Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Plugging along in slo-mo, lol. I've still got so much to do from the storm. Worst part is that only doing an hour a day maybe 3/4 days a week it's taking a while. Too hot to do much more. Eventually it'll be cool enough to work longer. I've got fences and gates that need to be repaired too. Oh, and I need to call somebody to come and patch my roof. No leaks thank goodness - but I've got a few shingles missing from the hurricane. Probably going to pay out of pocket for that.

First Texans pre-season game last night. Unfortunately, the game was called off in the 3rd quarter because of weather. We were behind at that time. No doubt if they had finished the game we woulda won, lol. I'm not too disappointed because it wasn't a full game and it was pre-season. They looked good though!

PT is coming at 11 this morning. It's not going to be the same person we've had previously. Guess we have to break in a new one, lol. Poor gal. Dealing with DH is like dealing with the absent minded professor. He has to be redirected and reminded to focus quite frequently. I'm sure I come across as a grouch because of that. PT is like social hour for him, lol. Nope - it's time to get to work!

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
For two days I was able to wear shoes, not boots, outside. that all changed this morning. Woke up to a huge, LOUD, t-storm. Ditches full again. So much for mowing today. ARGH! I guess the mosquitos will be happy.

Went fishing for a little while with DIL yesterday. We hit our favorite spot 5 minutes from here. Quick to get home if DH needs me. We caught the normal hungry Bluegill. We usually pick the smallish ones and use them for bass bait. Bass hate me! My cork bobbled a few times, then disappeared under water. I wasn't sure if it was a "real" bite or if it was my little bait fish swimming around. It quickly became apparent that it was running deeper and more quickly than my bait fish was capable of so I grabbed my pole and started reeling. It ran, it fought, water cascaded away as a powerful bass broke water and flew into the air turning and thrashing. It breeched one more time with enough power to break my line and swim away. I feel horrible! That beautiful fish is probably swimming around with a hook in it. If it just woulda let me land it, I would've removed the hook and sent it on its way.

Got some coleslaw canned yesterday. Love that stuff! It's more like pickled cabbage I guess. Vinegar, sugar, celery seed and mustard seed - and it stays crispy. Not low carb though. I haven't tried making it with a sugar substitute...not sure I really want to, lol.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
PT today. Yay! It forces DH to do something. However, I've got to say that he's been more dedicated to exercising and working for his mobility lately. He's also losing weight. The one upside to his lack of mobility is that he doesn't make it to the kitchen often to snack, lol.

DIL and I went back to the fishing hole yesterday. I didn't catch the bass that I was after - BUT - I pulled the biggest fish out of there that we've ever caught. It was a really nice catfish. We rarely need to use a net to pull a fish out - but this guy required a net. I debated on inviting him for dinner, but decided to put him back with the hope to meet him again someday.

Need to put out a new round bale today. Ugh - doing it in the mud makes it so much more fun... :rolleyes:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Here ya go!

I made a couple changes just because... First one is that I use bagged cole slaw mix instead of cutting up cabbage and carrots. I also didn't use any onion. Only other thing I did was doubled the vinegar/sugar mix just to be sure I had enough - you can always can any you might have left over. I used two bags of coleslaw mix and it made 4 pints. I thought it would make more, but it's so easy that it won't be a problem to make another batch. My family generally likes a mayonnaise based slaw, but I like this as is. If you prefer the mayonnaise-based dressing you can drain the juice and add your own dressing.

It would be great with fried catfish, lol.

Enjoy!

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
i don't like bland cole-slaw so there needs to be some sweet and some sour to it, but it can also have some mayo added for a more creamy salad. i really like cole-slaw with steak fries and baked fish. i don't need tartar sauce if the slaw is good and i don't need ketchup for the fries if the slaw is good. it's like mushroom gravy - almost goes with everything... :)

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
PT today. Yay! It forces DH to do something. However, I've got to say that he's been more dedicated to exercising and working for his mobility lately. He's also losing weight. The one upside to his lack of mobility is that he doesn't make it to the kitchen often to snack, lol.

so glad to hear of some improvement with DH. :) he gets a kudoes from me. :)

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
I can do without days like today.....ugh.

PT this morning. However, DH was in quite a bit of pain so all they did was stretches. He felt a little better after his session so he urged me to go shopping. I haven't done any shopping for almost 2 weeks. I have some stuff delivered, but I prefer to pick out our produce and any meat we might need. Shame on me for leaving the house. About halfway through my shopping he calls me and tells me he's fallen. Are you injured? I hurt. Where do you hurt? My back. Do you need an ambulance? I don't know. Can you move your feet? Yes. I'm on my way home. I literally walked out of the store and left my half-full cart in the aisle.

I can not lift him. I can only assist him. I get a yoga mat for him to roll over on. His knees have bony growth called Osgood-Schlatter disease in his knees. It causes a bony protrusion that keeps him from being able to take weight to his knees. It looks like this:

1723083782598.png

But his is much more prominent. He needs cusioning to be able to kneel.

So, I get the yoga mat. I bring him a sturdy dining room chair. I get him to roll over and get up on his hands and knees and then he's able to pull himself up with a little help. He's sore as heck!

Definitely hoping tomorrow is a better day.