Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I agree food is very expensive anymore. If we didn't have a garden or freezer or home canned stuff for stocking up and had to buy everything we eat every week it would really run into some money. Trying to buy enough food for the 4 of us for 3 balanced meals plus a snack or two per day can really add up. And it's getting more expensive since the boys are coming into that stage of adolesence/preteen years of being bottomless garbage disposals :lol: That's why I had to go back to work, just to feed the two animals!

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
I'm glad, Old Fashioned. I spend a lot of time here wondering why I spend so very much more on food than the rest of this forum does. *laughs* The thread on "how much do you spend on groceries" had me baffled. And food isn't much more in Denver than it is where Auntie lives, but CO food in general might be hella more than it is in other states. Not really sure. I mostly buy local but then things like coconut milk, coconut butter, nuts.... none of that is local. Just meat and veggies and dairy are. So all those non-local need trucked up over the Rocky Mountains.

:idunno

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
abifae said:
I'm glad, Old Fashioned. I spend a lot of time here wondering why I spend so very much more on food than the rest of this forum does. *laughs* The thread on "how much do you spend on groceries" had me baffled. And food isn't much more in Denver than it is where Auntie lives, but CO food in general might be hella more than it is in other states. Not really sure. I mostly buy local but then things like coconut milk, coconut butter, nuts.... none of that is local. Just meat and veggies and dairy are. So all those non-local need trucked up over the Rocky Mountains.

:idunno
We spend more than that as well, Abi, so I was wondering about the regional prices of food. We did go through a period of time that we were spending about 125.00 per person for food (excluding animal food) per month, but that was eating REALLY frugally and not really with enough produce in our diet. We do not have acres available to plant veggies (heavy forest) so we cannot grow enough of our own to offset the cost of fruits and veggies the way some people have here. And I think part of our problem is having two teenage boys, they are more expensive to feed than other types/ages of folks.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Abi has a 400 mile an hour metabolism too. That plays a BIG part in her food bill. Plus, not having a car, you can't easily store hop and take advantage of sales.

savingdogs

Queen Filksinger
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Abi has a 400 mile an hour metabolism too. That plays a BIG part in her food bill. Plus, not having a car, you can't easily store hop and take advantage of sales.
Maybe that is part of my problem too. I cannot store hop. I can choose the best deal in the store and switch around which stores we visit, but I don't drive anymore.

CrimsonRose

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
many I doubt are claiming the price to raise the animals they have for food that supplements them... Also many raise gardens... If I bought all the food we eat without raising some of it... we would be spending a small fortune... but since we raise rabbits and chickens as well as garden and buy cheap from local farmers to can our winter food... we can get by on much less... we spend almost as much on animal feed as we do ourselves! but if you don't count that cost we can get by on about 100 per person per month... but with the animals (feed cages fencing water) and garden costs (water seeds fencing ect) it way over doubles that amount!

MetalSmitten

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I noticed that when I lived in WA state, -everything- was much more expensive than I'd previously been used to when I lived in VA. Even the household bills were ridiculous. That's (part of) the reason I left the state, it was just too hard to get ahead because the basics cost so much more there. Of course, I was in Tacoma, but I think the whole state is expensive. I always wondered if part of it was to make up for the lack of state income taxes.

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
I agree food is very expensive anymore.
I read this type of statement all over the forum, but I'm not sure it's true. Food prices are considered volatile---they go up and down all the time. And, you have to include inflation whenever you talk about difference in prices over time. An dozen eggs cost less 50 years ago if you only look at the number, but the time-value of money will show a more accurate difference.

Also, food is cheap in the US, thanks to federal programs that incentivize higher production. It's my understanding that our food costs, compared to typical incomes, are among the lowest in the world. We don't have the food shortages or riots over food prices that are seen elsewhere.

IMHO, part of emergency preparedness is clear thinking. A frank assessment of food price inflation is needed, not worrying and fear. Inflation is a fact of life in any society where borrowing is possible. Understanding it helps you navigate life's journey, including emergancies.

(BTW, I enjoy all of the SS forums. I don't mean to pick on anyone in particular, but make a comment about a general trend. I respect other points of view and wanted to share my own.)

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
Whether or not our food is cheaper compared to other parts of the planet doesn't matter much. If you were used to paying $1 for a 5 lb bag of flour and it now costs you $3, you and your family are going to feel it. Especially since wages have been flat.

old fashioned

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wifezilla said:
Whether or not our food is cheaper compared to other parts of the planet doesn't matter much. If you were used to paying $1 for a 5 lb bag of flour and it now costs you $3, you and your family are going to feel it. Especially since wages have been flat.
EXACTLY!

It's been near impossible to find any meat (beef or pork) for less than $2lb (with the exception of SOME chicken). Last weeks ad for Albertson had Chuck steak or roast for $3.99lb and that's supposed to be on sale? for CHUCK? Even though it was boneless I thought that was ridiculous. Fruit as in peaches, nectarines, plums & pluots (small sized) START at $1.29lb up to $1.99lb, Fuji apples $1.49lb, broccoli or cauliflower $1.49lb, corn 2 for $1 and Yukon Gold potatoes 5lb bag for $4.99!!! And I seriously doubt any of the produce was from WA state. They did have cantaloupe for .48 lb and I know it wasn't from WA.
Cheapest coffee is around $10, sugar is $3-$4 for 5lbs, flour is about the same, cooking oil is about $4.50 for 40oz bottle and olive oil is a couple dollars more.
I can sometimes find better prices on groceries at my favorite local 'family owned' store that usually has much cheaper prices on their meat & produce...other stuff not so much. Most of their produce is from WA farms and that's a big bonus I think.