reCaps - pour spouts for mason jars

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
My absolute favorite new thing in the kitchen are recaps. They screw onto a mason jar (two sizes) so you can have a pour spout that seals. Kinda pricey at Amazon, $6.99 each, but wow! I love these things. I have one regular, one wide mouth. And I'm ordering another one of each size.

http://www.amazon.com/reCAP-Origina...ie=UTF8&qid=1365341536&sr=8-1&keywords=recaps

I tried to snag the pic, but no success.

Anyway, between the reCaps and the Ball plastic screw on lids for mason jars, I use jars for practically everything. And a dry erase pen made it even easier!

moolie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Interesting idea, what do you specifically use them for? Pretty pricey for a lid!

I googled the name and also found their website http://www.recapmasonjars.com/ and a photo for you:

71Ta7QykjTL.jpg

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I have about a dozen of the old style that fit on the wire bale type mason jars [the kind that use a rubber ring for a seal.] The most unique one is a early sippy cup top.

ORChick

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
~gd said:
I have about a dozen of the old style that fit on the wire bale type mason jars [the kind that use a rubber ring for a seal.] The most unique one is a early sippy cup top.
I didn't know about those; any chance for a picture?

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I never knew those existed. I've to have a couple. I store my goat milk and my kefir in glass jars.... these will make it much easier to pour from!

Emerald

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I use the green tops off from parmigiana bottles for shaker tops on my mason jars.. they fit on the regular mouth jars really well. while I do kinda have a plastic phobia I have been putting my parma cheese into a mason jar with their own top for years so that the cheese is not sitting in plastic in the fridge. I have also used them to spread fine seeds mixed with sand or other light soilless mixes to get a better spread in my carrots and radishes too. and the snap down top keeps me from spilling it all over on the way to the garden. but I really like those spouts. I may have to pick up a couple. would be fantastic for syrups or honey..

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Emerald, that's a great idea for the parm lids....

This is why I loooove this forum - you pick up the greatest tidbits of info here - along with great big ol pieces of information too!

Marianne

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
frustratedearthmother said:
I never knew those existed. I've to have a couple. I store my goat milk and my kefir in glass jars.... these will make it much easier to pour from!
Exactly! I use it for kefir and when I get goat milk from the neighbor, too!

I read some reviews on the 4 pack - some have used them on jars with pourable stuff like rice, barley, salad dressings.

One complained that the spout lid won't stay up when she pours. It won't. But all you have to do is rotate the jar a bit, so the spout lid is just a bit to the side. Bingo, no problem.

Emerald, that's a great idea about honey and syrups. I heard about the parm lids a while back. I still have a ways to go before I'm done with the cheese and can use the lid.

I also save spice containers with the shake lids for spreading fine seeds (I mix with sand, then into the container). I have DE in one spice container for powdering the dogs/cats for fleas, sprinkling on plants for some bug control, whatever... simple things that are pretty handy to have around.

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
ORChick said:
~gd said:
I didn't know about those; any chance for a picture?
NOPE I worked professionally with film for five years. Then came the electronic crap. I gave away my equipment and havent taken a picture in years. Crazy Right?

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
After reading this thread, I feel so much smarter! :lol: Parmeasan cheese lids.....who knew? What a great idea! And pour spouts for mason jars? The possibilities are endless!! Thanks ya'll!!!!