Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Yes, mainly looking at the buck. Guy is trying to move his entire herd. (I'm not buying his whole herd, lol!) I posted the above pic because that pic with the black doe was the only close up of the buck. What do you think about this gal?

1724813650518.png

flowerbug

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Yes, mainly looking at the buck. Guy is trying to move his entire herd. (I'm not buying his whole herd, lol!) I posted the above pic because that pic with the black doe was the only close up of the buck. What do you think about this gal?

View attachment 26998

looks like aunt Ethel...

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Another buy. Nice deep body. Several yrs old so experience and time for plenty of kidding left. Wish he were closer, I'd sure go shopping!

Bought my first boers in TX. But back then, they were still in quarantine and couldn't move around much. I bought 8 long yrlg does, embryo babes, so could be moved. $1k each was a steal then. Left them at the quarantine ranch to be bred. Then bought 4 Nubian with full blood embryo transplants. Made a separate trip a month later to pick everyone up & trailer home. Yeah, looong drive! But really worth it for that start up. 🤩

Buy that buck & doe....I would!! I'm envious.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
How dare he go out of town!
I know, huh? Might have lost him a sale. I've been tossing around this potential purchase, and I've just about talked myself out of it! I work better with impulse decisions, lol. The buck is quite pricey. I'm sure he's worth every penny, but with the parasite problems we have in this area... Boers are well-known for their LACK of parasite resistance in wet areas. Sounds like a recipe for disaster. I may, however, pick up a doe or three to breed to my Myotonic buck. Myotonics are one of the more parasite resistant breeds. Probably keep on the lookout for another Myotonic buck. I'd like to find one on the larger end of the scale so he can reach my taller does, or I'll be building a ramp.

So, for another twist in the plot I've been researching Savannah goats. They're often referred to as the "white Boer" and are known to be more parasite resistant, great mothers, and have a wonderful rate of gain. DH asked me the downside of Savannah's and my only thought was that they're white. I like color!

I finally finished cutting the part of the tree that split off during the hurricane. FINALLY! It took me overcoming my fear of the bigger chain saw. Mind you - the "bigger" chain saw is still a batter operated one. Not really all that big. But, it got the job done! Now I just have to finish the clean-up. Need to burn the smaller twigs/branches and cut and stack what I'm going to keep. Already picked out a new firepit - just haven't ordered it yet. Might be a Christmas present for DH. He's a firebug, lol!

Need more coffee and need to get out and do chores before it rains.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
You might want to look at a Kiko/Savannah cross. The savannahs have white hair, blackish skin. All you said was true....they're a good goat. Obviously, many have crossed the Boer with Kiko, Myotonic to try for size, growth, instincts, foraging benefits and hopefully some parasite improvement.

Even pricey, if that buck is producing self or better, it might be a buy for breeding season -- then sell. He's handsome! I have 2 main bucks now. 1 full blood, one with a little mix from his mom. His mom had single doeling by my FB this year -- beautiful! I've got some nice doelings from my dairy x with Boer this year, also. Early kidding for 2025, so several will sell come spring.

I'd love to be able to order a buck, just like you do birthday cakes :lol: :lol:

Last edited:

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Boer may have more roman nose but, even than has become less dominant/extreme.

I love a big ol' Roman nose! But you're right - they're not as common as they were some years ago. Owner contacted me today and said he's back in town and free tomorrow afternoon. Guess I'll be headed out there to at least take a look see. From his pics I've identified 4 does I want to look at along with the big guy. Not 100% sure I'll come home with the buck, but possible I'll end up with a doe or 3. Teen girl next door wants to ride along. That's fine with me - company will be nice. Road trip!