VickiLynn - Finding The Balance

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
dragonlaurel said:
:frow Welcome!

" My biggest challenge is my change-resistant 8 year old son. The other day, he came home from school with an English paper he had written, which he titled, High Fructose Corn Syrup is Our Friend. I try to come up with good alternatives to processed foods for him, but he is not always on-board. He hasnt really trusted me since the time I tried to sneak pureed spinach into his brownies. I have to work on finding that balance between Healthy and Over-The-Edge.

You slipped in the wrong surprise ingredient. There's a recipe around here for Black Bean Chocolate Cake that gets raves.
I found the Black Bean Cake recipe. I think I'll give it a try. Funny, a year ago, I wouldn't have considered it.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:drool It is very good. Just keep an eye on it the last few minutes. The first two I made were a bit over cooked.

gina

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
:ya I HAVE ASPARAGUS :ya

I planted the bed, and left it alone the first year. I left it alone the second year (OK, I did snitch a couple of stalks), and now its the third year and I can have a light cutting. I checked the bed today, and there were some shoots, just waiting for me. Its home-grown asparagus for dinner tonight! A great exercise in patience!

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
CHICKENS

We finally moved the girls out to their chicken tractor today. I don't know that it'll actually be used as a tractor, since DH built the thing so heavy we can hardly move it. If I ever figure out how to attach pictures, I'll put it on here. The gals are having a good time exploring their new digs.

They are hilarious to watch! When I drop a bug in the midst of them, they will all dive for it, then the one who gets it takes off running, with some of the others trying to head her off, and the rest chase after and try to tackle her. When one gets the bug away, she runs with it. Its more fun than watching the Green Bay Packers!:clap

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Don't worry, your son will come around. Give him a year. My oldest is nine and it took him about that long. He still wants all the pretty yogurts though. Of course if I mention that I'm thinking of buying bread this week because I'm just sooo busy, he threatens to run away! :D And then proceeds to put the ingredients in the breadmaker himself! (I just do the dough in there and bake it in the oven -easy peasy). Oh, and he doesn't like store--bought chocolate syrup as much anymore, though he'll still eat it. My seven-year old is much more finicky now though. He even wants his stuff whole-grain! So, they do come around, you just have to give them time and keep talking about it. Oh, and I have them watch the Biggest Loser with me so that they can see what an unhealthy lifestyle could lead to. They don't fully grasp what all the health-food stuff is, which I like, because I don't agree with it all (bacon = good), but they do understand that they need to eat healthy, and excercise to lead successful lives. BTW, the "play" Biggest Loser now, my nine-year-old son wants to be Jillian, because Bob is to girly. :rolleyes:

ETA: Forgot to say :welcome and Don't you just love having the chicks?

Javamama

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
:lol: We made the way too heavy to move chicken tractor mistake too. It's now a really large rabbit cage for my itty bitty 2 pound dwarf rabbit :p

Kids do come around. Then they go back, then they come around again. ;)

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Javamama said:
:lol: We made the way too heavy to move chicken tractor mistake too. It's now a really large rabbit cage for my itty bitty 2 pound dwarf rabbit :p

Kids do come around. Then they go back, then they come around again. ;)
DH will be happy to hear he's not the only one who tends to over-build. I guess we'll just use it like a regular coop, but keep the wheels attached so the assessor doesn't get the idea it's a permanent (taxable) building.;)

VickiLynn

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Jamsoundsgood (Mmmm, yes it does sound good),

Why don't you bake the whole wheat bread in your breadmaker?