Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Slept in a little this morning. It was nice. No reason to get up and out early because it's raining again. Maybe I should say it's "still" raining. Seems like it's been raining for a month and it kinda has. I still have storm clean-up to do. It's just so wet. The big tree that split in the back yard is still there - waiting for me, lol. Since it only split and wasn't a clean break that section of the tree is still alive and even putting on new leaves on the downed part. How crazy is that? I kinda feel bad for it because it just wants to live. However, in the interim, it is offering fresh browse to some of the goats.

Need to get outside and feed and check on the critters. Some of them have had snotty noses, fevers and coughs so they're getting some TLC in the form of antibiotic injections. They (don't) love me so much for that. I follow it up with treats to try to get them to forget their torturous treatment.

farmerjan

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I think about you and the loss... and cannot help but admire how you have found a way to carry on... I look forward to hearing about the "grands".... Kinda funny, that I was just thinking the other day that it must be about a year since your loss, and here I read it ....
Love to you , for your loss and hugs for the strength you find to carry on every day...

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Thanks @farmerjan No other choice but to carry on.

Been busy - as usual. Still working on storm clean up. I've picked up tons of branches and have at least a half-ton more to go. That's just the loose stuff. Also working on the tree that split in the back yard. The part that split off is huge, almost an entire tree itself. I give an hour or so each day to it. It would be nice if things were dry enough to burn, but as of now I just have piles of branches stacked up everywhere. So over it!

Drs appointments keep us busy. Last week was awesome - not a single appt. Three this week. He's also starting PT again. Today will likely just be an assessment and a plan of action.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
They do come to the house. Much better for us. Getting DH out of the house and into the car is a huge process. Difficult and somewhat hazardous. If he falls...

They focus on simple strengthening exercises that don't really need special equipment for. For most exercises that people use a machine for there's a likely alternative that you can do without the equipment. We've got resistance bands, dumbells and a recumbent bicycle here. They use those at times.

No beavers around here... Everybody around here has plenty of their own firewood after that storm! It's ok, I'm doing a bit at a time. Feeding the leaves to the goats and making my own firewood out of some of it.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
My mom would not do the PT they suggested between visits. 😂 She threw the bands away 🙄😶
Your mom is not the only one, lol. Three months-ish ago when they discharged him from PT he was much stronger. He went down quickly when he stopped working at it. But, his back has also gotten worse - verified by the second MRI so there's that.

This round of PT is to hopefully get him stronger before surgery so his recovery will go better. I've got him doing wall-pushups along with the bicycle almost every day. He's so weak he can only do 4-5 of the wall pushups. That's really sad... but, when you do nothing 23.5 hours a day I guess it's not surprising. :( I'm pushing him every day now - no more Mrs Nice Guy...(or gal).

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Add age & muscle loss, it's hard to do as once we did. Maybe 4-5 twice a day?
Yep! I think that's how it's going to have to go. Slow and steady.

DH had a cardiology appt today. Mostly just a follow up, but we also had to seek a surgical release. If surgery is the plan for DH's back, we have to have the cardiologists blessing. He gave us a really thorough explanation of DH's risk. Because he's already had one bad experience with anesthesia and required CPR it makes him a high-risk surgical candidate. Even more so because he's sedentary. Surgery will be a stress on his heart and hearts function best when they literally work for a living. His heart doesn't have to do much work because he doesn't move much. Even before this I've been pushing him to get on the exercise bike and to walk more. Doc was pleased to hear that and encouraged him to do more. PT told him the same thing yesterday.

We had a long talk today about the risk. He is willing to accept it and I can't stand in his way. He can't go on with the level of pain he's endured for so long now. We meet with the surgeon on the 12th and are anxious to hear his plan.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Hoping things improve. Possibly the exercise as a requirement for any surgery -- hopefully to get pain relief -- will spur him to do more. The exercises might be painful...if so, other methods...but I see his desire for surgery being a catalyst to get to exercising. It's hard, out of shape & in pain.

But a little more often seems a plan.

Latest posts