Coffee's Ready, Come and Sit on the Porch

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I cut mine in half & dehydrate. They are slightly like chewing a gummy bear 😁. I put nothing on mine, just a little heat. They will dry in direct sun but, you must protect them from bees, flies, etc. so I just dehydrate!
I got a lot to learn but need figs first.

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

The Porch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
4am up, fires going and Coffees done. I bought 2 bags the starbuck winter organic blend at Costco last week , not very good. It has a bitter taste. I typically buy 2 because I like to have back up on the shelf. I am going to return the one unopened bag, I dont think they will take a ziplock filled with coffee beans.

I got laundry done and hauled up some of the down for several years dry cedar from the tree stack. I had to cut rounds and DH came out and cut some. I'll burn the not quite pithy wood to take the chill off. There is a lot of it. 3 decks at the standing tree line. I have been chipping away at the pile on the far left in the pic. It has some very big diameter trees.
I have got to get out and clean up the garden. That green patch you see, is a self-reseed arugula and its thick, the thyme is getting out of control and the weeds are creeping in. I need to cut the border line so the grass stays out and plow. But not today:tongue
IMG_5803.jpeg

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tree/wood cutting, splitting, etc -- now that's work! BTDT. You go, gal! 👍

Maybe mix the bag your using with a bag of coffee you like to mellow it and use it up. I drink mine straight from pot, so no enhancements to change flavor....I can relate to a bad taste.

Nice of the arugula to regrow. That's extra greens for the chickens, too 😃 they'll love ya for the treats.

A cold 36 out this morning. 🥶 That's actually our winter temps for most of that season. I'm not liking it this early either. Just a fluke week. We're warming back to normal this coming week. I hate cold.

CrealCritter

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My little fig tree I planted in spring 2022 got figs on in August.
Mine are just little babies at this point (rooted cuttings). 3 differnt dwarfs varieties that I'll keep in pots and 5 differnt fullsized varieties that will be planted in the ground. All 8 are cold hardy to zone 6a, I'm in zone 7a so they should grow well. They will need to be pruned back to about 16" for dormancy and I'll have to provide over winter protection.

The good thing about figs, is they set figs on the current growing season wood, one fig per leaf. Pruning back for dormancy shouldn't be much of an issue.

Figs have been around since the beginning and must have been huge to sew leafs together. I have them inside to protect them from our three nights of frost. I think they can go back out now to bask in the greater light to rule the day and grow a little more.
Screenshot_20241018_104120_Gallery.jpg

Jesus is Lord and Christ ✝️

Last edited: