Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For some reason I started thinking about the good ole days of non-battery operated power tools. Yep we most definitely got it easier nowadays
Ya know -- now is a good time to consider how to live like many did 50 yrs ago! When you read the devastation from these natural disasters, it's pretty obvious we need to "know how". There are communities that have housing but are totally cut from electric, Internet -- roads totally gone. Just sitting there needing to survive, maybe for months!

Our modern conveniences are great. I don't want to lose any but, could I do well without them? I could. Where I live, it would be a long shot to be more than a week without power BUT --- those thoughts of survival come to surface when I read of these disasters. My DD laughs at me but, my planning & supplies keep me mentally prepared. Things I don't use often are here, in case. 😊. Yeah, she'd be knocking on my door -- I'd have her covered

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
FEMA has their act together. They delivered hundreds of battery operated chain saws to western North Carolina—to an area with no power.

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I’m on second cup of coffee. Got company coming this afternoon for the weekend. I’m looking forward to it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They delivered hundreds of battery operated chain saws to western North Carolina—to an area with no power.
Thank goodness there have been solar power companies who have donated solar powered generators which they could use to charge the batteries...:)

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thank goodness there have been solar power companies who have donated solar powered generators which they could use to charge the batteries...:)

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
At least someone has some sense.

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Ya know -- now is a good time to consider how to live like many did 50 yrs ago!...

my main concern for being without power for long is a reliable water supply. if we have enough warning that a storm is heading our way we can fill up some extra buckets for flushing toilets and i do have drinking water stashed away in the closet and that too can also be used to flush the toilets once in a while. the larger concern is if the power outage comes at a time when i'm planting the gardens and i need to keep even moisture on the seeds that have been planted or we are getting a drought.

it would be a tough job to do to manually water by hauling water from the ditch or putting in a hand pump, but a solar water pump and a tank up high would work, it would just have to be set up. Mom won't ever want to do anything like that so i've not even considered doing research on it, but if/when this place becomes my own i can then do whatever i want for dealing with such matters...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
The yr old garlic cloves are sprouting! 👍 Need to set up 3 containers to plant the cloves from 6 bulbs. Plus, those in the mail :hide Well, I should have plenty next year! 🤣 I love it anyway.

Lower temps + a steady north breeze had me grabbing a jacket after just a few min outside. 😬Not ready to do cold!!