JUSTUSNAK...Summer coming to an end!?

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
Awww, Bee. They will. From what I hear..when they are really close to lambing....they get really lovey dovey. Autumn seems to be pretty close to delivery...at least the vet said I will be haveing a winter baby. :idunno She is coming around me more...and wanting me to rub her back, and sides. I remember those days...wanting my back rubbed when I was preggers. LOL
Sonny was a bottle baby...so he will always be close to me. As a matter of fact...ALL of my Shetlands were bottle babies. It really makes a difference. I am going to bed...so I can get up early, and go see my Sonny Boy. I dont want to go out there now, its 14 degrees..and I am hopeing they are all cuddled down in the straw, warm. If I go out there, they will all get up wanting food. :/ Tomorrow I will have to haul hot water...to thaw thier pails. UGH! Come on warmer weather!

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
:weee

glad he is on the improve....sounds like his recovery is moving forward.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Just, do you have electric to your sheep barn? If you do, a great investment for around $37 is a heated 5 gal. bucket.

I didn't have electric to my sheds,as they are on the other side of the yard. I strung electric extension cords along my fenceline, up in my trees and then into my sheds. This allowed me to plug in my dog fence in the middle of the yard (in my trees) and my heated buckets near the sheds and pens.

These buckets have a compartment in the bottom in which to store the cords in the warm months and the cord has a metal coil around it so they can't nibble it.

I couldn't make it without my heated buckets! :)

They last for years and are low and more squat than your typical 5 gal bucket, so they are just the right size for sheeples and big dogs. I also place cement blocks beside the buckets so the chooks can step up and drink from the water when their pan is frozen. I may even eliminate the chicken's water altogether this winter and let them drink from the dog's bucket all winter.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I dont have electric....I sooo wish I did! Right now all of our chords are being used for christmas lights. :/ I was thinking to go buy a few more today....I need about 200 feet. I am going to get a stock tank heater..and do that for them. For the chickens I made heaters for each pen...with cookie tins and lights. They work great! Even in this 16 degree weather. ;) So, once I get the sheeps waterers heated, I will be OK..I think.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I went out this morning to feed the sheepies...and give Sony his shot.......feed down, hay thrown...now to get Sonny. He has a bit more energy this morning...and SOoooo strong! I was able to finally wrestle him...up against the wall..and get the shot into him. He is drinking water great!He is still haveing a hard time with eating...oh, and the yogurt....no go. He wont touch it! I am going to mix some oats with molasses....see if he can get that in him. He tries to eat...but his mouth is just sore. He was out in the sunshine this afternoon....following Autumn around. ( It must be a guy thing, no matter how bad you feel...you want "it" " :/
Ran into town and got the water heater for thier trough...and 2- 100 ft extension chords. Hubby doesnt think they will reach...I will see in a few. Right now my hands are burning from breaking ice with a 3 pound sledge hammer. :rolleyes: I will get it hooked up, before dark....and hope my chords reach!

DrakeMaiden

Sourdough Slave
Reaction score
Too bad the yogurt didn't work, but it sounds like he's doing a whole lot better anyway. :)