Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

~gd

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA said:
craigs list is the best!!!! lol..
Being basically CHEAP I always check FREECYCLE first, everything is free for picking up. Some sites don't allow animals, my local does. It is considered good form to look like you could not afford to buy what you are picking up for free. Frankly when I downsized to a smaller home i got rid of all my unwanted furniture through freecycle. They picked up where I would have had to load and hauled to Goodwill, Salvation Army, or volenteers of America. And people would have had to paid something for it there. I just cut out the middle man, and gave up the tax deduction which might have been questioned anyways.~gd

calendula

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
~gd said:
GOOGLE NIKOLA TESLA said:
craigs list is the best!!!! lol..
Being basically CHEAP I always check FREECYCLE first, everything is free for picking up. Some sites don't allow animals, my local does. It is considered good form to look like you could not afford to buy what you are picking up for free. Frankly when I downsized to a smaller home i got rid of all my unwanted furniture through freecycle. They picked up where I would have had to load and hauled to Goodwill, Salvation Army, or volenteers of America. And people would have had to paid something for it there. I just cut out the middle man, and gave up the tax deduction which might have been questioned anyways.~gd
I tried out freecycle, and I've had one heck of a time with it. People would offer to get the stuff I was giving away, and then never show up. I finally ended up just donating most of it to the local thrift store. But, I haven't offered to pick anything up yet, simply because noone is really offering anything. Most posts are for things people want, rather than what they have to give away.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I've managed our local Freecycle group since 2004. A lot of what people offer is indeed junk, however as they say, "One man's junk...". That's what the group is about, keeping anything that can be used by someone else out of the landfill. We are one of the groups that do allow animals though and I have used it to re-home excess roosters on occasion. It is a shame though, that a lot of people only get on Freecycle to beg for stuff, and it seems to be worse in rural areas. Our group has a rule that you are allowed to ask for specific items only once a month.

BarredBuff

El Presidente de Pollo
Reaction score
Finally getting our pantry stocked, have several extra things in. Several things packaged, all is going well. :D

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
The area i live in has had four hives, all from different locations stolen this past year. Some pro pollinators who have had larger numbers of honeybee hives disappear have been planting tracking devices in the hives.

Britesea

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I've been gradually increasing our food production here. It's not easy when you are old and fat and have had a sedentary lifestyle for far too long! But we have a garden started (5 raised beds, 3x9) and a couple of apple trees that are at least 50 years old, some kind of yellow plums, a swath of wild roses for hips, and a chokecherry. Even though we don't smoke, I have a couple of tobacco plants- for insecticide and barter. I planted a couple of stevia plants for sweetening too. I've talked my husband into getting some ducks, and we are right next to the river which is full of crayfish and catfish. Next paycheck, we will put together a couple of cold frames. Hopefully we will be able to produce enough food to keep ourselves going, at least.

Boogity

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Hello and welcome, Britesea. It sounds like you're off to a good start. Keep up the good work and keep us posted.

Latest posts