Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Found a canner!!

Going to take a look at it this afternoon and maybe pick it up. 50 bucks and the seals and weights have all been replaced. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!!

I already have a few jars. I've bought a little at the time in anticipation..:D

framing fowl

On a mission
Reaction score
Here's some free unsolicited CL buying tips :p. If it's $50, make sure you take small bills, like maybe tens and a couple of fives. Don't be too excited. Look it over carefully. Do you know what brand it is? Check the seals, open and close it, etc. Then after you've slowly looked it over and not been too excited, say "Would you take $35 for it?" Then don't speak until they give you a yes or no. $50 is a better price than new but still sounds a little on the high side to me for CL but maybe not for your area.

Good luck! :fl

dipence71

Got the t-shirt
Reaction score
I found a pressure canner at a yard sale for $15. I know I need to take it to my local extension office and hsve it regulated and checked over....BUTTTT $15 is such a bargain I cant buy a stock pot that size for 15 anywhere so even if it doesnt work as pressure canner I am still on the plus side lol!!!!

Double check it out and keep your eye out for better bargains as well.

gettinaclue

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
framing fowl said:
Here's some free unsolicited CL buying tips :p. If it's $50, make sure you take small bills, like maybe tens and a couple of fives. Don't be too excited. Look it over carefully. Do you know what brand it is? Check the seals, open and close it, etc. Then after you've slowly looked it over and not been too excited, say "Would you take $35 for it?" Then don't speak until they give you a yes or no. $50 is a better price than new but still sounds a little on the high side to me for CL but maybe not for your area.

Good luck! :fl
Thanks for the tips FF! Will do.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
gettinaclue said:
Found a canner!!

Going to take a look at it this afternoon and maybe pick it up. 50 bucks and the seals and weights have all been replaced. Keep your fingers crossed for me!!!!

I already have a few jars. I've bought a little at the time in anticipation..:D
Anything rubber should be replaced each season, so you still may need to replace them. If it is All American snap it up! If not, yes, talk them down! Presto 23 qt can be gotten on sale for about $100. Smaller ones are cheaper, esp if they don't have a dial guage.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We have two of them exactly like that. We have used them with no problems at all for at least 25 yrs. Gaskets and seals are still readily available. Try to get it for $40 or less. I think $50 is a little too much.

freemotion

Food Guru
Reaction score
Presto is very helpful....you can call the company to find out what the gasket and over-pressure plug will cost. And see if your local hardware store carries them. I ended up ordering mine from the company because no one carried all the parts. Even with shipping it was very reasonable. But the more info you are armed with, the lower you can get the price!

How many jars can you fit in the 21 quart? That is another consideration. I can get 20 reg mouth pints or 7 reg mouth quarts in my 23 qt presto. Not all canners allow for stacking the pint jars, and this has been an important feature for me. It takes the same amount of time to can 20 pints as it does 10 pints! And gas or electricity. It doesn't have to be a deal breaker, but again, another bargaining point.

Hoping you get it and at a good price!

Latest posts