Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
abifae said:
A pressure canner is on my wish list.
Mine too. I can't afford one now. We have to rent a back hoe and hire someone to operate it to dig out our massive sink hole that seems to want to eat our shed and woodstove - and this isn't going to be cheap - at least not with our budget

My birthday is coming up and even my gifts have been sacrificed to the back hoe budget, so it's bye-bye potential food processor, dehydrator or pressure canner. sigh.

It will happen eventually, but not this year.

GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
abifae said:
Mine too. I can't afford one now. We have to rent a back hoe and hire someone to operate it to dig out our massive sink hole that seems to want to eat our shed and woodstove - and this isn't going to be cheap - at least not with our budget

My birthday is coming up and even my gifts have been sacrificed to the back hoe budget, so it's bye-bye potential food processor, dehydrator or pressure canner. sigh.

no free fill on craigs or things like that to cut the cost?? a sink hole?!!! that sounds scary!!

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA said:
gettinaclue said:
abifae said:
Mine too. I can't afford one now. We have to rent a back hoe and hire someone to operate it to dig out our massive sink hole that seems to want to eat our shed and wood stove - and this isn't going to be cheap - at least not with our budget

no free fill on craigs or things like that to cut the cost?? a sink hole?!!! that sounds scary!!
I'm sure we should be able to find some free fill, but 250 a day to rent the back hoe, the fuel for the back hoe, paying a guy to operate the back hoe....

and we can't wait long to get it done....

Such bad timing. School is coming up so school supplies for 2 kids, school clothes and shoes. I have a child care bill again next month, my DD and DS are in a wedding in Sept that is 7 hours away in NC, so I have to buy their stuff and take a trip down south - that's a lot of gas.

WAAA WAAA WAAAA. Give me a pacifier. I sound like I'm crying about it...not really...just bemoaning LOL ;) DH just put in a 12 hour day IN THIS HEAT to help us pay for all of this.

Sorry WZ, didn't mean to take over your journal.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
This isn't my journal. This is a thread about money issues. Rant away :D

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Do you have an active craigslist in your area? I've seen canners on ours on occasion. I put the word out for jars last year and ended up with a pressure canner, too...for free! Maybe you could post an ad for one, and offer to trade for something? Maybe some canned goods?

MyKidLuvsGreenEgz

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
A good friend gave me her canner and other canning supplies but I still don't know how to work them. I do use my dehydrators a lot during the summer but my garden isn't doing very well this year, and I have a sudden leg problem preventing me from weeding or doing much of anything vertical! I hope to find some really good deals on veggies and fruits when I can next go shopping (so I can dehydrate them).

Noticing that I'm spending a LOT of money at the grocery lately. Part of it is pre-made gluten-free products for my son (to entice him to eat ... his hollow leg seems to be full lately). Part of it is because I'm stressed and when I'm stressed, I eat. Junk, usually. But now that I'm going to be laid up for a while, I need to get back to healthy foods only.

I think I'm rambling. Sorry.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
freemotion said:
Do you have an active craigslist in your area? I've seen canners on ours on occasion. I put the word out for jars last year and ended up with a pressure canner, too...for free! Maybe you could post an ad for one, and offer to trade for something? Maybe some canned goods?
Honestly, I have never looked in the kitchen section of craigs list. I'm always looking at everything else!

((SLAPS HEAD))

I'm gonna go hit craigs list and see what I can find.

Thanks Free!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Don't focus on the kitchen section. Post "Jars" in the search everywhere spot. Sometimes people have them listed in garag sales, general etc..

I have bought almost all my jars on CL.

g

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Yup, found most of mine in the farm&garden section. I also made a little flyer with pics of the type of jars I wanted and handed them out and put them up here and there. People clean out relative's homes or receive stuff in jars and don't know that they are supposed to give the empty jars back and find them years later in their cupboards. People move and don't want to bring all the canning stuff they bought years ago and barely used. My best hauls of jars were from people who knew people.....and they are usually very happy to give them to someone who will use them.

Take the old glass top bail type jars, too. You can buy rubber rings and use them for dry storage, for your dried herbs and such. I have 25 lbs of organic black beans I bought in bulk in 15 antique quart jars. I have all my oregano, basil, sage, etc in pint ones. All for free! I got hundreds of jars for free in that first campaign.

Also put on the flyer that Classico spaghetti sauce jars are suitable. If you have a Costco nearby, that is what they sell, so if you know Costco shoppers, let them know! I have a friend who would snatch them out of the recycling bin at her apartment house for me when she lived there. Fruit jars (can't remember which brand it is, maybe Delmonico?) are not suitable. They are made to look like canning jars but they are not and do not fit the lids. Save the Classico lids, though, they are very handy when you put a partially used jar of stuff into the fridge.

Latest posts