Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Did some mulching this morning. I replaced some rotted wood with cinder blocks around the raised beds last fall. Weeds are growing through the holes - ugh. Talked to a friend a while ago and she said she puts cardboard in the bottom of the cinderblock hole, fills the hole up with soil and plants onions in the hole. Hmmm... I think I'll give it a try. I guess you wouldn't need to stop with onions... radishes, danver half-long carrots...a seed in each hole? Might not work well in the summer because I'll bet the blocks absorb heat. But, for fall/winter they should be ok. Love the idea. Not sure it'll work but you know I'll be trying it.

Rammy

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Did some mulching this morning. I replaced some rotted wood with cinder blocks around the raised beds last fall. Weeds are growing through the holes - ugh. Talked to a friend a while ago and she said she puts cardboard in the bottom of the cinderblock hole, fills the hole up with soil and plants onions in the hole. Hmmm... I think I'll give it a try. I guess you wouldn't need to stop with onions... radishes, danver half-long carrots...a seed in each hole? Might not work well in the summer because I'll bet the blocks absorb heat. But, for fall/winter they should be ok. Love the idea. Not sure it'll work but you know I'll be trying it.
I did cinder block raised beds once and thats what I did. Radishes, Danvers, lettuce in one hole only. Lots of possibilities.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I did cinder block raised beds once and thats what I did. Radishes, Danvers, lettuce in one hole only. Lots of possibilities.
Glad to hear another positive review! I shoveled up some barn gold this morning. I'll mix that with a bag of organic potting soil and will get this project started soon.

However - the Texans are playing right now and that takes precedence, lol!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Tomorrow is pond day!

Today I need to move some things around to make it easier for the bulldozer to get in here tomorrow. I need to move the stock trailer first. Then I need to pull up a t-post and stock panel so he can get from the barnyard driveway out into the pasture. I'll have to warn him about my septic lines so he can stay away from them. When we had this system put in, I had them double sleeve the pipes out in the pasture just in case I had any heavy stuff come in - but I still don't want to take any chances with him running over 'em. Once he gets out to where the pond is going to be it won't be an issue. The lines don't go out that far.

I'm beginning to get worried about the weather. Chance of rain is 30% tomorrow and 40% Wednesday. Goes up to 60% Thursday. The plan is for him to work Tues/Wed. I hope he can get it done before any serious rain comes. ARGH - I'm a nervous wreck, lol. I want my pond!