Frustratedearthmother's Journaling Journey

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Are you adding meat goats to your dairy herd?
Maybe, lol. I'm going shopping today. Unlikely that I'll come home empty-handed.

Thundery and wet this morning. Rain predicted primarily along the coast. My drive today - primarily along the coast. My trailer is an open livestock type with a canvas cover. Eek! Goats don't like getting wet. Maybe the seller will decide that another day is better for shopping - but if he's game - so am I.

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Oh my goodness....I shouldn't have gone, lol. Shoulda just kept my crazy butt at home. But, he made me an awesome deal on the four goats I came home with. Oops, lol.

Got the buck in the previous pic - but not the black spotted doe with him.

Got a different black spotted goat that had a straighter topline and stronger pasterns.
1725314820245.png

Got the solid red doe also pictured previously.

And a yearling doe. No pic yet.

They've all been with the buck so any and all might be bred. I hope the yearling isn't bred because I'd like to breed her to Hank (myotonic). Trying to move these big guys was zero fun since none of them have been taught to lead. That's going to change! Famacha looks good on all of them, but their haircoats are rough. Introduced them to minerals and they acted like they've never seen them before. Eh.. I expect they'll learn.

Last edited:

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
🤣 you go girl!! Looks pretty good so far....minerals, wormer, they'll smooth right out. Different worm exposure, so, yeah. Quite possibly bred -- that counts. I like this spotted doe better.

Dang, a nice shopping day! :clap

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
These guys haven't been spoiled...they need to learn about treats so that they learn to love me, lol. My original girls will swarm me if they think I have a treat - or just about any other time. These guys have no idea how great life can be. I gotta get some animal crackers I guess, lol.

I've got some pee tests and will test the gals before worming. Can't give Valbazen until I know who may be bred. I also want to pull some blood and get some health testing done before they're allowed to co-mingle.

Mini Horses

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Love you bought enough so they came "with a friend". So much less stressful when moving to new location. Bread! Mine love bread....makes a good pillow for meds, too. 😂 I'm sure you already know.

Most of my Boer are easy to handle...a couple are less enthused with hands on but, don't fight me. Just more stand offish.

Those all look well fed. They do have better forage conversion than our dairy type. The meat to frame ratio is better -- but hard to think butcher looking at those pretty spots! 🥴🤷

frustratedearthmother

Sustainability Master
Reaction score
Love you bought enough so they came "with a friend".
Absolutely! I try to buy more than one anytime I'm goat shopping.

Put some hay out for them and again, like with the minerals, they looked at it like it was something foreign. They had plenty of forage at their old place. I'll bet it won't be long before they figure out that hay is good.

Had nightmares last night that I'd get up this morning and find that they'd all disappeared. In the dream I found them by following the smell of bar-b-que goat! Yikes!

Buck is paying lotsa attention (thats a nice way of putting it) to the red doe this morning. Seller told me he thought she might already be bred - but apparently not.

Going to get them some alfalfa pellets because they're not in love with the feed I have. They eat it, but give me the stink eye, lol.