Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
"NIA projects that at the average U.S. grocery store it will soon cost $11.43 for one ear of corn, $23.05 for a 24 oz loaf of wheat bread, $62.21 for a 32 oz package of Domino Granulated Sugar, $24.31 for a 32 fl oz container of soy milk, $77.71 for a 11.30 oz container of Folgers Classic Roast Coffee, $45.71 for a 64 fl oz container of Minute Maid Orange Juice, and $15.50 for a Hershey's Milk Chocolate 1.55 oz candy bar. NIA also projects that by the end of this decade, a plain white men's cotton t-shirt at Wal-Mart will cost $55.57.

The report highlights how despite cotton rising by 54%, corn rising by 29%, soybeans rising by 22%, orange juice rising by 17%, and sugar rising by 51% during the months of September and October alone, these huge commodity price increases have yet to make their way into America's grocery stores because corporations have been reluctant to pass these price increases along to the consumer."

Read more: http://www.thirdage.com/news/nation...-food-price-increases_11-9-2010#ixzz14oxemK6N

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
Ok.. So when will 'soon' get here...? 2011?

Aside from the corn on the cob (which we grow) I don't use any of the items on that list.. Thankfully. Though orange juice is a rare treat that I do oh-so love.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
"NIA projects that at the average U.S. grocery store it will soon cost $11.43 for one ear of corn, $23.05 for a 24 oz loaf of wheat bread, $62.21 for a 32 oz package of Domino Granulated Sugar, $24.31 for a 32 fl oz container of soy milk, $77.71 for a 11.30 oz container of Folgers Classic Roast Coffee, $45.71 for a 64 fl oz container of Minute Maid Orange Juice, and $15.50 for a Hershey's Milk Chocolate 1.55 oz candy bar. NIA also projects that by the end of this decade, a plain white men's cotton t-shirt at Wal-Mart will cost $55.57.

The report highlights how despite cotton rising by 54%, corn rising by 29%, soybeans rising by 22%, orange juice rising by 17%, and sugar rising by 51% during the months of September and October alone, these huge commodity price increases have yet to make their way into America's grocery stores because corporations have been reluctant to pass these price increases along to the consumer."

Read more: http://www.thirdage.com/news/nation...-food-price-increases_11-9-2010#ixzz14oxemK6N
Who is the NIA? Somehow I don't believe the corporations are absorbing all that extra cost. Be afraid be very afraid. Soon must be around 2301. If I believed any of that I wouldn't be able to sleep at night.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
NIA = National Inflation Institute
http://inflation.us/about.html

Don't like their information? How about Gerald Celente?
"This is about REALITY!"
http://www.trendsresearch.com/index.htm

And that is why you prep...so you can sleep at night.

If these predictions are wrong and you prep? No biggie. You have extra supplies in case of a flood, tornado, blizzard, etc... You also have items you can donate to your local food bank to help others or things you can give to family members who hit on hard times.

If these predictions are even half right and you have no food stores, seeds, etc... you are screwed.

How Ben Bernanke screwed the poor...
http://the-classic-liberal.com/ben-bernanke-screwed-poor-america/

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
This summer I paid 50 cents for an ear of corn. With a 29% increase in cost how does that translate to $11 per ear for a price increase?

Please tell me!

I have been subscribing to the NIA reports and I am just fed up with them... I do not believe that that organization has our best interest in heart expecially when they have their pages plastered with buy gold now.... it seems like a fear mongering effort to get people to purchase, just like glenn Beck does... Did you know that Glen Becks favorite gold company made 500 millon profit on selling gold this year? promoted by Becks fear mongering... and the company has also been introuble for giving bad deals to niave and uneducated people...

Now I do believe in purchasing metals and I do think we are in for some difficulty but how in the hell can a company have a 30 percent rise in a commodity and not pass it on to the public. I just do not accept this.

Something is up with this report and I just don't buy it,, meanwhile I see some very good prices at the store as I have posted already. Some things are going up, yes, but many things are holding.

This is what another blog has to say about it.

"This morning, the National Inflation Association was cited in a push for Food Insurance. The National Inflation Association is an organization, headed by Gerard Adams, that profits off fear of inflation. Given that Glenn Beck has gotten into trouble for pushing gold, and the National Inflation Association connection to gold, the statistics of the Association need to be carefully examined."

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I read the article from the NIA. I also did some research on the organization. They're, to me, some whacked out fringe group that is trying to freak out the population (and sell their publications). It appears that they are somewhat successful. They have absolutely no basis for their predictions.

BTW - Glenn does more research on his topics than any other televised reporter.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
"Current global wheat prices, however, are still around 40% lower than the peak reached in March 2008 when average FOB monthly prices exceeded US$439 per tonne."
http://blog.euromonitor.com/2010/11...ces-put-pressure-on-bakery-manufacturers.html

There is a lot to learn and understand on this topic... like everyone else I will get pushed with the tide..

I endeavor to store food and become more self sufficient..
I don't believe everything I read.

but change is coming.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Did you know that Glen Becks favorite gold company made 500 millon profit on selling gold this year? promoted by Becks fear mongering
This shows me you haven't actually listened to his show or his gold commercials. He carefully outlines why he buys gold, and that his way will not make sense for a lot of people, and to do the math.

For the record, I do not own precious metals. You can't eat em so food and animals that make food seemed like a MUCH smarter investment to me.

As for his food insurance commercials, he specifically states that it isn't necessary to buy from companies like Food Insurance. Buy some extra cans of soup is something he says often.

As for the NIA, I only recently heard of them, but they are not the only source for data predicting hyperinflation. Like I said before, if you prep and hyperinflation does not happen WHAT HARM DOES IT DO? None.

If there is hyperinflation and you have no food storage, no animals, no garden...you are SCREWED!

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Boogity said:
I read the article from the NIA. I also did some research on the organization. They're, to me, some whacked out fringe group that is trying to freak out the population (and sell their publications). It appears that they are somewhat successful. They have absolutely no basis for their predictions.

BTW - Glenn does more research on his topics than any other televised reporter.
funny I always felt I had caught Beck in lies and hipocracy.... with him you have to follow the money... as he changes his tune to keep pace with the pide pipper. Research? more like sensationalism.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
much as happened in 1922-23 Germany's Weimar Republic, write Smith and former think tank futurist Lowell Ponte, the printing of tens of trillions of dollars to pay America's debts will destroy the value of personal savings, pensions, fixed mortgages and other fixed-dollar assets.

In Weimar, says Smith, printing more than One Sextillion (a one followed by 21 zeroes) Marks destroyed the economy with hyperinflation; crashed the currency, making it worthless; wrecked Middle Class social values of thrift, prudence, honesty and hard work; and paved Adolf Hitler's highway to power.
Read more: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/g/a/2010/10/26/prwebprweb4700904.DTL#ixzz14pfrn9hE

For the 3rd time...
If you prep and there is no hyperinflation, what harm is done? None.
If you don't prep and there is hyperinflation, you are screwed.