Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Did some mulching this morning. I replaced some rotted wood with cinder blocks around the raised beds last fall. Weeds are growing through the holes - ugh. Talked to a friend a while ago and she said she puts cardboard in the bottom of the cinderblock hole, fills the hole up with soil and plants onions in the hole. Hmmm... I think I'll give it a try. I guess you wouldn't need to stop with onions... radishes, danver half-long carrots...a seed in each hole? Might not work well in the summer because I'll bet the blocks absorb heat. But, for fall/winter they should be ok. Love the idea. Not sure it'll work but you know I'll be trying it.

the possible issue there is the expansion and contraction of the soil in the holes which can eventually crack the cinder blocks. i know you don't have much issue with the freeze/thaw cycles down there but i'm not sure how much problem can come from the heat and cooling along short of freezing...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
the possible issue there is the expansion and contraction of the soil in the holes which can eventually crack the cinder blocks
It could happen. But I've had tons of cinderblocks sitting around - some with dirt packed into them and haven't noticed any of them cracked or broken. I did make a mistake once of trying to build a fire ring out of them and almost all of them busted in the heat. Lesson learned!

If these break from freezing they shouldn't be hard to replace. I hope that if there's expansion that it'll go up or down and not out, lol.

Do NOT hang any laundry -- that will assure rain happens.
Dang it - I need to run out to the back yard real quick!

hahahaha! or wash your vehicle!!
HA! My truck gets washed at least once a year and it's not time yet!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
It could happen. But I've had tons of cinderblocks sitting around - some with dirt packed into them and haven't noticed any of them cracked or broken. I did make a mistake once of trying to build a fire ring out of them and almost all of them busted in the heat. Lesson learned!

If these break from freezing they shouldn't be hard to replace. I hope that if there's expansion that it'll go up or down and not out, lol.

if you use something more fluffy like potting soil or compost added to the regular garden soil then perhaps it would not compact as much and be an issue, but generally with soil compaction does happen and as the years go by it applies more and more force and cinder blocks are not designed to be strong against those directions of the forces.

up here where freeze/thaw cycles can happen a lot we have some cinder blocks around but enough of them have broken that it's not a very good use of them. i'd much rather have solid blocks then it's not an issue.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Tomorrow is pond day!

Today I need to move some things around to make it easier for the bulldozer to get in here tomorrow. I need to move the stock trailer first. Then I need to pull up a t-post and stock panel so he can get from the barnyard driveway out into the pasture. I'll have to warn him about my septic lines so he can stay away from them. When we had this system put in, I had them double sleeve the pipes out in the pasture just in case I had any heavy stuff come in - but I still don't want to take any chances with him running over 'em. Once he gets out to where the pond is going to be it won't be an issue. The lines don't go out that far.

I'm beginning to get worried about the weather. Chance of rain is 30% tomorrow and 40% Wednesday. Goes up to 60% Thursday. The plan is for him to work Tues/Wed. I hope he can get it done before any serious rain comes. ARGH - I'm a nervous wreck, lol. I want my pond!
:fl:fl:fl:fl:fl🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏🙏

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Well.... trailer is moved. Stock panel opens plenty wide enough. Spray paint is ready to draw out the pond - but....but...but...

Very likely that rain will happen. Talked to bulldozer man and we're going to touch base in the morning, but it's not looking good. What we don't want to happen is for him to get a good start and get rain that will fill up the hole before it's done. UGH!

Someone asked me one time what was my worst character flaw....(like I have one, lol). But, I m terribly impatient. When I'm ready for something - I'm ready!