What nurseries do you order your garden seeds from?

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
oops, almost forgot.

As for garlic, I usually plant mine from store bought cloves with little or no problem and is usually cheaper than seed suppliers. You can get good quality and locally grown if you can find it

I've not tried Guerney's so :hu about their stuff.

You can also try your local Craigslist or similar for good deals and this way you can usually go to them directly and see for yourself.

Aidenbaby

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I did the same as OF. I just planted cloves that had sprouted.

I have tried gurney's and they're ok. What I'm going to try to get away from is having to buy the seeds in the first place. I'll probably join the heirloom crowd heading to Baker Creek next year.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I order mine from Seed Savers Exchange, because I like them and have had really good success with them. This year I'm also going to try Terretorial, because they have their test garden in the Oregon, and I figure if they can grow it there, then I would have a better shot at growing it here. ;)

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Jamsoundsgood & anyone else reading this---just a note here about my experience with Territorial seeds.

I had ordered a ton of seed (total of approx $65) from them one year with the same idea of similar climate and to save all my seed, but had only about 50% or less germination.
Now with that being said, it may have been due to my own failures/error, but I won't order from them again especially since I found out they buy SOME of their seed from Seminis (Monsanto owned?). I don't know for sure but I have since heard they were going to stop buying from them.
On the good side, I received my complete order in a reasonably good time.

hwillm1977

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think Territorial will send you a list of seeds supplied by Monsanto associated companies if you ask for it so you can avoid buying those.

I bought almost all my seeds this year either at the dollar store (3 packs/$1) or on Ebay (where I got 57 packs of seeds, about half heirloom for $10, shipping included...from a seed saver in the states, they aren't name brand). I filled in any holes that I had with seeds from the garden centers.

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Territorial actually lists in their catalog which seeds come from their farm and which ones they "supplement" from outside sources. I only order from the ones they grow out themselves. I could be reading it wrong though. I do know that not all their seeds are heirloom. Most are actually hybrids, so if heirlooms are important to you I would actually stay away from them. I had great success with SSE last year with everything except my squashes and melons, which is why I'm going to try Territorial this year on some things.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I just bought from Burgess or DirectGardening (all the same place with different names). I have read a lot of bad stuff about them but I have never had a problem with their seeds or plants. I ordered 3 seeded grapes-concord, catawaba sp?, and another for $7.50 for all three as a collection and all are growing now. You just have to remember the price foreverything being so cheap is that it is very small young plants. The only problem I had this year was that the seed potaoes were crushed in the mail, but i am sending them back to be replaced.

Augustmomx2

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I decided to "try" to start all my plants from seed this year and ordered from Sand Hill Preservation. http://www.sandhillpreservation.com/

So far so good, the only thing that has not germinated were the Poblano Peppers...but you get a lot of seed for your money and they threw in an extra packet of tomato seeds for me :clap They were very quick and efficient :D

grannyB

Enjoys Recycling
Reaction score
Scott,
Gurney's is not the same company your grandparents bought from. They used to be in Yankton and was owned by the Gurney family. It was a great nursery. They sold out to a company in IL that puts out about 20 different catalogs. I ordered from them last year and was very disappointed.

This year I ordered heirloom seeds from heirloomseeds.com. They are a small family owned company, are very busy and slow at shipping, but I ordered early enough to get mine on time. The seeds I started are germinating now. Also bought seeds at the Sioux Falls garden show at 5/$1. I have lettuce and radishes coming up in my cold frame.