Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Who ever heard of a skinny brahma?

Maybe the person you got the light brahmas from didn't realize the Light is a reference to color, not body weight? :D

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
you are an animal sanctuary aren't you?
LOL
your numbers are growing.

it always amazes me when people give away chickens. chickens are a great asset on property. you can eat them and get eggs...hmm....they don't realize they are giving away survival and key items in life, food....hmm....

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
FarmerChick said:
it always amazes me when people give away chickens. chickens are a great asset on property. you can eat them and get eggs...hmm....they don't realize they are giving away survival and key items in life, food....hmm....
FC, some people raise chickens that don't have them for meat......
There are lots of reasons to give away chickens. Without stealing QA's journal here... sometimes people are afraid of chickens and can't understand why someone would actually like them. So you give them some friendly ones, they overcome their fear... and the next time they buy chickens from you. ;)

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Yeah....my boys think they are loud and smell bad...say they don't like them. But they sure gobble up those eggs just fine and they enjoy watching their antics! I just don't see them growing up and saying, "Gee, I would really like some chickens of my own!" :lol:

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Beekissed said:
Yeah....my boys think they are loud and smell bad...say they don't like them. But they sure gobble up those eggs just fine and they enjoy watching their antics! I just don't see them growing up and saying, "Gee, I would really like some chickens of my own!" :lol:
BK - that is my sil! :D

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
These chickens were my cousins chickens, the one who's house was falling in and my mom had the kids?? She had a flock of 19. With all the stress of her house falling in, she didn't always remember to feed them, we don't think. Plus I found out she only fed them chick starter for 2 weeks and then it was straight to layer! They had never had grower or scratch before!

The chickens were given to my mom as payment for keeping the kids for as long as she did. My mom didn't turn it way, of course LOL, and since she knew I was looking to expand my breeding flock of LB's and that I need a good LB Roo, she offered me the rooster and first pick of the hens.

I have never felt so greedy in all my life! I felt like a total heel taking this chickens from my mom. I promised to take it in trade, as come spring when I have some chicks hatch I am going to give my mom some hens from the hatchlings to expand her flock with. She kept telling me not to worry about it, and kept trying to push ALL of the best hens on me. I took 8 hens, 4 that I knew I could use for my breeding project, and 4 that would just make nice layers (once they are fattened up!) Mom calls the next day and says, "You left a few of the nicer hens here, do you want to trade out?" I said no. I can't take all of the best hens, after all, they were given to my mom coop and all, and I feel she deserves it after all she has put up with.

Animal sanctuary? I guess I am in a way. I can't stand to see anything suffer or neglected, and I am teaching my kids to be the same way. BUT I am not an animal rights activist. I firmly believe PEOPLE come first, and then after the people, the animals have some rights, but they do not have the right to be more important than human life.

Did I tell ya'll my 9 year old daughter rescued a puppy yesterday? Well, she did in a way, but in a way, it was an early xmas gift.

For her 8th birthday a local friend had given her a lab pup for her birthday. Someone stole him right out of our yard. Yesterday our local dog warden told us he had a litter of lab pups down at the pound. We took her down there and he told her to choose the one she liked. She picked a male pup that looks just like her Shadow who was taken. He's 8 weeks old. We asked the warden how much for the adoption, and he said just go, and he looked at DD and said, "Merry Christmas." I've never seen my daughter wrap someone up in a hug the way she did him! He gave each of the kids a puppy coloring book and he gave DD a DVD on how to train your puppy.

You know she has him in her room and is working on paper training him already?! LOL She laid newspaper down for him so he could sleep in her room and she said when she got up this morning he had poo'd 3 times and peed once on the paper. She changed out that paper for fresh and took Shadow (yup, she gave him the same name as the first) outside to go potty. She is pleased as punch!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
A chicken rescue and puppy rescue in one post! ;)

That is a heart-warming tale, QA! How nice that the warden gifted the puppy to you!

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Yes except no pet is free. LOL Now we have the responsibility for feeding, shots, collar, etc.

I started working on a small blanket and matching toy for her puppy. She asked if Santa would bring her puppy a small gift. :) So mom's on it. :D

Course that means DS2 will need a blankie and catnip toys for his kitten wrapped and under the tree, too. Good thing I have some catnip tucked back!

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
So what is the animal count now??

Awww...a cute little puppy!