Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
abifae said:
If the govvie was capable of planning ahead enough to stock up, would we even BE in this position? *laughing*
Well, you know the politicians will always find a way to take care of themselves...don't make the mistake of assuming any of that emergency food is for us, the little people! :lol:

chipmunk

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
EXACTLY! 90% of FEMA's resources go to continuity of government. That does not include you and me... :hide

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
" This editorial that just appeared in the Financial Times by World Bank president Robert Zoellick (above left) makes the case that the G20 ought to do more to ensure that people around the world do not suffer from food insecurity. It is actually a perfect example of an elite, fear-based mechanism at work. By creating nation-states, encouraging ethnic rivalries and generally stirring the pot, the Anglosphere has ensured a level of simmering chaos that makes it difficult if not impossible for certain societies to feed themselves on a regular basis. Africa's nation-states obviously come to mind.

Having helped trigger the food-crisis, the Anglosphere is now beginning to make fixing it a priority. But as with so many other endeavors (when it comes to the Anglo-American axis), one has to approach the concept of "fixing" with some trepidation. The axis deals in dominant social themes designed to frighten people into giving up wealth and power to internationalist institutions. Global warming was one-such meme and we have long been on record as pointing out that global warming was logically supposed to trigger water and food scarcity memes. These elite promotions tend to work as narratives, leading to the observer logically from one point to another.

Right on schedule, then, the food-scarcity promotion is being rolled out. The only trouble is, as we have also pointed out, the global warming theme lies in ruins. Thus the elite is in a position of unveiling its food and water scarcity promotions without the justification of global warming. This is a big problem and we believe it has made it far more difficult to advertise these secondary messages.

Nonetheless, these promotions roll on. The idea is to continually centralize every human endeavor, and Zoellick's message certainly encourages the trend. We would not expect anything less from the head of the World Bank. This organization (like the IMF, the BIS and the UN itself) masquerades as a free-market entity but it is nothing of the sort."

http://the-classic-liberal.com/food-riots-america/

Wifezilla

Reaction score
At what point do we run out of cattle?
"The U.S. beef cow herd has decreased 12 of the last 14 years, dropping from a cyclical peak of 35.3 million head in 1996 to the January 2010 level of 31.3 million head. This represents the smallest beef cow herd since 1963. Combined with smaller dairy cow numbers, the 2010 calf crop is expected to be 35.4 million head, the smallest U.S. calf crop since 1950. Total U.S. cattle inventory has decreased by almost 10 million head since 1996, to the January 2010 level of 93.7 million head, the smallest cattle inventory since 1959."
http://www.drovers.com/drovers_market_analysis.asp?pgID=295&ed_id=8386

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I didn't read the report so sorry if this was covered... Are they taking into account all of the back yard cows? The ones being raised by the "back to the land" movement.

I just can't help but to think this may be why their numbers are down.

:idunno

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
TanksHill said:
I didn't read the report so sorry if this was covered... Are they taking into account all of the back yard cows? The ones being raised by the "back to the land" movement.

I just can't help but to think this may be why their numbers are down.

:idunno
Certainly think that would account for part of it, but, the veg and vegan movement is also affecting it.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Part of it was also more meat from fewer cows, BUT you only get that with lots and lots of cheap corn. Corn isn't so cheap anymore though.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Maybe it's because beef is so expensive and a lot of people are concerned about fat content. Less demand = less cows.

Who proved that the average temperature around the world hasn't gone up? Maybe proved it to themselves. There's Eskimos that would disagree with that. Can't prove why it's happening but it is happening.

Alarm-ism, is the only way to get people to do anything. I see it on this forum in just about every thread. How many people on here would be storing years of food and centuries worth of bullets if they didn't think we were going to have problems in the future?

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Not everyone on here is storing tons of food and ammo. I know I'm not. But, I do want to be as SS as possible, which to me means growing what I can and preserving it.

Wifezilla

Reaction score
Hi Big Daddy Dunkopf :D

Less cows was due to more weight per individual cow. It is in the article I linked to.

As for food storage, all you have to do is live through a flood, hurricane, tornado, blizzard, etc... to see that having extra on hand is common sense and keeps you from being a burden on an already taxed system. If you are ready for a total SHTF scenario, the minor every day disasters become less troublesome.

I learned a lot when our area went without electricity for 2 weeks. I also learned a lot when we had a blizzard so bad we couldn't go anywhere for days and a friend of ours had to stay with us since the highway to his house was closed.

As for bullets, since I don't have a gun I don't have any, but I do need more arrows now that you mention it......