Jason closes his journal... Thanks!! I love you!!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Replacing post with pictures for dial up folks to see and to blabber on about my SS life. I was waiting permission to use the photos, although I did the hoods, I don't own the pictures. I was given permission to use them today.

This home was on the Tour of Homes 2009 and won a silver award for decor/construction.

hood1.jpg
hood1a.jpg

This home went to print and won some awards as well donated the $5 touring fee to a local childrens hospital.

hood3.jpg
hood4.jpg

I like seeing my work in peoples homes, makes me very happy and proud.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Wow!!! The new window is great!!!:clap

I am shocked by the difference in it as well as the temp of that part of the living space.... I will take some pics later as I have a bit of a stomach bug going on, its not to bad, just bad enough o bother me in the evenings for last two days now.

As I tackle the bathroom, originally DW wanted me to do built in, now wants me to do a standing cabinet with shelves. Between me and you I was angry :somad :rant because I had already built the first one and she asked for the new one. So I did the design got the thumbs up and built it in the last couple evenings. I completed it with a English Chessnut finish. I will clear coat it tomorrow evening than I plan to start to finish up the trim/crown molding.

I didn't put in a copper sink in my family bathroom, as the one that was there was fine and no sense in doing extra work. The bathroom in the master bedroom will as will my kitchen. However there are going to be some copper accent pieces and some trim. The baseboard will also have a copper cover with Arts and Crafts style Irises cut out to allow the heat to flow.

The temps aren't dropping as they did this time of year last year, and I am thankful even though I did cut/split extra wood just in case.

Seed catalogs are coming in 1 or 2 a week and so I am going to start planning my garden. Kids are doing well in school and things are going well as work has picked up a little.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
cough.gif

Well the sinus thing is in full swing here, and I tried Frees ginger mix, clears your head thats for sure. I am following the instructions and found that boiling the ginger is my method. I chewed on some today but let me tell you its spicy but I know it will handle those free radicals and boost my system. I find that recipe my uncle gave me to be pretty pungent as it contains a lot of raw garlic :sick so for the evening w/ everything its also green tea. Between the ginger/garlic I smell pretty sweet.

Here is a pic of the new window I installed in the dining room, this would be the wind side of the house.

P1011664.jpg

I put the paneling back up without trimming for the new window. One reason why waste the time/energy when we are going to be dry walling soon any way? Plus the hole I made bigger for the new switches, the paneling was just shattering rather than cut, and I was using a fine toothed blade. I figure the years that it has been up has cause it/glue to become brittle.

Being sick, out in the middle of the woods, I figured I better run into town and get some supplies before the big storm hits. I also took a tarp I had and covered the girls run up so they can get outside as we're expect 12-14 inches of snow in the next 36 hours. Who wants some snow? I will pack a whole box up and ship it flat rate to you. LOL...

P10116t66.jpg

I doubt I will attempt the finishing of the bathroom if I am still ill. I haven't taken a sick day off of work in years, I even worked today. But if this thing doesn't turn around tonight, I will have to take some time off work to let my body heal. I always say I am going to take the day off but never do properly anyway.

I don't like being sick, I guess nobody does, but me, I only get ill a few times a year, or couple times a year. When I am sick I am a big baby and I get on DW nerves. Moaning and groaning will get you nadda around these parts :smack but better yet a smack down for whining and not taking anything over the counter. So I stopped whining verbally and just getting on with it. If it doesn't turn around by Monday I will have to go see Doc to get some help. I will fight it out for now.

I am ready for spring, and I swear on a slice of bread, if that ground hog doesn't see his shadow next year. I am going to shoot him and stew him in my pot with veggies, and eat him. :D

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
You are so funny!! I hope you get over this bug of yours. Chinese mustard always clears my sinuses. But have a box of tissues on hand. Whhoooo weeee!!!

The window looks great.

gina

meriruka

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
The window looks great and I was looking at all the cool stuff in the glass cabinet too.
Hope you feel better......

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
The new window looks GREAT! I can understand on thepanneling thing. The couple that built this place must have had stock in a panneling business. EVERY room has it! YUK! I cant waite to replace it all.

So sorry you are feeling under the weather. Hope you can get over it soon!

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
So it was 0320 when I awoke this morning, only having just gone to bed 4 hours prior, waking to what felt like a bashed in head.

So enough was enough, I went to the medicine cabinet and took some Sudafed that DW had picked up, I popped one down and two Tylenol and went into the living room before I fell down. At about 0500 my sinuses drained, the pressure behind my eyes just left. Though I still feel a little light headed and a bit of vertigo from time to time, I am still keeping up with the ginger/tea because I think they will help. I also am feeling the effects of lack of sleep on top and I will sleep well tonight.

I shut down the shop at a half day today as the storm moves in and schools were let out early. As I mentioned yesterday, I was going to take some time off work, so I took the rest of the day off. I had finished the cabinet to go into the bathroom the other day, just about the time this cold thingie was in my stomach.

I am not a carpenter, so I gave it a college boy try and did it myself. Turned out pretty good and I am pleased with it, the boss says she is pleased as well. That's all I needed to hear, aren't I properly guided husband? :lol:

P1011667.jpg
P1011670.jpg

Just for some interest if you don't like my cabinet I added some pics of my favorite reads, and a water pitcher made by Blenko, Tequilla Sunrise this color is called.

P1011671.jpg
P1011672-1.jpg

If your wondering about the cedar backing at the bottom, well thats because of the moths we have here. Nasty buggers, DW once put a top on the she doesn't wear often and a string had been eaten on. So my thinking was if the towels that are in the back don't get used, they won't get eaten either. This was left over piece from when I lined our closet with cedar.

Thanks for all your well wishes, I hope I get better soon.

Meriruka, you might know what your looking at in that glass cabinet in the dining room. Its years of auctions/yard sale adventures for glass re-sellers/collectors. DW is from England and couldn't work when she first moved here, so she studied glass items to re-sell on ebay for income. She is really good at glass stuff and we have a few pieces that I found as well. During preview of auctions, kids in tow, you could watch me feel glass stuff with my hands, eyes closed, feeling for imperfections. I became rather good, but DW is the champ glass spotter around these parts.

I miss going to auctions, what fun it is when you know what your bidding on... I got carried away once when we got a Fenton water decanter and 12 water glasses for 110.00. I was so excited I jumped up right after the auction closed and yelled YES!!! :weee :clap

Oh how the eyes gazed upon me by the other people in the room after I jumped/yelled. :hide We re-sold that lot and made some big bucks on ebay.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Looks great! Smart idea with the cedar....One can never go wrong, useing cedar in storage areas..even if its just a bit.

modern_pioneer

Mountain Man
Reaction score
Power is out, for almost an hour now, started back up generator and have power to house. Dial up is fine, hence posting...

Its a white out right now, has been for a couple hours. Snow plow hasn't been past yet, 5 new inches still standing.

If your running a puter on a generator you have to go through a 12 volt power pack to avoid power spikes which leads to hardware failure.

Two fires going again, wood stove/fireplace, we played a short game of cards, and kids went to bed. Its been warm tonight, running fridge/freezers/lamps/nightlights/and stuff off the generator.

Being SS has a lot of benefits, prepared would be my number one benefit.

Debbie mention today friday/payday/storm thats why I went into town yesterday, some drivers are nutters....