FarmerJamie - A new beginning

baymule

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Keys have been secured. The wife went with and it wiped her out.

Unfortunately the prep and move is going to be on me. Started my detailed to do list needed prior to moving.

Locked the movers in for 11/21.
I’m so happy for y’all that you now have the keys. I’m so sad for your wife that she is so weak. The move will be difficult to do by yourself, but look at all that you have got done already in preparation for moving.

You are still a little wiped out from Covid, if y’all are going to paint walls before moving in, hire painters, it’s too much for you to do alone.

Mover on 11-21, that’s close. I have some advice. I moved after selling my farm, in a big hurry. From the day they set foot on the farm and we closed, was 63 days. I had to rehab my sons house, even hired a guy for 2 weeks and we worked together. I moved a complete farm, even put up fence and pens for sheep and dogs. I have some wonderful friends who did a lot to help me and I’m so grateful for them. The buyers even helped me make a load of large items that I couldn’t do by myself. It was grueling.

Before my last load, tractor and implements, I was sick. I drove that last load the 3 hours to my sons house, parked it and collapsed with Covid Round 2.

So I’m going to advise once y’all get moved in, don’t worry about unpacking and putting everything up right away, it will only add stress to an already stressful situation. Place your order for a Thanksgiving meal now at one of the grocery stores or restaurants that offer that. Then all you have to do is go pick it up. Celebrate the stacks of boxes, laugh and have a very thankful Thanksgiving.

Rest Thanksgiving weekend. Those boxes can wait. Both of you take your vitamins, double up on vitamin C and take a B complex. Watch movies on TV, but please rest. Your wife will still be weak and it will be good for her.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@baymule
I think my approach is somewhat aligned with your advice.
I did convince her to store most of the totes in the garage for now. We have two "basements", I want the use to be planful. I don't want the totes just dumped in there.

We want to get new furniture for the family room. That's also a project for later. Going to leave the furniture in the formal living room for now.

Room painting, only my office and the kitchen for now. Too much stuff to move to paint after the fact.

Kitchen stuff is going to be an argument. I want minimal stuff. We have multiple cupboards packed full of stuff we don't use with multiple sets of the same stuff. Who needs 3 sets of mixing bowls? Or 3 sets of casserole dishes. Again, my plan is to keep stuff in the garage. 6 months and GONE! LOL

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I bought my house when I was still in the walking boot from the ankle replacement. I spent another 6 months, moving one small p.u. load everytime I went to the house. Painted all the rooms except the DR as it was in beautiful shape; did some things before I moved in it; floors were refinished before I moved in, lots of small stuff.... and now that I have been here, there is alot that still needs doing. It is hard, as although I do not work a "fulltime job"... I was still testing cows and our farm work which makes for long days many times. Then I got the knees replaced and so was set back a whole bunch with poor rehab. Finally feeling like a person, except for wanting to get this excess weight off....

Then there are the promises of help and people that do not show up to look at jobs and such like that.

Moving a load every time you go is a pain but makes it not so overwhelming. I had to hire someone to help me move the big stuff... Son did a little but was too tied up with the GF too much of the time..... another subject.

With your wife's frailer health, I agree with putting duplicate things in the "storage," and when not missed in 6 months, find a yard sale or consignment shop to realize a little return on your time moving it all. Maybe try to figure out what is her preferred stuff, and then quietly find other homes for the duplicates. Put anything you are questioning all in the one room.... and then be able to go through them when you are not pushed to get out of the rental.

Timing for the landlords wanting more rent is actually good for them....and you... You will be putting money into a mortgage which will give you back in equity... the landlord's will be starting out with a new tenant at the rent they want. That is their problem now... I was in my place for nearly 10 years, he wasn't too happy, but I kept the rental longer because of slowly moving and getting my ankle back into working shape and the house more liveable. He had plenty of time to get used to it.
I am assuming that you plan to be out completely by the end of Nov with the major moving on 11/21.... if your energy allows, take one load everytime you can manage to go to the house.... but don't exhaust yourself right now, get a little more rest and energy as you get better for the next few days, do a little, but build up a little more strength... and be more able to do as you feel better.
If you could get someone to paint right now, it might be worth it. Move a load or 2 instead of painting... but it might be hard to get someone on such short notice. Then as you move stuff, it can go in where it is supposed to be and unpacked as it works into your schedule.
The best of luck to you... and hope that your recovery is faster, and that your wife's recovery continues along and she feels more able to help as things go along with not much upset over the kitchen situation.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
@farmerjan. Thank you, too. Everyone, I appreciate the advice. My personal problem is I am a project manager by trade. Scope definition risk management, scheduling, budget. it's what I do. Not driving harder when we were ahead of schedule is killing us now.

Not trying to manage the wife like a project resource. Having a hard time trying to nail things down. We aren't newlyweds in our late 20s. She didn't get to have the "new" house experience with her ex, where all your ideas get to come to fruition. I did have the experience with my ex, and honestly, it was a lot of wasted money on features and stuff we never used.

I did do a little property stroll yesterday. The land is whispering to me... ❤️

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
20231031_172512.jpg