PamsPride's Journal-Free Kindle Downloads!

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Your mom sounds lovely! How nice! :) So glad you had a great Thanksgiving Day, PP!

I'd like to hear about your elderberry elixir also.....recipe? Desired results?

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Wow Pam, I googled Elderberry elixir and I am amazed. Lots of interesting facts, recipes and even some info about it being used against swine flu.

Have you used this before? If so do you have a favorite recipe? Syrup or tincture??

Inquiring minds want to know???

gina

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
http://purecajunsunshine.blogspot.com/2009/05/everything-you-ever-wanted-to-know.html

This is the recipe I used....just keep scrolling it is way down there! LOL!
This is the first time I have made it. I bought some from the health food store and it cost me $40 for 2 bottles but I figured one trip the doctor would cost me more than that. Then a couple at church gave me two gallons of elderberries.
I have given it to the baby twice...the elderberry elixir from the health food store that is specifically for her age. She was kind of snotty and congested at night. It never developed into anything more and now she is completely fine. That was like last week sometime.
I gave my 12 yo some this evening. He was not feeling well at church this morning and you could definetly tell he was tired and he had a sore throat...you could hear it when he talked. He came home from church and took a nap...he was to tired to go to soccer today. It is VERY VERY unusually for my kids to be sick, tired, or just generally not feeling well...let alone sick sick. I gave him a teaspoon of my homemade elixir when he got up and he was completely fine by the time he went to bed this evening.
My 10 yo took a teaspoon of it at the same time...he didn't want to be left out and since I said the elderberries definetly needed sugar to make it go down he definetly had to try it just to see if it was really as bad as I said it tasted...but he was feeling fine. I found out AFTER church that the lady who was in the nursery with MY baby that her WHOLE family was at home because they were to sick to come to church and that they were ALL on antibotics and they had to cancel their Thanksgiving dinner because they were to sick to have it! Yep! That sure was nice of her to tell me that AFTER I put my baby in with her! And my baby girl actually stayed in the nursery the whole time today...for the second time ever!! Of course this is only like the 5th or 6th time I have tried putting her in! LOL!
Two gallons of elderberries really did make a lot of the elixir! I think I ended up with 10 pints and one jelly jar full.

This is kind of how my recipe went.....Have DH complain that the 2 gallons of now thawed out elderberries are in the fridge for several days....DH has a day off from work so he decides he will start to juice the berries to help me get started on them....you know because I did not get to it fast enough to suit him....THEN get online and actually READ the instructions on how to make the elixir once DH is halfway through juicing the berries...then put everything into the biggest stock pot I have....juice, berries left in bag, and pulp stuff in the juicer....fill the rest of the pot up with water....let is simmer all night until it is half what it started out as....let it cool....then decide it is better off sitting in the fridge because you do not feel like canning it yet...have a child not feel good so you don't go to soccer and decide now will be a good time to can them....Have DH wash all of the canning jars :lol: ...strain out all of the stuff and feed that to the chickens....add a 5 pound bag of sugar...after all we didn't measure anything the first time why should we start measuring now....then hot water bath can it all up! Yep! That is MY recipe!!

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Sounds good to me. There have been time I did not want to can and ended up loosing the goodies. At least you got it done. When I googled the info on the elixir I found this link to a blog on a woman in NM. I have read a bit about her and some of her other stuff. Very interesting. I have no idea if elderberries even grow in Ca. but I may spring for some pre made stuff at the health food store. Just to have on hand.

thanks for sharing

gina

These are the links I was reading.

http://bearmedicineherbals.com/?page_id=184

http://bearmedicineherbals.com/?p=66

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
Thanks for the link. Reading through the site the lady seems a LITTLE out there! LOL!
But, it seems there is still some good information on herbs that can be found there.

TanksHill

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
I thought the same thing. Most of her post on the blog are very old. But the herbal info seems good.

Everything with a grain of salt!!!

gina