Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Wifey, I hear ya on the tiny print! For years, I only needed my reading glasses in certain lights. Then when I hit 47, my eyesight went downhill. I now need to wear my glasses to read most stuff, and even then, I can't read the really tiny print w/out a magnifying glass! And, my insurance only pays to have my eyes examined every 2 years. It's now been 2 years, so I'll be getting my eyes checked soon. But, since they only cover about half the costs, I'm thinking if I just get new lenses in the glasses I have (which I like), it should save me a bit of money.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
k0xxx said:
The price of TP hasn't gone up here either (yet) and the number of squares has remained the same, but the weight of the pack has decreased. I guess they've found a way to either make it thinner or to otherwise use less paper. :rolleyes:
I guess that's the TP manufacturer equivalent of making the package smaller, like with cereal, etc. :/
I hate it when your finger pokes through it.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Dunkopf said:
i_am2bz said:
k0xxx said:
The price of TP hasn't gone up here either (yet) and the number of squares has remained the same, but the weight of the pack has decreased. I guess they've found a way to either make it thinner or to otherwise use less paper. :rolleyes:
I guess that's the TP manufacturer equivalent of making the package smaller, like with cereal, etc. :/
I hate it when your finger pokes through it.
I one upped those manufacturers, and went with family cloth. :tongue Take that, companies that cheat!

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Like when you have 2 products from different manufacturers side by side, one will have the tiny unit cost as "per pound". The other one shows "per each". Some times you will have "per ounce" "per each" "per 100 ct" and "per lb" all in the same area.

My calculator on the cell phone has gotten quite the workout lately.
Oh MY yes!!! That drives me crazy!!! If you are doing the cost breakdown then make them all the same!

As for the phone I always forget it has a calc... Hubby bought me a fancy phone with a billion gadgets so trying to find the simple calc program is a massive undertaking... LOL So most the time I'm busy scribbling on my shopping list and counting on my fingers trying to break it all down.. Oh if hubby only knew and appreciated the obstacles I go through to save us ten cents! HAHAHA

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Tillamook cheddar cheese,,,,, 4.50 for 2 pounds

WW flour 22.5 cents a pound at Walmart,, a good brand too.

Gamma lid at walmart 4.89

Cambells canned mushroom soup 49 cents a can.... I got 10 - smiths

Gallo wine- burgendy and Pinot 5.39 a 1.5 leter bottle - smiths

Turkey 49 cents a pound, could of done better if I tried but It was late and I was tired of shopping.

Nally canned chili 79 cents a can - Smiths

American Beauty pasta, mixed varieties 1 lb for 49 cents. bought lots of this - Smiths

Stephens hot chocolate mic 2.50 a can at Smiths.

Petite sirloin 2.99 a pound - smiths

Winco lable pepper jack cheese 2.50 a pound,,, I suspect its tillamook in a different package

Turkey breast, unprocessed.. $1.49 a bound.... cheaper than chicken... (and hush! I don't have access to home grown chicken)

Delmonte canned tomatoes, mixed variety 16 oz can 49 cents.

Bettacreek

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Where are the gamma lids at in Walmart? Which section I mean. I haven't seen them, but I haven't really taken a gander either I suppose.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Well as of today, the above statement is incorrect. We purchased our standard bulk pack today, and the price has gone up $2. Yeesh.

Edited to correct FFS (Fat Finger Syndrome)

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
k0xxx said:
The price of TP hasn't gone up here either (yet)...
Well as of today, the above statement is incorrect. We purchased our standard bulk pack today, and the price has gone up $2. Yeesh.
Gone up TWO DOLLARS...?? For how many rolls?? :ep

I was pleased with myself today...a store I never go to had Wisk on sale for $3.99 & I had a $2 off coupon. :D

ohiofarmgirl

Sipping Bacon Martinis
Reaction score
did anyone else's feed go up?

my hubby went to our local feed store and the price for corn went up $2 for a 50 lbs bag!!! and most of it is grown and milled right in our little town!?!!? normally we can count on corn prices being low for this time of year as most folks have just taken in the harvest. but WOW!

i'm figuring the bacon is just about done b/c i'm not paying that to feed them pigz...

its time for dinner....heh heh heh.. here piggie piggie piggie....