What did you do to save $ today?

Bimpnottin

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Doesn't sound like much, but I managed to make 3 appts on Weds instead of just 1, so the girls can go to the neighbor's house, instead of the sitter's and I'll only have to use the gas once to get there instead of 3 times and pay the sitter. Wait, really that saved me about $80. :woot

rhoda_bruce

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
My sister is into coupons. Well today my chickens paid for a grocery bill for me.
1 bag of Iams adult dog food 20 Lbs for 5.00
4 packs of cheese 8 oz each for 1.00 ea
22 packs of 16 oz hotdogs .65 ea
8 pks bologna 1.50 ea
Sunny Delight 1.30 ea X 2
Hormel Chili 15 oz cans X 21
Total was 58.90

Leta

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I need to start selling things. If it's just enough to pay for my supplies for what we use, that's perfect.

I make sunblock, waterproof sunblock, and waterproof sunblock + bug repellent that everyone just adores/requests. When I called about selling it at the farmer's market, the lady told me she wouldn't sell me a booth because it wasn't a unique product. But there is not a vendor there who sells sunblock. Made me SMH. I need to try another method.

garden pixy

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Made a deal with a local farm stand, they will buy all my surplus eggs at $2 a dozen. Yay!

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Leta said:
I need to start selling things. If it's just enough to pay for my supplies for what we use, that's perfect.

I make sunblock, waterproof sunblock, and waterproof sunblock + bug repellent that everyone just adores/requests. When I called about selling it at the farmer's market, the lady told me she wouldn't sell me a booth because it wasn't a unique product. But there is not a vendor there who sells sunblock. Made me SMH. I need to try another method.
Try selling online! Craft fairs too, we have a lot of them around here. Make a post here in the Buy/Sell/Trade section with ingredients, price and sizing. Heck, I'd be interested, depending on ingredients and pricing!
Start with smaller craft fairs til you get the hang of it. Add a business card to every bag. Word of mouth is your best marketing. The smaller ones will usually be $10-$20 per table, which sure beats the larger ones charging closer to $200 per table!

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
OK, I've been meaning to post this for awhile, but keep forgetting, so some of this is a bit old.

This happened in the beginning of the month. I had gone to Water Fest at the park. It's part craft fair, part time to enjoy the park, part educational. There was a guy selling tomato plants-for $1.00 each! There was just no way I was going to buy a 6 pack. Near the end of the day, I went to look at the plants. There was another couple curious about gardening, and I gave them a bunch of info. Then told the guy that I wanted to buy a couple of plants. (He had Amish paste for sale!) I told him that I wanted to compare them to Romas. He told me to wait a sec, and brought out another type of tomato. San something or another. He said, these are what you want to compare. So, I was going to buy 1 of each type. Instead, I ended up w/6 Amish paste, and 5 of the other-for $2.00!

I took them to my truck, and was all set to leave when I realized I had left my honey on the table. As I was heading back to get it, a guy that was packing up to leave dropped a couple of bluebird houses. His hands were full, so I went over and picked them up and carried them to his truck for him. He gave me one!

I've been wanting one of these http://www.harborfreight.com/5-in-1-portable-power-pack-96157.html for some time now. But, I didn't want to spend the money. I kept waiting for them to go on sale, and hoped that I'd be able to get one for around $75.00. But, it seemed like they never went on sale. Then, hubby and I were in Harbor Freight. They had them for $90.00, and we had a 20% off coupon. I wanted to get it, but hubby wanted to wait. We were getting ready to check out when I noticed they had one for $50.00! It was an open box, and nothing was wrong w/it. So, I got it!

I was in the supermarket the other day. We were having a cook out at the tack shed. And, I didn't have the makings for S'mores! So, I HAD to go to the store. I wasn't sure if I was going to buy them in there or in another store. It all depended on the price of the chocolate. Well, the chocolate was cheaper there than in the other store, plus they had a coupon for $1.00 off if you bought everything. Only problem being, the coupons were up so high there was just no way anyone other than a basketball player was going to get them! I found someone who worked there, and told her the problem. She came and looked, and couldn't believe where they had put them. She went and got a guy, he didn't know what to do about it either. I realized that there was some wood up about 2.5 feet, and it was sturdy. And, even though I was the oldest, I told them if they grabbed my belt loop, I'd climb up and get them. So, I did. I was able to reach 2 of the 3 packs of coupons. Then, just joking I asked if I got paid. They gave me an extra $1.00 off. So, w/the stuff being on sale, and then w/the $2.00 off, I got everything for $5.34!

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
wannabefree: I see you make a lot of laundry soap...what receipe? will try it...G Thanks

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
Those are awesome stories Deb!

We're 1 step closer to cancelling cable TV at home. Maybe internet also. We can use internet at work. Is it really worth $100/month for 2 hours of internet a day? My fiance is worried about watching football this fall. :rolleyes: :p

I'm driving my neighbor to the DMV. I need my new license and renewal tags. She is visually impaired and needs new state ID. We'll stop at the bank. (It is a PITA to live 15 miles from the bank!) She'll probably give me some gas money. It will be good. Maybe only save $5, but worth it.

Kingsfarm

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Leta: Please may I have the receipe for sun block and those things? where do I find them if you cannot give them to me? Thank you......G