Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Dialysis will keep her blood cleaned and her body functioning. My ex husbands aunt was on it for years, 3x a week. It is better than any alternative even though it is not what anyone would wish for... for now it is the best alternative.

I am really sorry for your daughter, and for the whole family's pain. Prayers for a match for her soon... and prayers to the family that will have to make the decision to donate that organ.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks @farmerjan - and everyone!

We got word last night that there is a liver available. If it checks out to be good and healthy we might be in surgery by this afternoon. Very excited for what may be. great news for us but my heart is breaking for the family who is making the attempt to ease others pain while going through such great tragedy themselves.

Nothing is set in stone yet. There are a lot of moving parts to this and the stars have to align perfectly.

FarmerJamie

Mr. Sensitive
Reaction score
Thanks @farmerjan - and everyone!

We got word last night that there is a liver available. If it checks out to be good and healthy we might be in surgery by this afternoon. Very excited for what may be. great news for us but my heart is breaking for the family who is making the attempt to ease others pain while going through such great tragedy themselves.

Nothing is set in stone yet. There are a lot of moving parts to this and the stars have to align perfectly.
:hugs:hugs:fl:fl

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
DD got the liver today! They do the surgery in two steps. The first part was today where they took out the old and inserted the new. Either tomorrow or Monday they'll go in and fine tune everything and do a procedure on the pancreas because it has some problems. Tonight they'll monitor her to make sure she doesn't bleed too much - if so they may go back in tonight. Still nervous but glad this portion is done.

tortoise

Wild Hare
Reaction score
DD got the liver today! They do the surgery in two steps. The first part was today where they took out the old and inserted the new. Either tomorrow or Monday they'll go in and fine tune everything and do a procedure on the pancreas because it has some problems. Tonight they'll monitor her to make sure she doesn't bleed too much - if so they may go back in tonight. Still nervous but glad this portion is done.
I'm so thankful this came together so quickly for her. She must have been in a truly dire situation to receive a transplant so quickly. :'(

Are they keeping her sedated?

:hugs

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I'm so thankful this came together so quickly for her. She must have been in a truly dire situation to receive a transplant so quickly. :'(

Are they keeping her sedated?
Thanks - me too!

They use a thing called "meld" score to determine where you rank on the list. She had been running a score of 38. The high score is 40 - which means you definitely are in dire need. When they started dialysis yesterday it added two more points to her score which put her at 40 - and moved her to the top of the list. Within 3 hours of starting dialysis she was offered an organ.

She is still intubated and heavily sedated tonight, but tomorrow they will lighten her meds so that she is basically in a twilight sedation. They like to do that so that she can answer questions with a nod or a head shake or a thumbs up or down.