Things To Know Before Getting Geese

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
2 things to note

1. An eagle killed one of my geese. Female, about 6 weeks old. She was already at full size, or at least very close... but there was almost zero breast muscle. In fact there was so little muscle over the ribs I would of had to scrape it off. She had LOTS of down. So... don't try to butcher that early.

2. My geese are NOT AT ALL good guard dogs. These are American Buff. They will square up when the dog comes close. But mostly with humans they run away screaming.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
2 things to note

1. An eagle killed one of my geese. Female, about 6 weeks old. She was already at full size, or at least very close... but there was almost zero breast muscle. In fact there was so little muscle over the ribs I would of had to scrape it off. She had LOTS of down. So... don't try to butcher that early.

2. My geese are NOT AT ALL good guard dogs. These are American Buff. They will square up when the dog comes close. But mostly with humans they run away screaming.

My rooster that would run up to people and ask for treats passed a few months ago. He was a decent deterrent.

The pair of eagles that are resident here eat ducks they catch on the pond. They've never even slowed down over chickens. I know eagles get preferred foods

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My rooster that would run up to people and ask for treats passed a few months ago. He was a decent deterrent.

The pair of eagles that are resident here eat ducks they catch on the pond. They've never even slowed down over chickens. I know eagles get preferred foods
Mind blown.... your eagles don't like eating chicken????

Actually... I would think a nasty flogging rooster would be the best deterrent.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Mind blown.... your eagles don't like eating chicken????

Actually... I would think a nasty flogging rooster would be the best deterrent.

Except my roosters I keep are people friendly. Not hawk friendly. And I've had a few die trying to take out the neighbors dog.

We have a red tailed hawk problem sometimes. I feed the ravens eggs to pay for protection. Even the ravens ignore that eagle pair. I know people who live up near Seattle that have eagles that absolutely go after their chickens.

I like watching them do their circles to duck hunt.

duck_hunt_by_seerisil_darn4lw-414w-2x.jpg

Alaskan

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
So... I was looking at the livestock conservancy site about geese breeds

Of all the geese breeds they list, they only note 3 as good for "watch dogs".

Chinese
Pomeranian
Roman

Interesting.

Also, for "purpose" the Roman is listed as "meat, guarding." It is the only one with guarding as it's purpose!!!!

So... who has had Roman geese? Do they guard better than the other breeds??