Pens(slightly political)

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
This has been on my mind for days, so I am finally gonna rant a bit. The other day I was watching the news about the president signing the historical health care reform(dont worry, not a health care rant). He used 23 pens to sign this into effect. The pens he used were very fancy, costing probably in excess of $100 each. Thats $2300+ to sign some papers. Thats almost 2 months wages for me. Thats 4+ months wages for a minimum wager. These pens will then be given out as gifts to various deserving folks as souveniers. Man, if I was president, I'd get a dollar pack of bic pens, and sign the whole dang thin with one pen. Thereby saving the taxpayer over 2299 dollars! Plus, I'd use the pen till it ran out of ink! The give it out as a souviner, complete with all the chew marks on the end where I worried about trying to help Americans get by. Now thats a souviner!!!!

tommywalnuts

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Just for giiggles(or lack there of), I just looked up the pen he used. $125.00!!!!! I think I'll get one, just send bill to 2600 Pennsylvania Avenue. Sheesh, no wonder our country is in debt to our eyeballs.

justusnak

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
We watched that as well. I was asking hubby...WHY!?? Jeesh, what a waste!! $125.00 EACH!?? :th

Jamsoundsgood

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I'm sure the pens all come in beautiful, nice, engraved cases as well.

Wifezilla

Low-Carb Queen - RIP: 1963-2021
Reaction score
I would have given him pens to save the taxpayers. I could have written his name on them with a sharpie. Has he never heard of a bic?

Sunny

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
Oh my gosh.. I cant believe that. I havent even spent that much money on pens for the last 10 years.. Maybe longer than that..

And the government cant figure out why our country is broke..

Hmmmm... I wonder....

Is it that hard to figure out..

:th :he

dacjohns

Our Frustrated Curmudgeon
Reaction score
No wonder my Army retired pay is less. No cost of living increase but an increase in taxes.

rebecca100

Almost Self-Reliant
Reaction score
I could see using 23 expensive pens to do something "historic". I really can, now put the pens on e-bay and send the profits back to help the American people who paid for them in the first place!

bibliophile birds

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
rebecca100 said:
I could see using 23 expensive pens to do something "historic". I really can, now put the pens on e-bay and send the profits back to help the American people who paid for them in the first place!
ohh, great suggestion. i'm sure those would have brought in a nice chunk of change too!

we'd all actually be better off if everyone had a fancy fountain pen. you know, the kind you have to refill with actual ink... they cost you less over their lifetime and are more environmentally friendly. and, if you are SS, i'm sure you could find a way to make your own ink! DOWN WITH DISPOSABLE PENS!!

but anyway, yes, $2300 is a lot of money to spend on pens.