What did you do in your orchard today?

R2elk

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
FB said its time for a jam fest. So that's what she did.

Fresh picked and washed plums
screenshot_20240804_000724_gallery-jpg.26864

Plums cooking in crockpot
screenshot_20240804_000752_gallery-jpg.26865

Waterbathed sealed in jelly jars.
screenshot_20240804_000416_gallery-jpg.26867

Looking forward to butter biscuits with plum jam over the cold winter months 😋

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️
Try making peach and plum jam.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Last year I planned and grafted a antique apple row and set them out early this spring. The focus was on cider but I also considered eating, baking apples also. I had planned on a row of 15 trees. All but 2 survived and are growing well. I forgot I gave 2 away, so I have 11 in the row. I'll have to graft some more this spring to fill out the heirloom row.

As long as I'm grafting apples in the spring. I decided to graft another row of apples but it will be modern apples with focus on disease resistantance. The Purdue, Rutgers, Illinois University (PRI) breeding program was my starting point. I also read a lot of various studies and finally decided on the number and varieties. I really enjoyed my studying so it didn't seem like a burden to me. Here is the semi final variety list I'll graft. Although my studying is winding down I may change the number on a few varieties based on pollinating partners and flowering time grouping. I'm looking closely at Willam's Pride and Novamac.

2 Pristine
2 Enterprise
2 GoldRush
2 Crimson Crisp
2 Liberty
2 Freedom
2 Arkansas Black
1 Novamac

Some of these might sound familiar because you may have seen them in grocery stores.

Others for antique row consideration
Milden
Blue Pearmain
Wolf River
Saint Edmund's Russet
Black Oxford

Source for above scionwood and rootstocks

My conclusion for someone who would like to grow two organic apple trees:

Modern Varieties
I would try Novamac and Enterprise as pollinating partners. Novamac is a modern disease resistant Macintosh type apple and very resistant to scab, firelight, rusts and mildew. Enterprise is also a modern disease resistant apple and very resistant to scab, resistant to firelight, rusts and mildew.

Antique Varieties
ll'l update after I complete my studies.

Last edited:

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Picked and eat the VLP (Very Last Plum). So tree ripe I pulled it apart instead of using a knife. It tasted like j e l l o 😋 But it's VLP for the season 😞 but then again... it's tasty memory will serve as motivation for next season.
Screenshot_20240808_152945_Gallery.jpg

Our orchard will never look like this without a 8 foot tall fence around it to keep critters out. I have no plans to build such a fence. But if I did I could pack the trees into rows and wire train like is shown. To me... whoever's apple orchard this is, it's a thing of beauty and production to feed enmass.
Screenshot_20240808_153822_Gallery.jpg