Food Prices, Shortages & Inflation - The Trash Index

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
k0xxx said:
USA becomes Food Stamp Nation but is it sustainable?

"Altogether, there are now almost 46 million people in the United States on food stamps, roughly 15 percent of the population. That's an increase of 74 percent since 2007, just before the financial crisis and a deep recession led to mass job losses."
Having just gotten back on them last month due to no work, and now busting my butt(found a good "job") to get back off(I will NOT "qualify" next month :woot ) I can honestly say the place was PACKED. I was almost shocked at how many people were in there signing up for assistance. It was sad :( I know SOME of them could work or whatever, but I know my situation...capable of working...IF there were any jobs. It is devastating. I am hauling scrap to make ends meet now, but we went through 3 weeks of meatless(bologna REALLY doesn't count after 10 times in a row :p ) meals until the carnivorous craving for mass ammounts of protein killed the last of my pride :lol: It SUCKED walking back in that place, but I have a whiney teenager to feed :hu Lots of folks are finding themselves in such situations. I can only grow so much and had to sell a lot of my stock for cash to squeeeeeze in another house payment. If not for my uncle's kind offer of letting us "clean up" his property...I dunno when we would be able to get off them again. DH simply is not working...has a job...technically speaking, but what good is it if you aren't working because of lack of work?!?! That said, the numbers do NOT suprise me AT ALL.

ETA: Heck NO it aint sustainable, why do ya think I'm working so hard to AVOID them :lol:

R2D2

Power Conserver
Reaction score
Thanks for helping Pirtykitty..:) Ya know, if food stamps and SSD were going to the intended Americans it was meant for, in need, it wouldn't be in so much trouble.Those south of the border, not here legally and armed with fake ID and other needed documents see it as oppurtunity,and are milking us dry.By the time the most Americans relize whats happening, it will have been to late...ahh, i think we have just about arrived...

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
I did notice too while on the blasted things that they give you wayyyyyy too much. We are a family of 3, and if I spent every month on food, even without a garden, that they give....I'd be fat as a bear! Really...$535 for 3 people?! I don't even touch that number with toiletries and groceries combined in any given month...aside from December(Christmas goodies ;) ) Another reason I say it is not sustainable. People on FS have more time to shop...ya think they could find the bargains at the very least. :hu

k15n1

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
I did notice too while on the blasted things that they give you wayyyyyy too much. We are a family of 3, and if I spent every month on food, even without a garden, that they give....I'd be fat as a bear! Really...$535 for 3 people?! I don't even touch that number with toiletries and groceries combined in any given month...aside from December(Christmas goodies ;) ) Another reason I say it is not sustainable. People on FS have more time to shop...ya think they could find the bargains at the very least. :hu
I'm with you there.

The official results of the unofficial and unscientific food-cost poll (people from this forum) was 100 $/person each month.

Wannabefree

Little Miss Sunshine
Reaction score
k15n1 said:
Wannabefree said:
I'm with you there.

The official results of the unofficial and unscientific food-cost poll (people from this forum) was 100 $/person each month.
EXACTLY, I was rather shocked at the ammount, but once on the darn things...you have to PROVE you are able to get off of them :th I got over THREE months worth of meats and staples(flour sugar meal salt spices etc.) for that much....simply by shopping sales and clipping coupons. Just like evrything else government...FS's are excessive.

I do generally spend $100 a month per person on average, and that is averaging in my December big meal planning, so most months I do not spend that much even.

k0xxx

Mr. Sunshine
Reaction score
old fashioned said:
TanksHill said:
I was looking for a freezer at Home Depot today as well, no luck. I think I'm going to check the used appliance place up the street from me. I did see a small one at Lowe's yesterday. I think 9 cubic feet. It was priced ok but I don't think it would hold much at all.

:idunno

oh hey wouldn't this be nice. :fl

http://sandiego.craigslist.org/nsd/bfs/2558783716.html

:gig
I WANT ONE!!!!
I would LOVE to have one also! (although I'd rather not have to pay for the electric usage)

While not a walk in freezer, walk in coolers are not hard to build. All you need is is a well insulated room, a suitable sized window A/C, and a controller . Check out this video of a fellow making one in his garage. The company that makes the controller says that with a properly sized a/c, you can keep the cooler at 35 degrees. Nice! If our dream of a summer kitchen ever comes true, I may have to build one.

Here's a Paul Wheaton video of someones "cheese cave" using this method. And yet another video of someone using this method for flowers.

ETA: Yeah, I know this is a little OT, but I figure for those of us unable to build a root cellar, it's a different (if somewhat electrical dependent) way to go for food storage.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
That's pretty much what my fil did with his wine cellar. It's under the house but did not stay cool enough. He had to bypass the control and some other stuff. But it works great now.

I really don't think that big of a freezer would ever be needed or practical. I just happened to find it.

G

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Wannabefree said:
:idunno And I have always heard on TV that they don't give you nearly enough to survive! I have to wonder where they are shopping and what they are buying.

hoosier

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
DH said, "Why look for bargains - someone else is paying for it!"

abifae

Abinormal Butterfly
Reaction score
Depends on where you live and what you eat.

I spend 300-400 a month on groceries, just for me. (I budget 80/week. I used to have some weeks slightly over, some slightly under, but with food prices going up I might have to add 20.) Actually, that includes all the shopping, toilet paper and cat food and litter, too. So me alone is definitely gonna be 400/month soon, easily. Especially once I run out of meat in the freezer and have to buy meat again. I am really hoping to afford a quarter cow by then. I would be thrilled with 535 JUST FOR ME!

Realistically, they buy everything boxed, sodas, candy, potato chips, hamburger helper, etc. That's why it's not enough. That junk adds up FAST. But also, food is really freaking expensive.