JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
24 Nov 09

Ohhh, my aching back!:( Got up this morning late...like, 8 am!!!
I should have just stayed in bed...and let this day go by. But, Nooooooooooooooooo, I HAD to get up! LOL
Got my coffee...and do my "morning things" and head to the laundry room. Get a load of wash going...and start through my E mails. Then, I hear it....water backing up. NO NO NO!!! I run outside, and yep, the septic is backed up....AGAIN! UGH!! :barnie
So, I drag out the snake....and start cranking...and cranking...and cranking. About 40 minutes into it, my phone rings... (me) Hello??
(My neighbor) "Have I ever told you how great of a friend you are, and how much I appreciate it?" At this point, she is at work, and I already know where she is going with this. So, I say " When will the girls be ready?" Her 2 daughters missed the bus...AGAIN! This is the 3rd time this year. We live about 5 minutes from one school...and 15 from the other. She said they would be ready in a few minutes. So, I tell her....call them and tell them to waite by my truck...I will be out in a few. So, I come inside, get cleaned up, and head out to take them to school. I gave them an earfull the whole trip into town. Maybe they will try harder, knowing if I have to take them again, they get to listen to ME! :rant
On my way home, I stopped at the Dollar Store, and picked up a few more loaf pans. Mine seemd to have dissapeared. Back in the truck, on my way home. I stop at the barn, and feed the sheep...and Falcor. The make a quick jaunt to the coops. All the poultry fed...watered...back to the house. I HAVE to get that pipe cleared out. I worked on it for at least 3 hours....could NOT get it cleared. So, I walked away...cussing...but I walked away. :somad Hubby can work on it when he gets up. Its now almost 1 pm. I have to run the water hoses to the animals. Now, my barn is almost 300 ft away from the house....so...it takes SEVERAL hoses to get water to the sheep. They have 2 water stations, both need filling.I lug 4 hoses out....get the sheep water finished..and let April out from her stall. ( she has to eat alone, so she gets enough) Now I have to drag those same hoses to the chicken coops....300 ft back to the house...change around a few hoses, then drag them about 150 ft to the coops. ( COME ON LOTTERY!!!) I really need to get water run to these animal barns.First the small coop. They have a 25 gallon barrell...easy...get it filled...clean water pans from 4 pens, fill feeders...off to the ducks. Get thier tub filled...a 50 gallon trough...then off to the chickens. They have a 55 gallon barrell. As its filling...I clean and fill 4 waterers and feed buckets...back to the house...turn off the water...and start rolling up the hoses. Now its 2:30. Hubby will be getting up soon...so I need to get his coffee made, and get him something to eat...and let him know he needs to work on the septic. After he is awake, fed and juiced up on coffee....we head back out to the septic....FINALLY get it cleared...and flowing. :/ Come inside, get cleaned up..and have to get supper going. Its now 4 pm....Hubby leaves at 6pm. Tonight was an easy meal...goulash! LOL Hubby fed....I have to go close the barn, and coops..expecting rain tonight. Back to the barn...Get it closed up...and turn around...there is Pearl. the new rescued Ewe. She is wanting loving...so I MUST oblige! :love I sit on the barn stoop, and pet her for a bit, and she is leaning into me more and more. Before I know it, I am on my back, with Falcor in my face...I can tell he is laughing at me. OK, im done here...so off to the coops. Throw some scratch...close the doors...gather eggs, and back to the house. Everyone is tucked in for the night. :cool: 5:30...I sit and chat with hubby for a few minutes, while he gets ready for work. He leaves about 6 pm...and I head to the kitchen to clean up from supper. Get the dishes done...and make a pan of fudge, no nuts. Run down and do another load of wash...and back to the kitchen. I got 4 dozen cookies baked, and 2 loaves of banana nut bread ready to come out of the oven. The kitchen is cleaned...the last of the laundry is in the dryer....and I am POOPED!:th As soon as the bread is out, and on a cooling rack I will cover it with a cloth, and drop into bed! Tomorrow I need to bake pies...

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
1 Dec 09

Wow, December already! :/ Where has this year gone!?? I am slowly getting things done around here, getting ready for " the big snow" everyone keeps talking about. Just like last year... " we are DUE for a Big snow" Well, we didnt get it last year..and I have been slacking...so I am sure we will get it this year. Just because I am not ready...yet.
Can you believe...we are still waiting on the septic to be put in? Darned rain!! :rant I got a call from the contractor this evening...seems it will be $2,000.00 MORE than we thought. :th Looks like a very slim pickins this year for Christmas. He said MAYBE this week...or next, depending on the weather. UGH!!!
Ohhhh, good news tho! Hubby got called back from where he was layed off! AND....they gave him a 50 cent raise!!:bow Thank you GOD!! Shouldn't take long to drag ourselves out of this financial hole we are in...I hope! Funny thing was...his first day back, his boss asked if he was going to wear "street clothes" or go back to wearing the company "uniform" Well, of course hubby said uniforms...no need to ruin HIS clothes...so his boss said, " great, they are hanging in the back" They never turned them back in!! Guess they "knew" he would come back. Oh, and he regained all his seniority....just like he never was layed off. We have been blessed!!
Today I had to get a brooder set up...my neighbors BF asked me to incubate eggs for him. I tried to talk him out of hatching this late...but he really wanted new layers for spring. I agreed...and he brought me 52 eggs!! UGH! They are due to hatch the 2nd, but 7 hatched out already. He said I was welcome to as many as I wanted...but I am not sure I want them. I have my own hatch...due the 12th. Old English Bantams, self blues...and bantam showgirls. :rolleyes: Not too sure what I will do with them..they were a gift from a dear friend. :love
Oh!!! And....my German Owl Pigeons...hatched out 2 babies. :love They are the UGLIEST little creatures....but its great to watch momma and daddy share the nest duty. Sweet little birds..I hope they make it. I have never had pigeons...so I just hope I am offering the right feeds. ( layer crumbles, cracked corn, scratch) I was told the parents will regurgitate a milky substance for the babies. :fl
We were able to get one of the Christmas trees up the other night....one more to go! We put one in the living room..and one in the family room. ( in the basement) Most of the outside lights are up...just have the nativity to get out, then we are done! Whew! All the nieces and nephews...and THIER kids will be here on the 12th. I can't waite to see thier faces light up, when we turn them on.
So, here it is....December 1st....the new year will be upon us before we know it.

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
That's great news for your hubby!!

I'd love to see pics of the new babies. I don't think I've evers saw baby pigeons before.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will have to see what I can do to get pics. The parents sit pretty tight on the nest...and the lighting isnt the best in there. Let me see...if we get a sunny day, I will get some. But, be prepared...they sure are UGLY little critters! LOL

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks Kel. We were pretty worried about makeing it through the winter.....I mean, we have food....wood for heat and cooking....oil lamps and candles for light...but truck payment, mortgage, insurance....those things...It sure is a burden lifted....for now. Of course...;one never knows when it could happen again! So, we are going to double pay bills, each month, ONE of them gets a double....to get some payed off. We will still have to tighten the belt a little...but the ease in mind knowing some are gettin payed off early....whew!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Well....here they are...about a week old. Not a great pic...but momma and daddy were none too happy me trying to get this shot. I didnt want to upset them...so..here they are..German Owl Pigeon babies.
99_pigeonbabies.jpg

Not much to look at...yet...but wow will they be pretty!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I cant waite til they leave the nest! They are baout the soze of a small mouse right now...and..well..shhhh, dont tell them, but they are U G L Y ! :/

delia_peterson

Covered in Compost
Reaction score
I won't tell tell them, lol! But kinda like "so ugly they are cute",right?:gig "A face only a Mother could love".:lol: Sorry, I had too much caffeine this evening.