What did you do in your orchard today?

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
That's a beautiful one!! Yum.
It's good sized also there are many more on the tree. FB and I will split it and determine if it's a keeper or if I'll graft over it come this spring. I'm teaching myself how to grow fruit. There are going to be some failures for sure, but I'll eventually get the hang of it. BTW... Cattle are easier to raise by far, atleast for now they are :rolleyes:

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
First granny smith apples from this tree. They are nice sized, since the tree didn't over set.
Screenshot_20240721_134010_Gallery.jpg

Finnie

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I harvested peaches this evening. They aren’t ripe yet, but the bugs and birds were ruining so many, that I figured I better get what I could before they were all gone. I found a ton of bare peach pits on the ground under the tree, along with a lot of half eaten peaches that had fallen.

I have about 3/4 of a Tidy Cat pail full. I picked everything I could reach by standing on a chair. I will have to go back with my long handle fruit picker and try to get what’s left way up high.

EC4F75C2-B5F6-4901-BFB7-F55BBD139695.jpeg

(I also picked some apples too.)

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I harvested peaches this evening. They aren’t ripe yet, but the bugs are birds were ruining so many, that I figured I better get what I could before they were all gone. I found a ton of bare peach pits on the ground under the tree, along with a lot of half eaten peaches that had fallen.

I have about 3/4 of a Tidy Cat pail full. I picked everything I could reach by standing on a chair. I will have to go back with my long handle fruit picker and try to get what’s left way up high.
You can plant those pits come fall, about 4 inches deep, maybe several in some flower pots and leave outside. Winter weather mositure, freezing and thowing will take care of stratification for you and some but not all will sprout next spring.

I let them grow the first year and if they are disease free I will use them as rootstock to bench graft peach and apricot plum scions (yes apricot and plums also) In the early spring just after they break dormancy. If they develop disease(s) I just toss them, it just ain't worth the trouble.

Or- you could plant the first year disease free sapling after it goes dormant in the fall. After several seasons see and taste what kind of peaches the tree may produce. If the peaches aren't good, you can always top work (graft in place) a known good variety to the tree. But If peaches are good then you got a winner on its own roots. You may never know what variety it is but a good peach is a good peach👍

Some peach pits will grow very close to being true to the fruit that produced the pit, others not so much at all.

Here's mine so far to plant in pots this fall.
Screenshot_20240721_220625_Gallery.jpg

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I harvested peaches this evening. They aren’t ripe yet, but the bugs and birds were ruining so many, that I figured I better get what I could before they were all gone. I found a ton of bare peach pits on the ground under the tree, along with a lot of half eaten peaches that had fallen.

View attachment 26789
(I also picked some apples too.)
😋

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
You can plant those pits come fall, about 4 inches deep, maybe several in some flower pots and leave outside. Winter weather mositure, freezing and thawing will take care of stratification for you and some but not all will sprout next spring.
I toss mine in my scraps bowl that I bury in the garden, I currently have two peach trees growing. Some come up the next spring and some come up the following year.

I had four coming up but lost two due to indiscriminate weed hoeing.

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I planted yellow chokecherry seeds. The other tree has already been bearing yellow chokecherries for several years.

This is the first year this tree has blossomed and only now is the fruit ripe enough for me to see that it is bearing yellow chokecherries.
20240723_171429.jpg
20240723_171359.jpg

The nice thing about yellow chokecherries is that the birds will let them get ripe enough for me to pick.