Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Here's some food for thought (ok, a pad pun)... It has been reported that Mountain House Foods, one of the country's largest freeze dried food suppliers, has had their inventory almost totally bought out by the US Government. Hmmm..., something's up.
Smells fishy almost like they don't want folks to be prepared but want them reliant instead :sick

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
Here's some food for thought (ok, a pad pun)... It has been reported that Mountain House Foods, one of the country's largest freeze dried food suppliers, has had their inventory almost totally bought out by the US Government. Hmmm..., something's up.
I read something similar when I was lurking on another forum ( :hide )...that someone there tried to place an order but was told everything was on back-order because of a large Gvt shipment. Just rumor at this point, I haven't tried to order anything from them myself.

I also thought I heard somewhere that a lot of "emergency"-type food was being shipped to Haiti, which was causing some shortages. :/

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
k0xxx said:
Smells fishy almost like they don't want folks to be prepared but want them reliant instead :sick
Im thinking the same thing........

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I don't know if this has been said or not since I haven't had a chance to read the entire thread, but I know that raising livestock was mentioned and I wanted to point out two things 1-the rising price of livestock-better get them sooner than later! Around here if things go bad I can just about predict that the price of a chicken will be astronomical. In the spring I have seen buff hens go for $15 each at auction. Just thinking about a $50 hen makes me want to stock up on some broody breeds. The other is going to be the high price of feed. It takes land to either pasture, or raise your own feed and either way your farm will probably have to be at a minimum of animals to ensure what you have is healthy and provided for in the event of a draught or such. I was just reading a church mag. talking about the coming food crisis. It seems like everything I read is warning us. Worst(or best) case senario we prepare and nothing happens- we have eaten healthier, gotten the enjoyment and feeling of satisfaction that comes from being outdoors and tending animals and gardening and lost nothing but in my case maybe a little bit of weight.(I would hope!)

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Im gradually getting ahold of my animal feeding, Ive got several projects going. Then in the summer I have somer corn and sunflower seeds to grow.

i_am2bz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Interesting story (as usual)...I hadn't thought about how the floods in Australia would affect wheat prices. :/

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
It seems that the previous rumor relating to Government buying of emergency food has been just that, a rumor. Below is the text of a notice directly from Mountain House stating that they are indeed low on inventory, but that the reason is due to an overall increase in demand.

Notice From Mountain House

January 14, 2010
Mountain House

Like many other manufacturers that make emergency preparedness items, we have seen a significant increase in demand for products like ours. We are not able to make product fast enough to supply all of our dealers, so I will confirm that we had to temporarily stop selling to most of our can dealers. We are making can product and it is being shipped to small amount of dealers.

Our company does make product for the Government, but the they are not the reason why we are out of stock. This rumor seems to spark up often and that rumor is NOT true. All of our foil pouches are in stock. The 72 Hour Kit and 7-Day Kit is currently out of stock on our website, but again, we are making more kits and they are being shipped to all of our dealers. We hope to have all products back in stock sometime this Spring.

Thank you for asking.

Melanie

ETA: There continues to be reports of some employees telling customers that the shortage is indeed the result of Government buying, but the above is the company's official statement.

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
If the govvie was capable of planning ahead enough to stock up, would we even BE in this position? *laughing*