Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So, today I decided to get the mowing done before we get more rain. I'm having a heckuva time getting the mower in the back yard because of the downed tree. But, I get it done. Mowed the front, the back, the front goat pen and the side yard. The more I mowed, the more problems I had. Demolished the rubber grass chute thingy, but I kept mowing.. Had to cut part of it off with loppers. Noticed that one of the plastic pulley covers was loose, but I kept mowing. Also, one of the front tires was not just flat, but broke loose from the rim, and I just kept mowing. I mean, it was already off the rim and I only had a small bit left. Now it's done, but I guess I won't be mowing again until I address, and hopefully solve, at least some of those issues.

Started looking at some of the does today and thinking about breeding plans. Wish I knew what's going to happen with DH's surgery so I could make firmer plans. I may, for the first time ever, NOT breed all of my does. My theory has always been that if I feed them all year they need to provide babies for me to either sell or retain. They need to earn their keep! I hate being in limbo...

Warming up a dinner re-do. Smells as good tonight as it did last night. Had to get all this stuff done so we can sit and enjoy the game. Go Texans!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Been working more on the downed tree. Got a lot more cut off of it. I'm still using the little baby chain saw. Love that thing! But, it won't be long before I have to move up to the bigger chain saw. I'm a little bit afraid of the big one. I keep calling it the 'big one' but it's really not huge at all. And, it's battery powered too. I've never used it, but gonna have to just jump in and try it I guess. It'll still be a few days at least until I get to that part - unless I slow down a little, lol.

Got the branch pile mostly burned. I'm burning the little branches, but going to keep some of the bigger stuff for future firewood. Don't have a fireplace, but firewood sounds good anyway, lol. Actually, want to get another chiminea for the back porch someday. Maybe when DH can walk better and can make it out there.

Have lots of weed whacking that needs to be done. Probably a never ending chore at this point. I don't have a really good weed whacker either. DH has always preferred working with electric ones. Ugh - I hate the cord. Plus, I can't go everywhere I want to being tethered to a cord. I have a very small battery operated one that works decently for small stuff. But, need to consider a more powerful option. I kinda hate gas ones because if anything goes wrong I can't fix it. Maybe I should learn to work on small engines. I mean, I can already do simple plumbing (very simple, lol) so why not small engine repairs? :idunno

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
So - the doc appt. this morning. Holy Crap - not anything like we expected. They're still hesitant to do back surgery - but they will if we want them to. However, they're looking at other reasons for his issues. They brought up a possible explanation for his symptoms. Normal Pressure Hydrocephalus. They looked at a scan that he had previously and noticed that some of the ventricles in his brain look enlarged. It wasn't a complete scan, so they've ordered another one.

These are possible symptoms of NPH:
  • Trouble walking (feels like the feet are stuck to the ground), Poor balance, Falling, Changes in the way you walk, Forgetfulness and confusion, Mood changes, Depression, Difficulty responding to questions, Loss of bladder control
We need a CT scan so they can check the ventricles in his head. Next step if they think they are enlarged because of too much spinal fluid they will do a spinal tap to remove some fluid. If that helps his symptoms then they would implant a shunt in his brain to drain the excess fluid. So, again we are in a waiting pattern.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Is he having these symptoms? Falling, yes; depression, yes; but, the mental ones?

Geesh.....I'm sorry for this but -- glad they are addressing everything, hoping and knowing the danger for surgeries. Tighten up the possibilities.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
He is having the mental issues. Symptoms aren't terrible, but they are there. He is the most articulate person I've ever met and for the last 6 months or so he has to really search for words. Memory is deteriorating also. These symptoms don't bother me so much because they're not terribly pronounced - but I really need him to be able to walk! I broke down and ordered a wheelchair today. I got a simple one mostly for doc visits and around here. If this turns out to be a permanent condition, I'll get him a cadillac wheel chair, lol.

BUT - this has NOT been confirmed. CT scan in a week.

While I don't wish this on him - I would really like to have "the" answer so we can start working to mitigate symptoms.

He is literally the sweetest person ever. I mean - he puts up with me, lol. He deserves a break.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Today was a really good day. DH fell a week ago and has been hurting a lot from that. But today he has turned a corner and wasn't nearly as painful in his ribs. He got out of a chair every time all on his own. He was able to get on the exercise bike for about a half-hour. Yay! This doesn't mean his other issues are gone, but we're happy to take even a tiny win!

Been letting the goats into all the overgrown garden areas. Maybe I can have a fall garden. Maybe...

I'm keeping the goats dry-lotted full time now so what does one do with the overgrown pasture? I've been doing some thinking and research, and it seems there's only one animal that would thrive here. Are ya'll ready for it?

Domesticated Water Buffalo! :lol: They love swampy areas and even mosquitoes don't bother them too much. So, whadda ya'll think? Should I try to find myself a water buffalo? I hear their milk makes wonderful cheese! :drool