Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Since I live out from town, I keep a good stock of things because if I run out, it’s a pain to drive 25 miles for one item, then 25 miles back. So these emergencies of panic buying can just pass me by.

The government response to the people in west North Carolina is a failure. FEMA is out of money, it has been plundered to give illegal aliens free everything. I will stop there so I don’t go on a rant.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I keep about the same amount of food stored as Mom and Grandma did when I was growing up. Or great Aunt for that matter. Never know when a wind or ice storm will come through and cause problems for a few weeks there.

Mom was looking at the Emergency Food Supply they sell at Costco. Last time she was looking it was some random thing she saw on Facebook. I've broke her of clicking the links there, though. My brother appreciates that.

I had to explain that the freeze dried stuff was mostly low quality and not very good because the companies are going for cheapest. Only a couple brands are decent and they are all aimed at hikers. The Emergency Survival stuff isn't enough calories per meal and a large part of their calorie count is sugar drink mixes. Mom also has a wheat allergy and pastas are most common meal type.

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Got one chore done today, other than buying chicken food and loading the feeders.

Silkie pens are all tarped. Now I don't have to worry about the rain. Silkies seek out rain or drips to stand in and soak down their crests so they can see better. It's very annoying and bad for them in the cold. Light comes through so they can see just fine.

Checked the roof tarps. Those are the 12x16 ones you can get from Costco. I just overlap for the length. They actually look pretty good still so I won't change yet. I have the new ones, but if these will last a 3rd year, all the better.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So at menards today with FB and tank. We happened to walk by the dog toy isle and tank wanted all of them. I said to FB he's a lot like a child isn’t he? She laughed 😅 Well at the end of the isle, we came to what must have been heaven to tank. It was a big bin filled with all kinds of dog toys, $1.99. Tank saw the bin got all excited, I was talking with FB and before I knew it, he jumped up in the bin :rolleyes:. I told him tank down, he quickly rummaged around, then he jumped out the bin with what FB calls "buzzy bee". I had him on his 6 foot leash. In hindsight had I had him on his 4 foot leash, it would have been better.

A couple people were watching, laughing and making comments at his antics, after they petted him. He carried buzzy bee up to the checkout, soft mouthed, doing his happy tennessee trot, which is comical to watch by it'self. At the checkout, FB said tank you gotta put buzzy bee on the belt. He just looked at her confused. I patted the conveyer belt and said tank up, he jumped up on the belt. I said tank drop it and he dropped buzzy bee on the conveyer. Then I said tank down and he jumped down. He jumps up on hay rounds taller than a checkout conveyer belt, so this was easy for him. Yet so was jumping into the bin of heaven apparently :rolleyes: The cashier girl fell in love with tank. She even asked me if she could pull off the tag off buzzy bee for him and gave it to him. After she scanned it and got ear licks. I warned her that he likes to lick, but she wanted to hug him anyways, IDK...

He ❤️ his $1.99 buzzy bee. But, real bees? Yeah, he's not a fan.
Screenshot_20241005_224031_Gallery.jpg

P.S. you know... they put the expensive dog toys on lower racks for a reason, don't you?

Prayers and support to all the families affected by hurricane helene.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Last edited:

Country homesteader

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Hey there Y'All!!
I know I disappeared for quite some time been busy with work (I work as a dishwasher/prep cook/runner at the local diner 2-3 days/week), the house & dogs and getting ready for Halloween.
Not quite sure yet but I and H (H=hubby) might acquire DUCKS (a pair male & female). I've never dealt with ducks so I don't have a clue as to what I need to do PLEASE HELP. Our friends up the street are going to be moving to Florida and they aren't taking them with them and they are selling most of their house hold items for CHEAP. I did tell H that if we do get the ducks a small house will have to built for them to get out of the weather later on this year.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So at menards today with FB and tank. We happened to walk by the dog toy isle and tank wanted all of them. I said to FB he's a lot like a child isn’t he? She laughed 😅 Well at the end of the isle, we came to what must have been heaven to tank. It was a big bin filled with all kinds of dog toys, $1.99. Tank saw the bin got all excited, I was talking with FB and before I knew it, he jumped up in the bin :rolleyes:. I told him tank down, he quickly rummaged around, then he jumped out the bin with what FB calls "buzzy bee". I had him on his 6 foot leash. In hindsight had I had him on his 4 foot leash, it would have been better.

A couple people were watching, laughing and making comments at his antics, after they petted him. He carried buzzy bee up to the checkout, soft mouthed, doing his happy tennessee trot, which is comical to watch by it'self. At the checkout, FB said tank you gotta put buzzy bee on the belt. He just looked at her confused. I patted the conveyer belt and said tank up, he jumped up on the belt. I said tank drop it and he dropped buzzy bee on the conveyer. Then I said tank down and he jumped down. He jumps up on hay rounds taller than a checkout conveyer belt, so this was easy for him. Yet so was jumping into the bin of heaven apparently :rolleyes: The cashier girl fell in love with tank. She even asked me if she could pull off the tag off buzzy bee for him and gave it to him. After she scanned it and got ear licks. I warned her that he likes to lick, but she wanted to hug him anyways, IDK...

He ❤️ his $1.99 buzzy bee. But, real bees? Yeah, he's not a fan.
View attachment 27237

P.S. you know... they put the expensive dog toys on lower racks for a reason, don't you?

Tank is awesome. I knew he would make you a best buddy and you would fall in love with him. Labradors are the most wonderful dogs.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Home on day 2 of 12. 😁 Mowed yard yesterday, DS did a lot of weed eating...along fences at front yard & such. Today I'll do some clean up of grass piles, add the grass catcher to mower & run thru "barn yard" and such.....along fences in back yard. Plan to dump in garden area & burn in a few days. Got to some inside things here & there during break from yard. Lots more planned for later in week. That list is soooo long! :eek: :idunno

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tank is awesome. I knew he would make you a best buddy and you would fall in love with him. Labradors are the most wonderful dogs.
Ain't that the truth.

I forgot which store I was in, but there was a veteran that wanted to pet him. He told me that he's a "golden labrador". About 50/50 golden retiever and yellow labrador, IDK...

Hinotori

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hey there Y'All!!
I know I disappeared for quite some time been busy with work (I work as a dishwasher/prep cook/runner at the local diner 2-3 days/week), the house & dogs and getting ready for Halloween.
Not quite sure yet but I and H (H=hubby) might acquire DUCKS (a pair male & female). I've never dealt with ducks so I don't have a clue as to what I need to do PLEASE HELP. Our friends up the street are going to be moving to Florida and they aren't taking them with them and they are selling most of their house hold items for CHEAP. I did tell H that if we do get the ducks a small house will have to built for them to get out of the weather later on this year.

I don't have ducks, sorry.

Yes they do need a house, though