Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
I'm so glad he likes the quilt! I still have to make another one for us....that one actually went pretty quickly once I got the strips cut. Strip piecing is so much faster.

We want to expand our veggies too....we are thinking of adding some new foods for us to try but I am getting a good veggie cookbook first so I can see some recipes! I love okra....never grown it though. Someday I'll try it cause I really do love it!

We would love to add some fruit trees and berry bushes too but we'll see how everything else goes this year. I am hoping with the move I'll be able to get a garden in this year but we'll see how fast everything gets done.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
So it has flooded, and the rain went, last night the temps dropped, it snowed and the ground is white again. :/

First I want to mention I have been thinking about a signature piece to work on and sell later this year. Still kicking around a couple ideas. While at the box store, I came across these fake stained glass lights for the front of the house. I liked them enough to purchase them right away due to my current work load, not having enough time to make my own.

I brought them home, they look nice enough, but they just don't feel good to me, you know what I mean? I am more able and have the skills needed to make my own, far better not to mention. Do you remember the lamp post I made for my house some years ago? Although I used Mica for the shades, I also placed some stained glass at the bottom so the light would shine down and be pretty.

So I started thinking about it even more, and it just hasn't left me alone. So yesterday evening I made my mind up to make my own, so looked around at some stained glass prices online auction sites. Hmmmmm.........

Than like a ton of bricks it hit me, that guy down the road, Steve, who I had fallen out over my log splitter?! Well I remember clearly that he had some stained glass in his falling down garage. I was kicking around whether to call him or not, I decided I didn't want to re-kindle any form of a relationship, but wanted to do some business and see if he would sell some to me.

So I called him, kinda wasn't feel good about it, his wife answered I asked for Steve, when he got on the phone I asked if he still had some stained glass and if he wanted to sell it? Yes I have piles of it, I asked how much? $30.00 for all of it. Good, I will be over in just a few minutes.

When I arrived he was already piling it outside, I walked up his son who was going back in to get more out. I pulled out the money, handed to Steve. He also gave me a $80 gladstar edge shaper with the glass. WOW!!! I grabbed the stuff made some small talk, and headed out. :weee

P1011634.jpg
P1011633.jpg

P1011632.jpg
P1011631.jpg

During the small talk he said his oldest "gay" son has moved to Washington state to be with his online boy friend. He sure is to do well because he stated he learned a lot of lifes skills from the computer game SIMS. That is a direct quote from him to me.

Steve is also moving somewhere else do to rent in rears and is about to be thrown out. I wouldn't have told any one that, but as I mentioned before Steve is a very raw odd kinda guy. He would often do work for me around the house, things I couldn't get to or needed done. Remember he asked me to loan him money and I wouldn't? I rather put him to work and pay him. On that note, I asked how much how owed, in rears, hes said he was 4 months behind.

I didn't dare ask how he got so far behind, and ended the conversation with " Wish yuns all the luck in the world.

I remember when my rent went into rears, a few times. Those were some tough times when I was going to school, working one 40 hour week job and Rite Aid store part time on the week-ends. It was like I was poor, staying poor, never getting ahead no matter how much of my money I shelled out. I never hid from my landlord as they were very understanding but they I was working and doing all the right things. I would always catch up at tax time. My rent was late in Nov/Dec for four years in a row.:hide

hennypenny9

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
$30 for all of that? Score! My high school offered glass art, and I took two semesters of it. I really loved it, even though I didn't hold the glass cutter right, and had a hard time with deadlines. (I like to get it perfect, no matter how long it takes :he) Anyway, I'm envious! Have fun with your project!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
What life skills would he possibly learn from SIMS?! :th

Awesome score there, MP! :thumbsup

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I know nothing about stained glass. But it sure looks like you got a ton of supplies for 30 bucks. I can't wait to see what you come up with.

Sorry to hear about Steve. Life just gets hard sometimes. :idunno

gina

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
ooooooooo pretty.....bet that would make some interesting lanterns......

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
lorihadams said:
ooooooooo pretty.....bet that would make some interesting lanterns......
That's what I have in mind, I did order some glass as well. I think I will do a few pairs of nice limited edition styles, I also have a few gothic styles I am designing. Something odd and different as if it were from the movie nightmare before xmas. I will most likely make it from mild steel and give it a faux oldish patina with hints of rust.

I have designed a tree of life kinda wall sconce as well as a matching pair of oak branches style. I might make a few low watt style book shelve lanterns as well.

valmom

Crafter
Reaction score
Score! Especially on the grinder!:celebrate

I used to do stained glass when my kids were small and I didn't work as much. I'd love to get back into it.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
A new set of lamps, a set of table lamps, floor lamps, outdoor lamps for your door and 2 lamp post then I will destroy the pattern.

The glass of course was hand picked by me from a local company.

This lamp shade is called the tree of life series, the top will have hand made branches and a arts and crafts middle with a root looking base to sum it up.

I spent a few hours learning to make stained glass today. It isn't hard, just an eye for detail.

You folks are the first to see the working proto type.

Thoughts?

0129001444.jpg

2dream

Flibbertigibbet
Reaction score
You got an awsome deal on all that glass. I paid that much for a lot less than that.

I think your design looks great. Can't wait to see the finished product.