Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Inflation (without getting too technical) is when the value of the dollar decreases.

Which in turn typically doesn't hurt the economy with small fluctuations over time... because with inflated prices typically comes inflated saleries as well... comparing us to the 50's prices also needs to compare us to the 50's salary as well...

but the recent price increases are just that increases because the average income has either stayed the same or for nearly half of Americans it's lessened... so in my eyes that's not just simple inflation...

Like wifezilla said... in just 3 months time the price for a can of coffee has went from 8.98 to 14.76 my hubby sure didn't make up for that amount in his paycheck... and with that only being one food item... if they all increase that way with out an increase in pay that is some MAJOR price INCREASES in my book...

DesertChick

Power Conserver
Reaction score
What really upsets me about food prices is that the food companies are getting sneaky in regards to the amount we are purchasing. For example, my favorite brand of coffee was available in 3 lb plastic containers. Then the container was "improved" with a nice, convenient handle and the amount of coffee decreased to 2 lbs 7 oz. One day I opened a new container and noticed that the coffee was not near the top. I looked at the weight and it had been decreased to 2 lbs 1.7 oz! :somad

Don't even get me started on the decreasing size of t.p.!

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
with inflated prices typically comes inflated saleries as well
Yes. The flat salaries are what is killing consumers.

Don't even get me started on the decreasing size of t.p.!
Especially since my butt hasn't gotten any smaller... :gig

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Right. My job has promised to not increase our pay in any way and they don't let any overtime happen.

You get in trouble if you force them into extra pay. On holidays that are time and a half, they try to send everyone home.

So costs are going up and no chance to get more income.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
I seemed to remember reading a report recently that said for the first time since we began producing ethanol for fuel, more corn has gone into fuel production, than for food. Corn or corn oil is in so much of the foods we eat, not to mention being a very large part of the feed for livestock. Add on top of that, this years' droughts in some areas, and the flooding in others.

At least temporarily, the price of beef has gone down because of the drought. Farmers in Texas, Oklahoma, and the surrounding states are having to send most of their herds to market due to the lack of water. It's driving beef prices down at the moment, but there will probably be a large increase over the next few years as herd stocks are being rebuilt.

Edited to correct 1st sentence. I typed "producing ethanol for food", it was corrected to be "producing ethanol for fuel". I must have been sipping some of that ethanol when that was typed.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
Prices in general have definately shot up around here while jobs remain stagnant, but that is just here, not sure how it is elsewhere. We have good meat prices, but a lot of produce prices have increased dramatically. Thankfully, I got most of my produce from a farmer's market that still pretty much had last years prices on their goods, and it is grown right out back of the little store ;) I compared prices in the stores with those I got at the FM. Cukes at the FM were 25 cents each for the big nice slicers, at the grocery(also locally grown) 79 cents each :/ Squash, onions, green beans, okra, peppers, potatoes, and tomatoes were pretty much the same story half to a third of the price in difference compared to the grocery stores. I know the farmer who supplies one local grocer, and that was the store I compared prices, so both local, comparable produce, but HUGE price difference.