JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
9 Dec. 09

Sonny looks so sad. His face is swollen...he is drooling...and wont eat. I called the vet out...I felt I had no choice. He gave Sonny an anti inflamitory shot...penicillan..and..CDT. He examined Sonnys mouth..and said the jaw is not broken..but definately sore. Sonny would not eat today...and I have yet to see him drink. My vet informed me that with these type of facial injuries...some make it, some dont. :hit The vet left me with injections for Sonny for the next 4 days. for Swelling and penicillan. PLEASE....say a little prayer, he makes it. I just can't lose my ram!!

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Thanks BBH....I do too. I bottle fed him as a baby....he cuddles with me...( even tho I shouldn't let him) I just love him.

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
I would try to cook him up some sweetened oatmeal or cornmeal mush and get it down his throat with maybe a big old spoon or a turkey baster.

Since you fed him as a baby that may make it easier. Sometimes when they get down like that with infection and injury they get depressed and the depression will kill and animal faster than the injury will.

You might do the same with a little Gatorade or other electrolyte solution. Another possibility is a shot of steroids. That will make most animals get the munchies big time.

I hope things work out. You keep us posted now ... you know how we all worry. :hugs

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Farmfresh said:
I would try to cook him up some sweetened oatmeal or cornmeal mush and get it down his throat with maybe a big old spoon or a turkey baster.

Since you fed him as a baby that may make it easier. Sometimes when they get down like that with infection and injury they get depressed and the depression will kill and animal faster than the injury will.

You might do the same with a little Gatorade or other electrolyte solution. Another possibility is a shot of steroids. That will make most animals get the munchies big time.

I hope things work out. You keep us posted now ... you know how we all worry. :hugs
Thanks FF...I will try anything at this point!! The gal I got them from said to give him yogurt. I will go get some tomorrow. She said her vet told her to do this with April...when she had the broken jaw. It worked, April is alive and well. I was thinking also...maybe some sheep milk replacer?? I bought a big old bucket of that when I got him, and didnt use it all...maybe he will drink that if its warm? Im gonna give it a try too. I just have to get him to eat! Its not that he doesnt want to eat...he runs to the feed bowl when I put in the sweet feed...but his mouth hurts too much to try. :(

Farmfresh

City Biddy
Reaction score
My sissy used the warm sweet oatmeal to keep an orphaned foal alive. It worked wonders. You could mix the yogurt or the milk replacer right in.

All you need for the cornmeal mush is water and cornmeal and a little salt and sugar.

2 cups boiling water to 1 cup cornmeal

Make the oatmeal like you normally would just thinner.

Good luck.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Sorry, Just! :( Prayers for Sonny sent skyward..... :bow Did the vet suggest any methods of keeping him well-hydrated?

Maybe a heat lamp for comfort and warmth, some UP~ ACV and molasses drench in some warm water? Good healing tonic and could be soothing to his sore throat/muscles.