the little wild kingdom

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
we put a pause (i opened the garage door) on the wild turkey family walking up the driveway. there's not much open ground here for them to want to be here and they've not been an issue in the past (in nearly 30 years they've rarely come into the yard).

of course the little ones are verry cyooote! it seems they hatched two batches because there are some the size of a small football and then others about the size of a softball.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I saw 3 hens and 20-30 youngins this morn on way to work! Cute kinda. Fun to see them all together.

the corn fields around us are all tall enough now that we don't see that much of them but in the fall and through the spring we can usually see large groups of them out foraging.

now we may see them along the edge of the road as they are crossing or in a few other open areas.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
today i did a whopping 10 minutes of weeding and that was it. i had to get inside to clean up my room a bit before a few visitors arrived.

later after brunch i did a walk around half hour or more tour and talk with my cousin and that was fun and then later walked my aunt down the pathway but she wasn't very steady on the uneven pathway so we didn't go further. my counsin would like to come back sometime with her husband to have him see what's going on here and also perhaps to get some plants which i would be glad that they take.

it was a nice day to have off, my body needed a rest and relax day. it was getting pretty hot and humid out there so i would have been inside the afternoon anyways.

the south field was being mowed this morning when i went out to put some things in the garage so i walked over and talked to the neighbor from down the road who was mowing it. as i walked through the cedar trees at the edge of our lot i could see all the thistle fuzz flying on the breeze right into our back gardens. i hope the trees caught a lot more of those than it appeared.

i talked with him for a few minutes and expressed my regret that they could not have mowed earlier in the season before the seeds were developed and ready to go airborne... i'll not repeat the rest of the conversation because it wasn't very useful and it didn't resolve the problem (he could have stopped mowing until the wind shifted to another direction some other time). oh well. such is life. there's now many billion more thistle seeds in that field than were there before. the birds won't eat them all... anyways we did talk a bit about other things too, but i'm pretty sure this guy doesn't really like me anyways so there was no surprise with me about how it generally went. and i'm sure it's not all his fault either so there's that too... sometimes i can be difficult and he's an ex-police officer so there's a bit of a clash built in to that interaction no matter what. two very different people... obviously we don't spend much time talking to each other, i didn't even know he'd lost his wife a few years ago. i'm not an out-and-about person too often.

gardens are doing ok. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
it rained a few times last night and maybe it will give us some more rain today. :)

i am trying to get some pictures edited and posted to the website, but not quite there yet. distracted by new posts... :) (ooh shiny!)

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
a few pictures from June of the north garden thyme.

DSC_20240605_132530-0400_2329_Full_Bloom_thm.jpg

DSC_20240605_132655-0400_2333_Purple_Thyme_thm.jpg

in the foreground of this one (the larger image link below) there are a lot of honeybees foraging. :)

DSC_20240605_132655-0400_2333_Purple_Thyme.jpg

Last edited:

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Beautiful!

it sure is, love that bright color. it's just now starting to bloom again, but i don't think it puts on as much of a bright show this time around. we'll see. at least i got it weeded recently well enough that i can get another picture of it if it does show up nice again. :)

the whole bottom part edge was covered with a lot of debris from the daffodils so i didn't get a good picture from that angle. would be nice to get one this time if it does get showy. might do it anyways since before and after pictures of disasters are usually good. :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i spend very little time weeding that thyme compared to how much time i have to spend weeding those bare areas and the onion patch.