Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
WZ - are you by any chance listening to GB? He just talked about an economic group coming out with some amazing potential food prices - like a can of coffee going for $70, a quart of milk for $11...but that since no one (well, few people) could afford that, without a corresponding astronomical increase in wages (therefore, hyperinflation), you just won't see those items on the shelves anymore. I think he talked about it on his show yesterday (or maybe last week, I get mixed up with the DVR). :/

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I am a Beck fan, but started prepping a few years ago. Around the last presidential election now that you mention it :gig

Beck is saying things hubby and I instinctively knew. Well I did anyway. Took hubby a while to come around. Now he sees that his wife IS a super genius and he should stop arguing with me...a little...maybe :D

My first major prep was getting ducks. Being able to provide my own meat source seemed like a good idea. Then it was stashing dry goods. Got a good supply of that. Along the way I got quail too. We also picked up a big freezer. Spring prep was saving seeds, trading seeds, buying seeds and turning more and more of the lawn in to garden beds.

I figured anything I could do to reduce my dependency on the grocery store the better.

People who have done nothing to this point are going to be hurting. I may be giving away seeds to needy neighbors next spring. I have extra just in case. I already have given some to some church groups that started food ministries the last growing season.

I may also have to pass on the knowledge of duck raising.

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
I think I will be needing my milk cow sooner rather than later!

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I am a Beck fan, but started prepping a few years ago. Around the last presidential election now that you mention it :gig

Beck is saying things hubby and I instinctively knew. Well I did anyway. Took hubby a while to come around. Now he sees that his wife IS a super genius and he should stop arguing with me...a little...maybe :D

I figured anything I could do to reduce my dependency on the grocery store the better.
I've been prepping on & off for several years myelf, but GB is saying things that make total sense to me (instinctively, as you say). DH is a very laid-back kind of guy, in some respects he thinks I'm nuts, but now that things are getting hairy he respectfully keeps his mouth shut. ;) I'm so fortunate that I work from home so can listen to GB while I work!

Since I'm a vegetarian I don't need to worry about keeping meat animals around, but I do have chickens for eggs, & store LOTS of beans. I've mentioned to DH that "you know, I'm not stockpiling meat, so......." wink, wink; now he's coming home with cans of Spam & Vienna sausages for himself! :lol:

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
We all know from our own experiences that you don't go from never gardening to a large, productive garden, all canned/dehydrated/frozen/fermented in one season! Everyone should at least be growing a tomato plant, a cuke, and a few herbs to learn a thing or two, and learn a few food preservation methods. And learn how to cook with and to LIKE whole foods!

I get a little irritated with friends who say, "We're coming to your house if things get really bad!" I'll teach you, I can't feed you. My family has to come first.

Rant over. :p

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am lucky cause my friends are like me--farmers who are mainly self sufficient--so we group together--I got goat, chicken, beef meats, they got milk, crops, etc...like me....so heck we can eat forever in what my group has.......everyone has guns and hunt, fish etc.

no big time useless people in my life haha

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I've mentioned to DH that "you know, I'm not stockpiling meat, so......." wink, wink; now he's coming home with cans of Spam & Vienna sausages for himself!
Bwaa haa haa! Hey! At least he is paying attention! :D

I told hubby to stock up on coffee. When it gets to be so expensive I have to stop buying it, we will be splitting whatever is stashed exactly in half. If he touches my half i will kill him. He goes through about 4 times as much coffee as me, but never seems to get to the store to buy it. I will show no mercy :D

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
I told hubby to stock up on coffee. When it gets to be so expensive I have to stop buying it, we will be splitting whatever is stashed exactly in half. If he touches my half i will kill him. He goes through about 4 times as much coffee as me, but never seems to get to the store to buy it. I will show no mercy :D
:yuckyuck
I've done the same thing...DH will go thru 2 pots a day by himself; I asked him, "what will you do when TSHTF & there IS no coffee??" So now he comes home with coffee, too...He found some at the Dollar General for $1.75/can...it might be crappy, but at least we can mix it with some higher quality & make it stretch. :p

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
I am lucky cause my friends are like me--farmers who are mainly self sufficient--so we group together--I got goat, chicken, beef meats, they got milk, crops, etc...like me....so heck we can eat forever in what my group has.......everyone has guns and hunt, fish etc.

no big time useless people in my life haha
If the SHTF as people on here visualize, lots of friends are what you'll need. You should have a plan and everybody can gather at the most easily defended house. It will take a few days for the zombies to show up so you can have all your stuff in one defensible place.

Of course if it's just something that is more likely, it's really nice to have friends and neighbors doing the same as you.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
PamsPride said:
I think I will be needing my milk cow sooner rather than later!
Good idea. Without a farm bill in place and the fed picking up the slack, it will be on the consumers shoulders. Might want to chain the cow up, so it doesn't get stolen.