Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Denim Deb said:
Are they still using corn to produce gasoline? I know the price of gas around here has been rising. It's gone up by about 20 cents a gallon this month. I try to ride my motorcycle if it's not too cold out.
According to the USDA, about 40% of US corn production goes into making ethanol for fuel.
I think we're going to see the gas tax double in the next year or two. It's one of the recommendations from the bipartisan deficit reduction committee. It won't effect the wealthy so I'm sure it will eventually happen.

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
even without the corn factor, we all know gasoline and heating oils prices are going to rise. When that country with the nuclear dreams in the middle east gets hit and the Persian gulf goes up in flames, then you'll see some real pricy gas...!

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Do you really think that Iran will get hit? I don't think the US will do it, but Israel get's pretty independent sometimes. I sure hope that doesn't happen. I don't know if my car will run on radioactive oil.

Maybe they should make the flex fuel cars run on Uranium just in case.

opiemaster

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Well, I took a job with the county back in June, as I felt it was a safe place try and ride this out. After seeing the way things are run from the INSIDE I realize this wasnt a good idea, I was telling the guys to watch what was happening as this is a tax driven job, they didnt beleive me, know the lay offs are here, layed off 5 people the last month, but I am still here as I am a heavy equipment operator, but BIG buddy system going on. They are laying off guys with families who they promised steady jobs to and then saying they have no money, but they are buying like crazy! A new chevy truck last week!! The "boss" is a retired Colorado road and bridge guy and his brother on law was elected as commisioner here, so he came here and was given a superintendants job here and he brings one of his buddies out one week a month and pays him $1000. a week plus expenses,and says he is a "trainer" and then laying off guys here because thay are "out of money" but yet the buddy system goes on! This is just crazy! I am trying to raise rabbits but noit having much luck, , I cant seem to get them to breed very well. :/

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Ugggggg!! This stuff makes me nuts.

Sorry about the rabbits. Ever consider ducks? Mine breed like crazy and even if you can't hatch ducklings worth a darn, the eggs taste good :D

DuppyDo

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I don't think its a question of if it going happens Dunkopf, more like when...We won't do it, but they've said several times they want to wipe Isreal off the map.

I plan on raising rabbits soon, to complement my egg protein source.Why do you think they aren't producing bunnies Opiemaster..?

Wifezilla,I was thinking Muscovy ducks as well, don't they get pretty messy and smelly..? My neighbors can be a pain, could complain about the odor...

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Any animal can get smelly without proper care. Ducks do make more than their share of messes, but deep litter and occasional sprinklings of DE and/or StallDry work fine for me. If you have close neighbors, scovies are a good idea. Just be prepared to make a covered pen or clip wings.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
man I got into raising rabbits because they are cheap meat... well now stupid TSC is always sold out of the cheap rabbit feed (which has went up 3.50 a bag to 11.50 now) So half the time I can get it but just like last night I had to buy the more expensive purinea stuff... and not only that... They decided to raise it too!!! I had to pay almost 16 bucks for a bag of Rabbit feed! That is double the price I was paying for Rabbit feed just this past spring! They are making it so you can't even raise your own meat on a budget... :rolleyes:

I need to look into seeing if it's possible to dehydrate veggies for them and then just expand the garden next year... I can usually feed them sorta cheep in summer since they get garden leftovers and the kids can pick weeds for them... But winter is killing me!

Blackbird

Goat Whisperer
Reaction score
CR, what are you feeding your rabbits? Alfalfa pellets? If you can find a source of quality alfalfa and grass you might want to look into that.. usually buying by the bale is a LOT cheaper and they are the same thing.