JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Oh, I totally agree....I think we are supposed to get some sunshine tomorrow. If so, I will try to get a better pic. Thier short stubby beaks are...well....short and stubby! :lol: I can't waite untill they open thier eyes....and get feathers! LOL

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
7 Dec 09
Today is not a good day. First I woke to snow. NOT good. We are supposed to get the new septic put in...and now..well...we can't! UGH! Its one excuse after another with this thing.
I looked out to see the snow..and looked at the sheep....there was Falcor...BLOODY!!! I throw on my boots...and head out there...I cant see Sonny...my ram. I get to the barn, and in the corner is Sonny....bloody...scared...just stareing. Falcor ran in behind me trying to get to Sonny. My poor Sonny is bloody...and torn. I got the bucket of warm water...and tried to rinse as much blood off as possible...his right ear is torn...his left horn is torn at the base...and his mouth is bleeding. I gave him his grains...he tried to eat ... but couldnt. The sheep are in the barn...Falcor is in the pasture...waiting to be picked up this evening by the original owner. I Emailed her, and explained to her he had to go, TODAY! It was hard for me to NOT want to shoot the dog...I love him...but I cant have a guardian dog...that hurts or kills what he should be guarding! So, I will waite untill next spring...and look for a puppy. I am so sad....upset....dissapointed. Falcor will go back to his original owner...and I will have to guard my sheep, like a good sheppard!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I am so sorry about your sheep. Dogs seem to be an issue around here the past week. I hope Sonny is on the mend. :hugs

gina

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I think Sonny will be OK. I will head out there in a few to check on him again. I just feel so bad....I trusted that dog.

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
broken horn at the base is nasty. they scream bloody murder when you have to take it off. it hurts yes, but it must be taken off if it is torn badly. make sure you have blood stop powder on hand for this, they bleed terrible. My one goat got a broken horn at the base, 3/4 way thru and taking it off was horrible! The screams and noise, get ear plugs...LOL..and then pack it with blood stop til it does stop. It will bleed tons and tons but will stop if packed right.

hope it doesn't come to this for you.

YES so glad the dog is gone. You tried. Remember a guard pup must be raised from the immediate beginning to be a true flock protector.

You just rid of a big bunch of trouble! Glad for you!!!!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I dont think he will lose the horn. Actually...after I got it all cleaned up, or mostly cleaned up with the help of my " very city boy" son....there is a small tear at the base of the horn. I am more worried about the hunk of ear hanging off...and the fact that he is still spitting out blood. I am thinking he must have torn the inside of his lip...but I cant get in there and really look at it. I was able to get some feed to him..and he ate. So, thats good! It was sweet feed..and he just loves it. It took a little longer than usual...but at least he was able to eat. I am headed back out there in a few to spray his ear with wound kote. It doesnt seem to want to stop bleeding...even in the cold. My poor poor baby...I have failed them. :(

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Bite your tongue.. This was not your fault. Just as it was not my fault my dog killed my rabbit the other day. Things happen. This will be a learning experience for you.

Put your efforts into Sonny. It will make you and he both feel better.

Hugs, gina

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
No, justusnak, you didn't fail him...these things happen to even the most vigilant farmer. I'm sorry you had to get rid of your dog. :(

Maybe you could swipe a little Ambusol inside your sheeple's mouth to relieve the pain. If you can get him to hold still, I'd wrap a pressure bandage around that ear....it may need protection from getting bumped for a few days.

So, so sorry! :hugs

ETA: Would you feel comfortable posting some pics of your ram's injuries on my SHEEP thread, just? It would sure be an education for us with sheep as to what to expect with canine inflicted injuries. It sounds like he grabbed him by the head, mainly. Am wondering if a yote would leave the same kind of injuries around the head.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I will try to get pics tomorrow. If he lets me near him. After holding him down to clean the wounds...he is a little scared of me. I just feel so bad......