Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Walmarts around Idaho and Utah sell Emergency Essentail products.... they have half an isle of it... thats where to look for gamma lids.

murphysranch

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Just got back from the Bay Area today, after being there all week.

We found out a WinCo opened in Tracy, about 1.5 hours away from home. So on the drive home, we detoured to go visit it. OH MY GOSH!!!!!! There are 1000's of things that are way cheaper than even sale items at my local Savemart or the 20 min away Safeway! B

Banana's - 10 cents per lb. (clearly a loss leader)
100% WW Bread - 98 cents per loaf
DH's creamer - $1.98 qt
Lay's Potato chips all variaties - $1.78 for a normal bag size
Acorn Squash - decent size - 68 cents EACH!
Yellow onions - 39 cents lb. I bought 8 lbs to store under the deck
Store made 100% ww bagels - fresh - $3.98 doz. These go in the freezer.
And if we spent 50 bucks, we could buy a turkey for 39 cents lb. I got a 16 lb turkey for a little over 6 bucks.

We spent $99.11 and got no frozen food (except the turkey), only 2 bags of chips, only 2 cookies (chips ahoy) and all the rest was real food, especially from their bulk section. Dried garbanzos, WW pasta, quinona (sp?), etc!

oh wait - DH got some Super Sugar Crisp (or whatever its called now) and some Capt Crunch. A big treat for himself.....he eats really well other times. :lol:

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
I so wish we had a store like that around here!

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Your not kidding Demin Deb...The best we have around these parts is a half assed Walmart 25 miles away...! But...i'm thankful for that..! Prices here are off the wall..!

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
i_am2bz said:
Gone up TWO DOLLARS...?? For how many rolls?? :ep
They bulk pack is 24 rolls. We try to keep 3 to 4 of the packs in storage at any given time, but we had let it get down to just one. Three packs was an extra 6 bucks.

ohiofarmgirl said:
did anyone else's feed go up?
Layer Feed has gone up 2 dollars here within the last month also. From about $8.50 to $10.50 for a 50# bag. We were told that we can expect another increase before winter is done.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
ohiofarmgirl said:
did anyone else's feed go up?
Layer Feed has gone up 2 dollars here within the last month also. From about $8.50 to $10.50 for a 50# bag. We were told that we can expect another increase before winter is done.
Purina Layena is up to $13.89 at TSC here. :/

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Feed has not yet gone up at the Big R, but local farmers are starting to grumble about their orders from the feed mills getting more expensive.

Want to really see an inflation indicator?

"The idea behind the Billion Prices Project is that we can track inflation by collecting prices from hundreds of online retailers around the world on a daily basis. Thus, the BPP currently monitors the daily price fluctuations of ~5 million items sold by ~300 online retailers in more than 70 countries.

Thats a pretty cool way to track real time inflation.

At the WSJ, Justin Lahart quotes Rutgers University economist Michael Bordo, who has reviewed the methodology: It seems to me its a brilliant way of measuring the deep fundamentals of inflation."
Daily-Price-Indexes-%C2%BB-The-Billion-Prices-Project-@-MIT-e1289524755691.png

http://motorcitytimes.com/mct/2010/11/scary-graph-the-billion-prices-project/

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Just paid 16.95 for Flock Raiser. The cheapest scratch is 9.95.

Mackay

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Winco is the best I've seen for my main shopping store but I still shop around on the sales.. Smiths had great sales this week.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
"There might not have been a second round of quantitative easing, if Federal Reserve Chairman Ben Bernanke shopped at Walmart.

A new pricing survey of products sold at the worlds largest retailer showed a 0.6 percent price increase in just the last two months, according to MKM Partners. At that rate, prices would be close to four percent higher a year from now, double the Feds mandate.

The inaugural price survey shows a small, but meaningful increase on an 86-item grocery basket, said Patrick McKeever, MKM Partners analyst, in a note. Most of the items McKeever chose to track were every day items like food and detergent and made by national brands."

http://www.cnbc.com/id/40135092/Secret_Walmart_Survey_Shows_Inflation_Already_Here