fingers crossed so tightly I had practically cut off the circulation. I really did expect more than one chick. And to top it off, that chick didn't make it. sigh.
On a good note, she is going to send me more eggs now that she has changed out the roosters. So...hopefully I should have something. Beggers cannot be choosers. I am really setting my heart on this. This would be my flock for year 2013.

And...how was your week?

CheerioLounge

Dessert Dreamer
Reaction score
I never acquired a taste for anything pickled... not even pickles! :tongue Now grilled asparagus, that's another story! Looooove it!! :drool

Sorry about your hatch! :fl for the next batch. Would a broody silkie be more reliable? I've never done either, so I'm curious...

rathbone

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The silkies are miracle workers when it comes to hatching but these eggs...well the silkies would have needed magical abilities. The lady had said her roo was old and that fertility would be low. She was spot on. I did eggtopsy all the eggs this morning. They were all infertile and showed no development whatsoever. It made my heart easier. I hate setting eggs and the eggs NOT hatching. It leaves this niggling doubt in your mind: are the chicks dying in the egg?, Did I do something wrong and therefore I am to blame for them not hatching? I know I am making it sound melodramatic but it really does feel like that. When the eggs start pipping, I tend to sit and look at the eggs that are not pipping, wondering if the babies are dying a slow death inside the egg. I start questioning myself as to whether I turned them correctly, did the heat fluctuate, did I not have the humidity high enough. I have noticed that back when I had an automatic egg turner, I wasn't as emotionally invested. Something about hand turning them three times a day, makes me feel more attached and responsible for what the outcome is.
I kind of feel silly saying all that but, there it is. I have issues with guilt over unhatched eggs...:th