Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Denim Deb said:
Not everyone on here is storing tons of food and ammo. I know I'm not. But, I do want to be as SS as possible, which to me means growing what I can and preserving it.
We're not either. DW is doing a lot of canning and we have 5, 55 gallon barrels of water in the basement in case the well pump goes out or we have an extended power outage.

No ammo yet. I'll probably buy a shotgun at some point with a couple hundred shells. If the SHTF I figure it may take a few days for the cavalry to arrive.

BTW WZ it's Dunkopf. Big Daddy say's hi to you though.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
Dunkopf said:
Maybe it's because beef is so expensive and a lot of people are concerned about fat content. Less demand = less cows.

Who proved that the average temperature around the world hasn't gone up? Maybe proved it to themselves. There's Eskimos that would disagree with that. Can't prove why it's happening but it is happening.

Alarm-ism, is the only way to get people to do anything. I see it on this forum in just about every thread. How many people on here would be storing years of food and centuries worth of bullets if they didn't think we were going to have problems in the future?
Storing has much more to do with security and good health, then alarmism for many on here.
Real food is getting harder to come by.
Jobs are lost.
Disability happens.

Climate change is also a natural and normal occurance.
It has been happening since the beginning.
Weather cycles and history proves it ;)

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
Here's an interesting article.

Investigators baffled as wheat fields wither

The wheat variety (Clearfield ORCF-102) is a GMO wheat specifically developed for Oregon's climate, I believe by Oregon State University. It is genetically modified to resist the Beyond brand herbicide.

The problem has so far affected around 40,000 acres of wheat.

Bubblingbrooks

Made in Alaska
Reaction score
k0xxx said:

The wheat variety (Clearfield ORCF-102) is a GMO wheat specifically developed for Oregon's climate, I believe by Oregon State University. It is genetically modified to resist the Beyond brand herbicide.

They are Baffled? My foot!!!

Just like "they" cannot figure out colony collapse. Monocropping and GMO had nothing to do with weakening their immune system, naturally.

:he

SKR8PN

Late For Supper
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
k0xxx said:

They are Baffled? My foot!!!

Just like "they" cannot figure out colony collapse. Monocropping and GMO had nothing to do with weakening their immune system, naturally.

:he
From that article on the wheat fields:

"Preliminary samples showed some root pathogen issues, but Searle said the investigation is still in the information-gathering stage. "

Perhaps they should do a little more research on Monsanto and Roundup..... Just sayin".

Denim Deb

More Precious than Rubies
Reaction score
Now why ever would they want to do that. After all, we all know how GREAT they are.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Bubblingbrooks said:
Dunkopf said:
Maybe it's because beef is so expensive and a lot of people are concerned about fat content. Less demand = less cows.

Who proved that the average temperature around the world hasn't gone up? Maybe proved it to themselves. There's Eskimos that would disagree with that. Can't prove why it's happening but it is happening.

Alarm-ism, is the only way to get people to do anything. I see it on this forum in just about every thread. How many people on here would be storing years of food and centuries worth of bullets if they didn't think we were going to have problems in the future?
Storing has much more to do with security and good health, then alarmism for many on here.
Real food is getting harder to come by.
Jobs are lost.
Disability happens.

Climate change is also a natural and normal occurance.
It has been happening since the beginning.
Weather cycles and history proves it ;)
There's a ton of alarmism on here. I read it because there's also a lot of good ideas about SS.

Thank you for agreeing with me about the global warming.

Icu4dzs

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
This turned out to be much longer than I had imagined...Sorry

FWIW storing steak and hamburger "on the hoof" is one of the most efficient "SS" techniques I have found. I only have to feed them during the winter (which I will admit is quite long up here in the "frozen tundra of NE SDAK). The available protein content is unbeatable with the exception of Tilapia which provides the most protein for the amount of feed expended, however, a fish farm in these parts is rather impractical due to the weather.

As for Global Warming, it is true that Global Warming is happening BUT NOT for the reasons all the liberal wacko's are claiming (Just look at Al Gore's energy expenditure in the form of electric bills and jet fuel for his many travels). The earth is basically a gyroscope. It is turning on an axis which we all believe is functionally pointed toward the star we know as Polaris in the constellation Ursa Minor. When one watches a gyroscope turn on it's axis, it does not stay perfectly straight but "wobbles" a bit. To add to this, the entire cosmos is not "sitting still" and is moving through space at a phenomenal speed...quite undetectable to us earthlings but moving none the less.

To this we must add the effect of the disparity between the earth as a mass of matter and the atmosphere which is also a mass of matter. The two masses are of different densities and move at different speeds. The earth is encased by the atmosphere and since the two move at different speeds the effects of the interaction between the two gives us what we commonly call "weather" which changes constantly.

This movement of the entire solar system and everything around it provides for interaction with numberless other cosmic energies and materials. Much of what we call "earth" or "dirt" is the result of cosmic dust that settles on the earth (in generally undetectable amounts) but over a period of time accumulates quite nicely.

With this accumulation of cosmic dust and the materials of which it is comprised, we also benefit by the accumulation of a variety of natural elements that are contained in that dust and this has provided (over the millenia) with a variety of layers on the surface of the earth and given us an interesting variety of reclaimable resources.

It is important to consider that any argument proffered by "scientists" will be tainted by the opinion of those particular "scientists" and more expecially by those folks who choose to use the argument of those scientists rather than others with whom their opinions diametrically oppose. To put it simply, they only listen to the ones who agree with their position.

While there is no argument that these things are indeed happening, they have been happening for millenia and will continue to happen despite man's effect on the environment. While I won't say that man has had NO effect on the environment and certainly won't say that all of man's effect on the environment has been either good or bad, the end result is that the earth is a living organism and takes care of itself, regardless of what we say or do. Noah and the Great Flood?
I don't think we can blame those things on SUV's now can we?Hello, can you say "Hurricane Katrina? "

As for "Alarm-ism" being the only way to get folks to do something one must ask "Why must WE get folks to do anything at all?" If they are not able to keep informed (and in this country that is difficult to imagine) they are liable to suffer the foibles of this world and the failings to which it is sujbected.

If one is as SS as possible, one is doing all they can to not be "alarmed". Who was it that said "To be forwarned is forearmed"? We here have no need to feel alarmed. We live in a state of "preparedness" where we don't notice that the rest of the country lives in huge apartment buildings and eek out a living from what they can purchase that is produced by the American Farmer. These apartment dwellers make obscene amounts of money doing their individual occupations such as stock broker, lawyers etc. Some work in factory's and some do other forms of jobs to support the huge corporations that are slowly but surely trying to take over our form of life and control it. These "WORKERS" can go on strike when they are unhappy about their wages or compensation or whatever but their existence continues to be assured by the fact that the American Farmer continues to work and produce food (including beef) for the consumption of the rest of the country.

But these "workers" who tend to think they are oppressed will find that money very undigestable in the event there is a strike by the American Farmer. They won't be able to burn their money in a furnace to keep warm.

SS folks don't have that problem. We think and act for our own support and existence. Everyone has choices. Some use those choices to be functional and some choose to depend on others for their survival. It has always been this way. We who choose to be SS, do not generally live in expensive homes with expensive furnishings and doormen or gated communities, etc. We live in austere environments where facing the -20F temperatures still has to be done in order to feed the calves and chickens who in turn feed us. This is NOT Alarm-ism. It IS CHOICE.

The majority of American citizens up until the end of the first 1/3 of the 20th century lived on farms and were effectively SS. Now they want to live in cities, have their nintendo, Wii and rapid mass transit AND their expensive sports car rather than invest in their assured self-determination. As a result, they have made their choices and now expect others to conform to their problems.

No thank you. I do go out in the cold and I do feed my animals and I do tend my garden and I do make my own electricity, etc. That is MY CHOICE.

Dunkopf

On Vacation
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:
This turned out to be much longer than I had imagined...Sorry

FWIW storing steak and hamburger "on the hoof" is one of the most efficient "SS" techniques I have found. I only have to feed them during the winter (which I will admit is quite long up here in the "frozen tundra of NE SDAK). The available protein content is unbeatable with the exception of Tilapia which provides the most protein for the amount of feed expended, however, a fish farm in these parts is rather impractical due to the weather.

As for Global Warming, it is true that Global Warming is happening BUT NOT for the reasons all the liberal wacko's are claiming (Just look at Al Gore's energy expenditure in the form of electric bills and jet fuel for his many travels). The earth is basically a gyroscope. It is turning on an axis which we all believe is functionally pointed toward the star we know as Polaris in the constellation Ursa Minor. When one watches a gyroscope turn on it's axis, it does not stay perfectly straight but "wobbles" a bit. To add to this, the entire cosmos is not "sitting still" and is moving through space at a phenomenal speed...quite undetectable to us earthlings but moving none the less.

To this we must add the effect of the disparity between the earth as a mass of matter and the atmosphere which is also a mass of matter. The two masses are of different densities and move at different speeds. The earth is encased by the atmosphere and since the two move at different speeds the effects of the interaction between the two gives us what we commonly call "weather" which changes constantly.

This movement of the entire solar system and everything around it provides for interaction with numberless other cosmic energies and materials. Much of what we call "earth" or "dirt" is the result of cosmic dust that settles on the earth (in generally undetectable amounts) but over a period of time accumulates quite nicely.

With this accumulation of cosmic dust and the materials of which it is comprised, we also benefit by the accumulation of a variety of natural elements that are contained in that dust and this has provided (over the millenia) with a variety of layers on the surface of the earth and given us an interesting variety of reclaimable resources.

It is important to consider that any argument proffered by "scientists" will be tainted by the opinion of those particular "scientists" and more expecially by those folks who choose to use the argument of those scientists rather than others with whom their opinions diametrically oppose. To put it simply, they only listen to the ones who agree with their position.

While there is no argument that these things are indeed happening, they have been happening for millenia and will continue to happen despite man's effect on the environment. While I won't say that man has had NO effect on the environment and certainly won't say that all of man's effect on the environment has been either good or bad, the end result is that the earth is a living organism and takes care of itself, regardless of what we say or do. Noah and the Great Flood?
I don't think we can blame those things on SUV's now can we?Hello, can you say "Hurricane Katrina? "

As for "Alarm-ism" being the only way to get folks to do something one must ask "Why must WE get folks to do anything at all?" If they are not able to keep informed (and in this country that is difficult to imagine) they are liable to suffer the foibles of this world and the failings to which it is sujbected.

If one is as SS as possible, one is doing all they can to not be "alarmed". Who was it that said "To be forwarned is forearmed"? We here have no need to feel alarmed. We live in a state of "preparedness" where we don't notice that the rest of the country lives in huge apartment buildings and eek out a living from what they can purchase that is produced by the American Farmer. These apartment dwellers make obscene amounts of money doing their individual occupations such as stock broker, lawyers etc. Some work in factory's and some do other forms of jobs to support the huge corporations that are slowly but surely trying to take over our form of life and control it. These "WORKERS" can go on strike when they are unhappy about their wages or compensation or whatever but their existence continues to be assured by the fact that the American Farmer continues to work and produce food (including beef) for the consumption of the rest of the country.

But these "workers" who tend to think they are oppressed will find that money very undigestable in the event there is a strike by the American Farmer. They won't be able to burn their money in a furnace to keep warm.

SS folks don't have that problem. We think and act for our own support and existence. Everyone has choices. Some use those choices to be functional and some choose to depend on others for their survival. It has always been this way. We who choose to be SS, do not generally live in expensive homes with expensive furnishings and doormen or gated communities, etc. We live in austere environments where facing the -20F temperatures still has to be done in order to feed the calves and chickens who in turn feed us. This is NOT Alarm-ism. It IS CHOICE.

The majority of American citizens up until the end of the first 1/3 of the 20th century lived on farms and were effectively SS. Now they want to live in cities, have their nintendo, Wii and rapid mass transit AND their expensive sports car rather than invest in their assured self-determination. As a result, they have made their choices and now expect others to conform to their problems.

No thank you. I do go out in the cold and I do feed my animals and I do tend my garden and I do make my own electricity, etc. That is MY CHOICE.
Good for you.

The population of America has increased somewhat since the 1st 3rd of the 20th century. Probably a good thing that most people live in the cities. I too go out in the cold and feed the animals and grow my garden and do all the maintenance around my little farm. Every morning and evening I pat myself on the back and think how exceptional I am to do such a thing. Then I feel sorry for the people in the cities because the vast majority of them lead a much more difficult life than I do.

I'm very happy that Uncle Sam has my back and keeps the country relatively safe and tries to keep the people in the cities minimally fed. That way I don't have to hire an army to protect me and mine. I pay my taxes happily, knowing that it is my fair share and that I have roads to drive on and a fire dept and police department close enough to help out if needed. Regulations in place to keep corporations from putting toxic chemicals in my well and keep the air clear enough that it doesn't look like Hong Kong. They educate my children to give them a chance at the good life.

Yep. Overall I'm pretty happy to be an American. Hopefully the powers that be will not allow the alarmism that is bandied about so freely to ruin our country.

Did I say, thanks for agreeing with me about global warming aka climate change.

Up-the-Creek

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Icu4dzs said:

WELL SAID! :clap :thumbsup