Quail_Antwerp: Words from the Barnyard...

tfpets

Lovin' The Homestead
Reaction score
I love your ferret information - the pointers are so helpful, and I totally agree with your practice of rescue over pet store purchases, to discourage indiscriminate pet ownership, etc....Even here there are abandoned ferrets needing homes, but they are not available in shelters. They find homes through private parties.

The first time I ever saw a Ferret was in a pet store in Wyoming, they are adorable. I could see why its easy to just walk in and grab one and take it home! They didnt cost much, and they're soooo cute! Here in California, they arent legal yet, There are a number of organizations lobbying to have domestic ferrets legalized here. The pet stores already sell all of the appropriate supplies for their care! They have several lines of Ferret food, bedding, toys, healthy treats, etc..Hopefully it will happen soon.

Thanks for posting about ferret care.

Tina/tfpets

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
The chickerdoodles are doing wonderfully!! I will have to try to remember to get recent pics of them tomorrow. Her Royal Highness Elizabeth popped herself over the run today and into the bantam run. She was helping herself to their breakfast! LOL it was quite funny.

I have had no problems with them coming out in the snow. They (except her Royal Highness this morning) patiently wait at their gate for me to come open it up and let them out. Then they very diligently go back into their pen and tuck themselves into bed and wait for me to come tell them good night. They still squawk at me if I try to pat them, but they are getting more used to me now.
:lol: :gig :lol: :gig

That is sooo funny about Elizabeth just helping herself. She would go into the barn and help herself here too.

The five of them used to sit at the laundry/mud room slider door and wait for me to open it so they could get out. But as soon as that door was open, Elizabeth and Monroe were always the first out! :D

Elizabeth was starting to squat the day you adopted them. She and Louisa (and the boys) will be 21 weeks old this Thursday. Any signs of further development in the egg laying area?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
Chickerdoodles are doing great! Today, when it was bedtime, Monroe decided he was going to bed in the coop with the bantams!! My BLRW and Lt Brahmas are in there, too so there are other standard breeds in there. I decided he should have her Royal Highness with him, and then just ended up putting all five of them in there. So they are in the coop with the other chickerdoodles and were clucking happily.

I have 9 light brahmas coming later this week. They are six months old. One roo and nine hens. I am really excited! That will give me 11 hens and 2 roos of Lt Brahmas. The current roo I have has some knee issues which prevents him from being able to get busy with the girls. I should cull him, but I can't bring myself to do it. He's become a pet. Tsk tsk I know.

We finished processing our deer today. Got a freezer full of meat!

Gotta go, cooking stuff pork chops for dinner and have bread in the oven.

MorelCabin

Quilting Extraordinaire
Reaction score
Hey Quail,
Just popping in to say hi! I barely get to talk to you anymore...but I do rad your posts! Sounds like all is well and good at your place...you are so blessed! I love brahmas..lucky girl!

keljonma

Epicurean Goddess
Reaction score
Quail_Antwerp said:
Chickerdoodles are doing great! Today, when it was bedtime, Monroe decided he was going to bed in the coop with the bantams!! My BLRW and Lt Brahmas are in there, too so there are other standard breeds in there. I decided he should have her Royal Highness with him, and then just ended up putting all five of them in there. So they are in the coop with the other chickerdoodles and were clucking happily.

I have 9 light brahmas coming later this week. They are six months old. One roo and nine hens. I am really excited! That will give me 11 hens and 2 roos of Lt Brahmas. The current roo I have has some knee issues which prevents him from being able to get busy with the girls. I should cull him, but I can't bring myself to do it. He's become a pet. Tsk tsk I know.

We finished processing our deer today. Got a freezer full of meat!

Gotta go, cooking stuff pork chops for dinner and have bread in the oven.
Wow! A freezer full of meat is a !wonderful! thing! Congratulations to dh on the deer!

You will have to post some pics of the new ones when they arrive. It sounds like you've got quite a colorful flock going on... That Monroe is a character! :D Let us know how they do with the others.

Beekissed

Mountain Sage
Reaction score
Okay, girl! Where are you? Building a ferret-town playground? Processing all that deer meat? Miss you! :)

FarmerChick

Super Self-Sufficient
Reaction score
Popping in to say HI
what's happening? anything new and exciting!?

Quail_Antwerp

Cold is on the Right, Hot is on The Left
Reaction score
I have been SEWING lol

And trying to get ready for Christmas.

Finished the deer. Didn't try canning any, but I did reserve some fat and pieces of meat that DH wasn't processing for us. Basically I picked the bones clean. DH said a vulture couldn't have done it better. That's for a very top secret project I am working on....will see how it goes. :D

Kids are keeping me on my toes.

Moved chicks from indoor brooder to brooder in the coop. YAY no more chicks in the house! well except for 2 silkie chicks.

We picked up my 9 light brahmas on Wednesday. They are happily clucking away out in their run. They are THIN though, which tells me they have not had proper nutrition. They went nuts for layer crumbles and scratch.

I'll put pics of them up soon. They are 6 months old and not anywhere near as big as they should be!

punkin

Don't Quote Me
Reaction score
Glad to hear everything is OK.

I'm sure those brahmas will fatten up under your care.

Top secret project?. . . hmmmm. . .

PamsPride

Should be Sewing
Reaction score
How fun to be getting Brahmas! I bet it is nice to have the chickies out of the house! We (as in my mom is doing it for me) are putting Quail eggs in the incubator today so I should have a hatch just before New Year's! Which means I will have birds in the house because I have to pick them up the day they are born! She has 4 house dogs so it is not even realistic for her to keep them. So far DH has not complained about the possibility of having birds in the house....I am VERY suprised!!