JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
If you don't see him drink...you have to hydrate him.
Either do it yourself or call the vet back because dehydration will hurt him far worse than no food for a day or 2.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
How is Sonny boy this morning?

I hope you have been able to get some food i& water nto the poor guy!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I took out some lamb milk replacer this morning..he turned his nose up at it.. :/ So, I put him in a stall....and gave him water, grain, and hay. He nibbled at the grain...but I could tell it was painfull. He was able to eat about a half of a cup. He sipped a little water....and went to the hay..and tried to eat some. I dont think he got much in him tho. I gave him his shot...and just watched him for a while. He did try to sip the water...but jeesh, the poor guy's mouth is just so sore.
At least the barn cats appreciated the milk replacer!
I will go out later, and try again...see how he is doing. I measured his water...and will go see how much he actually drinks. Thanks everyone.

Dace

Revolution in Progress
Reaction score
Can you get some electrolyte into him? I don't have real sheep or goats,so I don't know if that is appropriate but I would think it would be helpful if he is only drinking a little.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I am trying to get a hold of my son..he is planning to come out this morning. I will have him pick up some electrolytes...and yogurt for me. At least Sonny is trying to eat and drink....thats a good sign...right?? I can't get into town right now...its snowing...UGH! My son will drive in anything tho, crazy kid!

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
At this point I would call the vet back out and ask for some fluids to be injected. My D1 (vet tech) usually keeps a bag of ringer's lactate (saline solution) for just such occasions. She puts it under the skin and the animal will absorb it. I don't know sheep specifics but he needs to be getting fluids somehow and right away.

lorihadams

Always doing laundry
Reaction score
Yeah, I don't know anything about sheep but I would definitely worry about dehydration. Can you get anything in him with a syringe?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
First let me say.....thanks to everyone for thier advice, and suggestions for Sonny Boy. I went out this morning, and gave him his shot. Now....Im not a shot giver, normally...and he is not one to let me give one...usually. I got him in his stall....got the shot ready..and he just leaned into the corner...braceing for the shot. I knew then and there....he was not feeling good at all. Gave him some feed...hay, and water...and just watched. He licked about a cup of grains....and tried to eat hay...then walked away. He sniffed the water and just drooled. :( I have been out there several times checking on him...trying to get him to drink..he just looked at me. :(
So...a few minutes ago..I went out...again to break the ice ( its a whopping 20 degrees and very windy here today) Took more water to Sonny...he walked over..and put his head down in the bucket. I waited....holding my breath....then, I heard it...slurp, slurp!! He is drinking!! :weee He even chased pearl away from "his" water! I quickly gave him some more grains..he licked up a few bites...and went back to the water. He just may be OK. :fl Thanks to everyones prayers....and thanks to God...he is looking better!!!

big brown horse

Hoof In Mouth
Reaction score
justusnak said:
First let me say.....thanks to everyone for thier advice, and suggestions for Sonny Boy. I went out this morning, and gave him his shot. Now....Im not a shot giver, normally...and he is not one to let me give one...usually. I got him in his stall....got the shot ready..and he just leaned into the corner...braceing for the shot. I knew then and there....he was not feeling good at all. Gave him some feed...hay, and water...and just watched. He licked about a cup of grains....and tried to eat hay...then walked away. He sniffed the water and just drooled. :( I have been out there several times checking on him...trying to get him to drink..he just looked at me. :(
So...a few minutes ago..I went out...again to break the ice ( its a whopping 20 degrees and very windy here today) Took more water to Sonny...he walked over..and put his head down in the bucket. I waited....holding my breath....then, I heard it...slurp, slurp!! He is drinking!! :weee He even chased pearl away from "his" water! I quickly gave him some more grains..he licked up a few bites...and went back to the water. He just may be OK. :fl Thanks to everyones prayers....and thanks to God...he is looking better!!!
:woot :clap :clap :clap :ya :weee

I was afraid to look at this post, but I'm so glad I did! Whew!! That is a great sign!!